GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 03:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to buy a new kite  (Read 3284 times)
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: June 14, 2010, 04:11 PM »

Hello,
I am looking to get a new kite for an OBX vacation. I have been traveling there for years and flying dual line kites has probably been the favorite part of my vacation. I currently own an old New Tech M-80 and a Firecracker that are getting some age to them. I want something I can progress with, has good precision and is trickable. The kites I am looking at are the Acrobatx, the Insync, Silver Fox, and Premier Widow. The latter two are probably just out of my price range. I live in inland VA, so the kite that is better in lower inland winds would be my preference. Thanks for your help.
Gamelord

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:25 PM »

The Widow would be my first choice.  The Insync and Silver Fox 2.5 would be second.

Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:46 PM »

The Widow would be my first choice.  The Insync and Silver Fox 2.5 would be second.

Did Gamelord say an Insync ??

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3383.0
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 03:52 AM »

Of those, I would think the Widow would take you the farthest down the road. My Acrobatx would fall apart if I looked at it funny, it was a fun kite, but I was constantly fixing it. I don't know about the SF or the Insync, but I haven't heard alot of great things about them. What about the E3 or Hypnotist from Prism ? They're around the same price as the others mentioned, and they give good bang for the buck.
The kite that you fly at OBX will probably be different than the one you end up flying at home... inland wind vs. the shore are extremely different, and getting a kite that will cover both would be a more expensive kite. You could buy one kite for ~$300 or 2 kites for ~$150 to cover the range.
~Rob.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 06:10 AM »

Did Gamelord say an Insync ??

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3383.0

new members are not allowed to see the swap meet for a few posts....you might want to have the seller see this thread....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Stuart99

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:46 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I see what you are saying about the more expensive kites, however, if I buy one of the above kites I can have a kite and a mad wife. If i get a blue moon or some other quality kite, I can have a nice kite and be single. If I could get one and her not find out about it, I would be golden.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 08:51 AM »

Out of your choices, get a widow. Save up and grab one. Their not the 'top quality' kites but they are well made and durable. I flew one for a video Jon T and I did and liked it a lot. Here's the video...
Premier Kites Widow

The silver fox will wear faster then the widow and you'll find yourself replacing a kite faster then if you go with a Widow. Spend a little more time on the ones you have, save a smidge more, and grab the widow. Great kite that'll take you a long ways.

Just my 2cents. Goodluck!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 10:19 AM »

Grin hmmm    it   would  be  a   easy   choice  for  me   I  would   go   with  the realy   nice  kite  and   be  single   but  then   that  is  just  me   and  if  I had  to  chose out  of the  3  ya  had  listed    would  go  with the  Widow    a  lil   more  change  up  front   but   the kite  will  last   awhile  and  grow   with  you   big   time 

Good air always Bobby
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 06:17 AM »

I know what you mean about having to keep your wife in the loop. Try the birthday, Father's Day, Hannukah, and Christmas angle. Spread out over a few holidays it might make the pain in the checkbook less. It's really worth spending a few more dollars to get a kite that can really help you in your journey. And if you've been flying a few years you know it's something that you're serious about.

Bob D.
Stuart99

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 07:07 AM »

The search is over. With some excellent politicking I was able to get the wife to fold. Hopefully I will be the owner of a brand new exile sometime in the next few weeks.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 07:42 AM »

The Exile is the way to go! I love mine! The question might become whether to get the standard or the UL. The standard WILL go pretty low. It's a little harder to trick in higher wind so it's sweet spot is in moderate wind. But then that's pretty true for a lot of standards. (I'd probably get the standard because it will become your go-to kite. When the wind gets too light you'd probably want to pack it up and go home anyways if you can't fly it comfortably.) Now do something nice for your wife!

Bob D.
Stuart99

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 06:22 PM »

Well, here it is...don't think I did to bad.  Grin
The picture doesn't do the florescent orange justice. It's a masterpiece, can't wait to fly it this weekend.

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 06:36 PM »

cool man, be sure and let us know what you think and how things are going.

Fdeli
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 06:37 PM »

Great looking Exile.
And they fly even better than they look.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 07:38 PM »

Now THAT is a sharp exile! nice job

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography