GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 04:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Addiction  (Read 1646 times)
tyt921
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 16, 2010, 01:44 AM »

hey folks,

so i been flew roughly about 6 times, and i currently own the Prism nexus, and Prism hypnotist. I know it might not be necessary for now to get another one. But if i were to get another kite, what might i be looking for?

As far as i can tell, for myself, i find it difficult to fly sometimes, with both kites, because sometimes wind is strong, but also sometimes its too low. So i assume im looking for a light wind kite that is willing to fly when my hypnotist and nexus isnt willing to. Will i be looking for a UL or just a good light standard kite will do?

kites im thinking about are:
Silver Fox 2.3 (i dont know whether the 2.5 or 2.3 its confusing!!!) UL or standard....no idea!!!!
SOUL (same problem, i dont know whether UL or standard for me, i live in SAN FRANCISCO!)
4D (thats a no brainer...but at that price, i rather buy a full size)
Saber II (not even sure if i am ready for it, im a beginner!)
E3

thanks for any input!
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:19 AM »

You'll get lot of suggestions for peoples favourite kite of the moment but they may not suit your local conditions - try to find some local fliers, see what they're flying and ask if you can try a few of their kites to see what you like.

It beats buying something just on a recommendation only to find you don't like it.

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 02:52 AM »

If the winds are too strong for the Hypnotist, it's either time to go home, or maybe fly a foil and get dragged around. You certainly need an UL or SUL, though. Just because there's no wind, that's no reason to go home...
I like the NikNak and Ozone for no wind, and the Fearless Tattoo is probably my favorite next to no wind trick kite. It requires the least wind to get tricking of all my kites.
~Rob.

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:25 AM »

I fly Revs when the wind is too high to make duals fun. There's not a lot you can do about that. At the other end, you want something that can fly in low wind - too low and you WILL have trouble. SULs are fragile and fly differently than standards. I like ULs (ultra lights) because they're a little sturdier and can still fly pretty low - though you will need SOME wind. I've heard good things about the 4D but you'd have to find and talk to anyone who's got experience with them. I've also heard good things about the Saber II. Will Sturdy is a good guy and give you some straight talk about it. Maybe see about getting feedback on that one too.

If you're still pretty new to flying, I'd stay away from the SULs because it's almost a certainty that you'll break it. The Silver Fox UL might be a good step up but it would be a stepping stone if you think you'll stay with it. If you're not sure, then opt to make an incremental step.

Bob D.
Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 04:04 PM »

UMMMmmmmm

The Real Question is here are you Using the trim adjustments the right way??? Prism nexus, and Prism hypnotist Both have the ability to Change the Trim on the kite and allow for MORE or even LESS wind. Now granted I would not suggest you do this as a NEW PILOT!~!~! However I have flown a  Prism hypnotist in 20-25Mph winds. Now if your Not moving the Basic Trim and your kite is set at the Factory spot for all of 10 to 12MPH Ideal conditions. Your kite will be screaming across the ski and ready to snap in Half.

Your Nexus will handle up to about 18Mph really easy and as low as 5 on short lines no problem at all!~! Again by adjusting the Tow point and Trim setting. 

So again my real Questions to you is Are you Changing your Trime settings to Accomidate the proper Winds you are trying to fly in???

Fast Eddy
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 02:59 PM »

Just enjoy the kites you have.  Fly alone as much as possible so you're not overly influenced.  Stay off of kite forums and out of kite stores!  If you're really, really lucky you can kick this addiction before you lose your significant other or max out your credit cards on a bunch of cool looking kites that pretty much do the same thing.

Ron
tyt921
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 11:12 PM »

right on man....

for a while there, i lost all my interest in everything i used to love doing. drawing, hanging out with my friends, roomates, family. all i could think about was kties kites kties kites, and buying accessories and such.

recently, weather was bad, winds blowing up the whole town. so i went back to normal, hanging out with friends, studying, and doing other stuff. now i find kiting once i while can be more rewarding than going down to the beach everyday.

hehe. thanks for that comment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum