GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 01:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nexus - Why can't I get this off the ground????  (Read 5156 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 07:56 PM »

Sorry, Steve, I was just reading from the updated post, not the original when I responded. I do agree with the possibility of a defective bridle... I've gotten a Prism kite with a bridle problem, too. Same symptom. I never gave it another chance, just left it home.

jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 06:46 PM »

Next weekend I am going camping at a lake that is known for high winds.

I am going to try again there.

If after using 50# lines I am unable to get it airborne, I will take you up on the offer, Steve.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
reef runner
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 06:17 AM »

I thought this was an interesting topic.  I likewise, have had the Nexus problem.  I purchased two of them last year.  Absolutely couldn't keep them in the air.  I can't tell you how many times I launched them, only to have them simply fall out of the sky.  Likewise, on these same days, there were no problems with other two line kites.  Both of those kites have now gone bye-bye, and to this day, I still don't understand.  I just chalked it up to a bad design (?), and unfortunately, they have somewhat, tainted my opinion of Prism's newer stuff. 

Not meaning to get off subject, or to bash Prism, but I suppose I liked the older Prism designs, better.  Well I know I liked the older Prism designs (pre-E2) better, in fact much more, than the later stuff, with all the fishing swivels, etc.  I've helped a lot of new people, get started, only to find really inexcusable problems, right out of the bag.  I'll watch a new flier, come out on the dunes, straight out of the kite store, open a brand new kite, and do everything, pretty much right, but continue to struggle and crash, struggle and crash.  Then I'll usually go over and offer a hand.  How does Prism expect people (Newbie's), to learn to fly, when it's not unusual at all, to open a brand new kite, and find something like the flight lines, are not even close?  6" - 8" difference is not acceptable, in my book.  Needless to say, then I'm usually faced with a half hour ordeal, to equalize the lineset, just so I can finally show the new prospect, that his/her kite, will actually fly........  Unfortunately, after all of this failure, and standing under the broiling sun for several hours, fighting an impossible battle, and now, spending another tedious 30 minutes or more,  fighting with knots and sleeving, most "Newbie's" have completely lost interest, become disgusted, and basically abandoned the desire to get into kiting.  I've seen many, just ready to walk off and leave the whole thing, right there.  "And now before I leave, you want to teach me about line management !!!"  Not hardly !

Again, not meaning to be critical, but there are surely some problems out there.  I suppose everyone has them............sorry Prism, I didn't mean to be picking on you..........I do love my older Prisms!!

Reef Runner

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.
J. Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30 AM »

I've helped a lot of new people, get started, only to find really inexcusable problems, right out of the bag.  I'll watch a new flier, come out on the dunes, straight out of the kite store, open a brand new kite, and do everything, pretty much right, but continue to struggle and crash, struggle and crash.  Then I'll usually go over and offer a hand.  How does Prism expect people (Newbie's), to learn to fly, when it's not unusual at all, to open a brand new kite, and find something like the flight lines, are not even close?  6" - 8" difference is not acceptable, in my book.

Not to be a smart aleck, but I would think it would have made a certain amount of sense to send them right back into the store and let the retailer address the uneven linesets.   Not as a retaliatory or punitive measure,  but so the retailer can pass the issue back to Prism. Pretty sure if the frequency of this was allowed to come to full light, it would be easier for Prism to address.   

If it was a mail order, I can see being reticent about having to deal with returns, shipping, etc.  However, if it was a store that was a 180 and walking distance...

Yes, I have received uneven linesets from Prism.... not a matter of creep..... just flat out uneven.  Down the line, equalizing might not be a problem, but as an introduction to kiting... yeah, the sour aftertaste  to the purchase is definitely there.

Smaller degrees of uneven lines.... just more adjustment knots on the straps.

ATB.
Sam

P.S. Currently, I generally consider Prism linesets not quite a write-off, but close.  The Prism winders are cool looking (especially the translucent notch), but the shallow central notch generall means anything nudging the bungee will release it.  This generally happens at the worst possible time and has resulted in tangled lines. 

Sizzle Factor: High
Practical Usage: Flawed Design
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:39 AM by indigo_wolf » Logged
reef runner

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 02:58 PM »

Trust me, I have told them every time (the store).  And in all fairness, it's not just Prism.....it's just that this thread concerned a Prism kite, with which I have seen, and experienced the exact problem, however, in addition, I have seen way more, than the normal amount of uneven linesets.  I have even emailed, a well know designer of stunt kites, that we all know, and let him know, just what was happening, with some of his kites. 
It's just unfortunate, that the new fliers, usually don't have a clue, just how critical the lines are, and as you say, the frustration factor, goes through the roof.  Sometimes, it's just easier to help out.  The store can't do anything, "in the store", and they surely aren't going to come up on the dunes, and stretch out a set of lines.  What are they going to do, other than give the poor guy a new kite, that may well have the very same problem.  Again, sometimes, just for the benefit of the "Newbie", it's often easier to simply, help out, and usually, you'll make a friend............and I just love to see the smile on their faces, when they finally see their kite, "Take Flight"......................

Reef Runner

st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 03:12 PM »

I  always   carry  a few  extra   line  set  with   me  so  if  this  problem  comes   up  I  just  trade  them  lineset   and  get them  flying.  unequal  ones  home  with  me   make  them   equal   done  and  done    back in the  line  bag  for  the  next  newbie  on the  field  that  needs  an equal line  set

Good air always Bobby
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 04:04 PM »

Just pulled my Nexus out:

3 point bridle:

Uphaul: 16"
Outhaul: 16"
Inhaul: 18"

Measured with yardstick from frame to knot. Flies fine 5-15mph or so.  Shorter inhauls would make it pretty squirrelly...

I'll add that the uphaul is attached above the leading edge connector, the outhaul is attached below the leading edge connector, and the inhaul is attached just above the center T.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:19 AM by stapp59 » Logged
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 04:13 PM »

I  always   carry  a few  extra   line  set  with   me  so  if  this  problem  comes   up  I  just  trade  them  lineset   and  get them  flying.  unequal  ones  home  with  me   make  them   equal   done  and  done    back in the  line  bag  for  the  next  newbie  on the  field  that  needs  an equal line  set

Excellent solution if you happen to be there. I'm concerned with the (newbie) that is out on the field alone and gets so frustrated that they never try again

Reef Runner has the correct attitude also, I think most fliers will assist anyone having trouble with their kite, I personally have assisted many new and experienced fliers on the field with all sorts of problems

But I think continuous feed back to the kite store and manufacture needs to happen so they are aware of quality control problems

Trust me line sets are sooo much better nowadays than they were 30 years ago, you were lucky if the lines were within 3 feet of each other

I also think (it's my practice) that if you do come across a new kite flier, share some of your experience, Tell them about line maintenance, the correct way to wind up lines, how to breakdown the kite and store it away.
Tell them about getting a ground stake and how to let all the line out and prop the kite for easy launch. Discuss the wind window, and how to fly far to the edge to stall/land

Refer them to this forum and encourage them to ask questions

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:16 PM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

reef runner

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 05:22 PM »

Hey KiteKing,  I couldn't have said it better.  You know, there's a real inner pleasure, when you see that "Newbie", get that thing in the air for the first time, and finally realize, that yes, they are really flying it themselves.  I have spent many a days, helping the "Newbie", rather than flying myself, but the thanks are usually, so very rewarding, but just that smile and big grin, says it all................ Wink

Reef Runner

ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 06:15 PM »

Just pulled my Nexus out:

3 point bridle:

Uphaul: 16"
Outhaul: 16"
Inhaul: 18"

Measured with yardstick from frame to knot. Flies fine 5-15mph or so.  Shorter inhauls would make it pretty squirrelly...

3 point it is! 
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 06:18 PM »

I have a Nexus that has traveled with me in the car for several months.  Love the easy storage and small case.  Nice looking kite in green.  Line set is fine.

Only thing is I too can't get the darn thing to stay in the air.  Last evening I finally manged to keep briefly in the air after adjusting the bridle an inch above the top knot.  I really want to like this kite cause it travels so nicely.  But darned if it will fly nicely.

Anyone made any modes to the kite, bridle or frame to make this a likable kite?

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 06:50 PM »

Me again!

So the Nexus stayed in my bag for the last few months and I pulled it out this weekend after I crashed and broke the spine on the Quantum.

The wind was too much for the Quantum.  I had 4 tails hanging off the Quantum and it was still too high of a wind.

I bring out the Nexus and I flew it for 10 full minutes before it crashed into the ground and ALSO broke the spine.

WOW what a windy day!

The only way it stayed up was that the wind was about 15 mph.

That is the key...it needs a very hard, steady wind to fly.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 06:59 PM »

Sorry mine flew without and adjustments, what is your typical wind speed?? They do need a fair amount to stay aloft

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Victrinia Ridgeway
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 08:33 PM »

I have two unmodified Nexus kites... and generally don't try to fly them if there isn't at least 5 mph of wind.... I've never had trouble with either of them when flying in the right wind. In truth it's really not that large of a kite. I can get a Silver Fox in the air before the Nexus even though it weighs more, because the sail is larger.

Of course for low wind days we have a Next... which is awesome... but even a Next doesn't like to fly without a lot of running around if there isn't a little better than 2mph up there.

15 mph....lol not surprised the spines were toasted. The wind ratings are not nearly so wide as the manufacturers claim... I wouldn't want to fly without a vented in that kind of wind... which I have as well.

In the end it's about having the right kite for the wind.  Wink I am taking them on vacation with me next week though... because of their nice small size... along with my new parafoil.  Grin

Victrinia

Flying the edge of the window and lovin' it...
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 05:04 AM »

15 mph....lol not surprised the spines were toasted. The wind ratings are not nearly so wide as the manufacturers claim... I wouldn't want to fly without a vented in that kind of wind... which I have as well.

In the end it's about having the right kite for the wind.  Wink I am taking them on vacation with me next week though... because of their nice small size... along with my new parafoil.  Grin

Victrinia

Like a vented Rev! (Or a parafoil.)

Bob D.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change