GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 11:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whiskers distance  (Read 825 times)
elchiquitin
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 16, 2010, 12:31 PM »

I do not understand the meaning of closing the whiskers on each side, or separate them, ( I have 4 whiskers 2 on each side but masque has only 2 instead of four, I am only asking not for masque tipus)
What are the results?

Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:47 PM »

On kites with two standoffs per side, pulling them together has the effect of shortening them. This has multiple effects and what exactly happens depends heavily on everything else involved in the design.

Possible results of bringing them closer can include:
-Making pitch slightly loopier
-Improving flat spins
-Introducing/growing a dead spot
-Making multilazies and backspins slower/flatter
-Decreasing turning precision and tracking
-Making landings more difficult
-Making the kite feel slightly behind your inputs

All of that is based upon experience with my own designs. What kite are you talking about?

Most modern kites have the standoffs fairly close together. Bringing the ends closer along the spreader will not make a huge difference. Unless you're a really good flier who has lots of time on the kite, you probably won't notice the change. Kites like the Exile or STX with a larger space between the standoffs will of course show this change much more.

On kites with single standoffs on each side, tilting them inwards has the same effect as moving both standoff connectors closer to the T on kites with 2 per side.
It gives some of the advantages/disadvantages of shorter standoffs placed farther towards the tips on the sail.
It also changes the tension on the sail. There will be more tension pulling away from the spine and less away from the tips. This can reduce leading edge curve as well as loosening the outer trailing edge. This can sometimes be advantageous for precision.

Again everything varies upon the kite.
elchiquitin
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 02:59 PM »

Thank you very much.

One of my kites with this capability is my MOA  and MOA UL  drôle, in fact they have the whiskers the farest way between them.

Elchiquitin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography