GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 07:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Exciting News - new kite from Lam  (Read 8680 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 02:45 PM »

There's at least a dozen kites that are smaller than the SD or FL.
There's at least a dozen kites that flic flac quite well.
And there's more than a dozen kites that are in the $300 price range.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 03:22 PM »

Denny

But they aren't made by Lam.

Look Lam has his following, people that like the way his kites fly, so this is a smaller more economical kite for Sky Sport fans. Maybe also for some that can't pull the $$ trigger on a Fearless. Others may not like the style, oh well there's plenty of other kites out there.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
DWayne

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 04:22 PM »

James, I've got nothing against him or his kites. I watched the video a few times and it looks like a nice kite. I was just wondering what, if anything, sets it apart from the crowd.

Denny

Dolphinboy

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2010, 05:14 PM »

James, I've got nothing against him or his kites. I watched the video a few times and it looks like a nice kite. I was just wondering what, if anything, sets it apart from the crowd.

Denny

I'm thinking that (and this is just my opinion) Lam is thinking about his business and customers / potential customers. Smart move making a kite that is a lot more affordable even if it's still around 300 bucks, that could be a easier decision than $450-550. I haven't seen the graphics but I bet they're easier to sew.

We'll have to see how it handles because the wind in that video is kind of stiff.  The smaller size just may be more the result of hitting a price point than trying to make a smaller kite. Lam told me it was "just a little smaller than the Fearless" but didn't give a wing span.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 07:07 PM »

We don't yet know what sets this kite apart, none of us have yet flown it.  I'll be happy to post my thoughts once I fly one.  I think James nailed it to some degree - a nicely priced Lam style kite.

6 kite tom
Beachbum
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2010, 09:03 PM »

I think we're back to
Overall I don't think it's an especially easy kite to fly well. Hit the spot, it's epic.....
Back on topic, what's this new kite do that a dozen other kites can't do just as well?

Denny

It's a Lam kite

Denny

IT'S A LAM KITE!

Denny

One last time, i-t-'-s a L-a-m k-i-t-e

Give a man a TNT and all of sudden he's a kite snob....jerk.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2010, 09:59 PM »

Will fly for food Lam
Someone else, more wise than I, coined the term Laminates to describe people with this level of devotion.  Wink

Shall we all wait awhile before completely losing the plot over this one ? Nice enough video. Nothing decided either way, I'd say.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Dolphinboy

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2010, 10:11 PM »

Shall we all wait awhile before completely losing the plot over this one ? Nice enough video. Nothing decided either way, I'd say.

Fair enough. But I still am excited to give this kite a spin.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Beachbum
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2010, 10:31 PM »

If it was anything like his small Fearless prototype he brought to KP5 then it's gonna be a great kite. 

Someone else, more wise than I, coined the term Laminates to describe people with this level of devotion.  Wink

I am just against all those who doubt the Master.  Kool Aid?
Dolphinboy

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2010, 11:38 PM »

I am just against all those who doubt the Master.  Kool Aid?

Fearless Kool-Aid anyone?

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
tempest

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2010, 04:55 AM »

Patience  Cool  Cool Patience  Cool  Cool everyone  Cry  Cry
DWayne

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2010, 05:23 AM »

One last time; What's it do that my 5 year old Deep Space won't do just as well?

Besides turn otherwise sane fliers into drones of the cult

Denny

Winged V

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2010, 05:50 AM »

Callin The Kettle What ?

King-J

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2010, 08:20 AM »

I'm what I consider a beginner at this sport, I have only been doing tricks for about the last year to year and a half and not real great at it yet Embarrassed
I own several different kites and for me, some do some tricks easier than others depending on the trick.
I have notice here on the forum a lot of hype about one kite being the best of the best, it has come to me that every kite is a little different and each one has it's own personality, just as the fliers that I have had the opportunity to fly with, It is my conclusion that any talented flier can make any kite look good, and that most, but not all of how a kite can trick is in the ability of the flyer and how they become one with the kite.
Every individual will have their go to kite that they have become one with and they will become a fan of this kite and builder and some will become fans of several builders such as me, I enjoy trying new kites and would like to thank those individuals for the opportunity to have tried theirs.
Inconclusion it is nice to see individual kite builders develop new kite designs for their style of flying and share them with us (Thank You).
Try something different, Try a different kite Grin

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Dolphinboy

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2010, 09:45 AM »

One last time; What's it do that my 5 year old Deep Space won't do just as well?

Besides turn otherwise sane fliers into drones of the cult

Denny

Since I haven't tried one and the video is of limited use, it's hard to say. But I own a DS and several of Lam's kites and I can give a general difference. I would suspect that the Transformer will have certain qualities in common with Lams other kites.

It will definitely feel different than a DS. The tricks will look different too, edgier / sharper and less rolly polly.

Less oversteer.

Deeper Turtle. This changes all tricks that go on their back. It also changes the timing allowing the flier to delay the inputs while the kite is on it's back if they desire or not. This gives a greater latitude in those tricks and allows for a more varied pace.

More precise. Once on track the DS holds a straight line but the Sea Devil / Fearless cut a cleaner corner with much less slop.

In my opinion, nicer Cascade.

Nicer Taz

The DS probably Backspins a little easier

Wap do Waps better

Spins faster, so tricks like a Spin Axel can be done quicker with a snap to them.

Makes me smile and laugh out load when I trick it.

They are both made as well as anything out there. I like my DS but I LOVE my Fearless Vented Light. The overall qualities of the tricks just fit my style better.

Peace
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:49 AM by Dolphinboy » Logged

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change