GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 09:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nexus - Why can't I get this off the ground????  (Read 5321 times)
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 12, 2010, 06:11 PM »

I am having trouble with my NEXUS kite.

A little about me: I have about 6 months of solid kite flying.  I have been doing nothing but control flying the last 6 months.  I decided early on that I would follow the advice of most and learn control before moving on to the stunts.  So…I have been learning control for the last 6 months.

I own mostly PRISM kites (4D, Hypnotist, Quantum, Nexus, Zephyr, Quantum Pro SUL, and a few others that you would recognize).

At a local kite festival, I was asked to teach people how to fly stunt kites.

So...with all that said…I would say that I can fly a kite.

Nexus:  I bought this thing at REI for $49.  I bought it because I heard so many people said it was a blast and a good fall back to kite.

I tried 4 separate times to get the Nexus airborne.  Each time I adjusted the bridle and thought the wind was sufficient to do it.  All 4 times I had to nearly run backward to keep it off the ground.

So…I thought it was the Piano and not the player and returned it to REI saying that there was something wrong with the kite.  I got a replacement.  Oops…it is the player?Huh

So…today I went out in the high wind and rain with the specific  goal of getting it off the ground.

The wind today was probably 10 mph…The 4D was ripping back and forth, the Zephyr was strongly flying
back and forth, and the wind was making noises in my ears.

I tried 60 ft, 50 ft, 30ft and finally 18ft lines.  Same results.

I tried the bridle at the normal, HIGH WIND setting and at the LOW WIND setting.  Same results.

Then I put the knot in the bridle PAST the low wind setting and moved it about ˝ inch on the top side of the LOW WIND setting.

It finally staying in the air long enough to fly back and forth for 20 seconds.

What the heck…is this right?  I need to move the ABOVE the highest knot ˝” to make it fly?  How in the  the world does the casual user use this kite?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:54 AM by jeepersjoey » Logged

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:05 PM »

JJ,

I think it's time to get the tape measure and camera out, measure all the bridle legs and post the details here, I'm sure someone can compare it to theirs.

I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this issue, even if it just end up being you  Wink

WD

WinterDaze AoF
jeepersjoey

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:19 AM »

My Definition: "top edge of bridle" is to where the bridle is attached to the upper spreader
My Definition: "left edge of bridle" is where the bridlge is attached to left side of lower spreader

From the top edge of bridle it is 15" to the first knot.
From the top edge of bridle it is 16.75" to the second knot
From the top edge of bridle it is 14.5" to where the bridle clip is attached

From the left edge of bridle it is 15" to the bottom knot

To restate what I said in my original post:
My understanding is that the bridle clip string is supposed to be between the top and bottom knot.  I could not get it to stay in the sky with the bridle clip connection between the two knots.  Instead, I had to move it 1/2" above the top knot as you can see in the measurements.

Do I need better or clearer pics?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:27 AM by jeepersjoey » Logged

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
MB

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:51 AM »

It might help to have a photo of full bridle with the lines attached to the bridle.

Matt
jeepersjoey

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 08:04 AM »

How about these?

[attachment deleted by admin]

jeepersjoey

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 07:08 PM »

I have an update on (trying) to fly the Nexus.

Today the winds were enough that I had to hold onto my hat and then eventually put the chin strap on it.  Additionally, a few walmart bags were seen bouncing across the field!

I dedicated 1 hour to try to keep the Nexus in the air.  I was using 150# x 85 ft length.

I tried adjusting the bridle from 1" below the lowest knot to 1" above the highest knot.  I would launch and then fly for 20 seconds to get a feel for what the kite did.  It basicly struggled to stay in the air the entire time.  After the 20 seconds I would adjust the knot up about 1/4".  I did this until the knot was 1" above the highest knot on the bridle.

The location where it seems to have the most pull and be able to stay up without me walking backward was 1/2" above the highest knot on the bridle.

I even did the entire cycle again to see if maybe I missed something.  It was consistent.  It had the pull equivalent to 2-3 lbs hanging on a piece of string.

I then did the entire adjustment thing and walked back 10-15 feet and pulled the kite off the ground.  The goal here was to see if maybe the string weight was too much.  Again I found that It had the greatest pull and stayed in the air when I had the knot 1/2" above the top knot.

After finally giving up on the Nexus I switched the lines over to the Quantum with the bridle on "Strong wind".  I was immediately pulled off my feet several times as the Quantum zipped across the sky.  After a few minutes I put away the Quantum because it had so much pull.  I figured it was going to break my 150# lines.

In contrast, when I was flying the Nexus a few moments later I would say the pull was equivalent to a maximum of 5 lbs in all my adjustment testing.  The Quantum was easily 20 lbs of pull and was flying VERY fast.

My time is way too precious to waste time with this kite.  If I cannot get at least ONE positive experience on the Nexus, this kite will be sent to the swap meet.

I am absolutely amazed that the Nexus is considered an entry kite.  Please help me understand!  If this were my first Kite, I would be on to scrapbooking as a hobby (and that is NOT a good thing!)

Again, to give you an understanding of my experience...
 I can do 360s all day long on my 4D.
 I can make adjustments to the weights on the Quantum Pro SUL and notice a difference.  I can tell when I have the weight slightly higher than I want it for the winds.
 I feel that I can fly in light winds (1-3) very well.
 I rarely have to stop, pick up the kite and walk to the front of the field because I used up all the space.  Instead I can glide it and make up ground whenever I want.

Anyone???

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 07:54 PM »

150# 85' is too long and heavy of a line for a little kite. Try 50-100# quality line in a 50' length. Adjust the kite to where you had the best results with the long heavy lines. See if that doesn't make the difference.

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:02 PM »

"stock" line with this is 65' 90# line( and iirc it reminded me more of 50# line thickness). I think i still have a nexus here someplace, if i can find it i'll measure.

Sine Metu!
WinterDaze

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 12:25 AM »

shoot some video,maybe that can help the guru's to tell by flight characteristics, include yourself in if you can so your movements can be checked off the list as well.

WinterDaze AoF
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 06:05 AM »

i wonder if the long part of the bridle is installed upside down.....
if to get the thing to fly you had to go ABOVE the knotted areas then if that line were flipped top-to-bottom that would put the attachment inside the knotted areas....
that would be a start.....

have you posted over on the prism forum asking yet?Huh

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 06:35 AM »

Bummer you're having problems.  I think I see the problem. 

Nexus is a 3 point IIRC - or that is.. my Nexus is a 3 point.  With that turbo leg you have and that I see, the nose will go way way back. 

Put the the tow point bridle back between the 2 knots of the upper and lower outhaul.  With your inhaul, move it towards the tow point. 

My measurements are:
41cm upper outhaul
41cm lower outhaul
44.5 cm inhaul           

All of Prism kites you mentioned have some sort of turbo leg.  Nexus does not.  (unless Mark made some changes in the last year or so)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:40 AM by ET » Logged
kevspilly
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 01:02 PM »

Give the upper outhaul a wrap or two round the upper spreaders on easch side. That should bring the nose forward and increase drive. It's a quick test that's easy to undo.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 03:53 PM »

Pretty sure line length/strength are not your issue. (actually I am positive)
Everett makes a great point ... your tow point appears to be in the wrong position to me also.  I haven't checked but I am pretty darned sure that it should be three point.
I made the offer in another forum ... if you can't figure it out send it to me and I will make it fly.  If the bridle is indeed the issue I am positive that Prism will send me a replacement at no charge.  Cost to you is postage (12-13 bucks max) but could save you a whole lot of further aggravation.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 05:53 PM »

Pretty sure line length/strength are not your issue. (actually I am positive)
Everett makes a great point ... your tow point appears to be in the wrong position to me also.  I haven't checked but I am pretty darned sure that it should be three point.
I made the offer in another forum ... if you can't figure it out send it to me and I will make it fly.  If the bridle is indeed the issue I am positive that Prism will send me a replacement at no charge.  Cost to you is postage (12-13 bucks max) but could save you a whole lot of further aggravation.
I'm surprised you would disagree... I've flown my Micron on longer, heavier lines, and it could barely get off the ground. Put it back on the stock lines, and it was zipping around. Just my experience, but it sounds like the same issue.

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 06:05 PM »

I tried 60 ft, 50 ft, 30ft and finally 18ft lines.  Same results.
If he were using really long and really heavy line I'd agree with you Rob.  But these are pretty short ... to real short and my experience is that it makes little difference on the weight for short lines (with in reason)... in fact I have a set of 200# lines that I fly my TTUL on in zero wind ... granted they are all of 10' long.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum