GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 04:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone help me...  (Read 1421 times)
Hohenstauffen
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 19, 2010, 08:45 PM »

I've been flying for awhile now, but get so frustrated trying to remember how to do any simple trick. I spend a lot of time walking to my kite with strings wrapped up. I think I spent too much time in the sun today. Is there anyone in the Biglerville/Gettysburg PA area who could fly with me and offer some help. I have Dodd Gross's video and of course it looks easy when he does it, but I'm a very slow learner. I realized I needed help when I was cursing and then reminding myself that this is a fun hobby.....
Thanks,
Don
mtk beach flyer

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 10:08 PM »

Hey Don,

Sorry to here you are having trouble with learning tricks.  The biggest thing to remember is you are suppose to be having fun.  I just started to work on tricking.  I have been flying for about a year and took the advice from the prism video.  I learned how to do all types of stall's and most recovery's before I tried my first axel.  It seems that I don't seem to be walking to my kite much and I seem to be progressing at a rate that I am happy with.  I know you did not ask for advice but hope this helps.

Good luck
Richie
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 10:31 PM »

Heck, you live right in Dodd's back yard!

He's an approachable guy and I'm sure that he would be happy to help you out with the basics.  I'd send him an email (I imagine that you could find it on SkyDogs site) and see what happens.

-Tom

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:52 AM »

The way I hear it, Dodd doesn't get out and fly that much unless he's at a festival or appearance, but there is another flyer that lives nearby who's out all the time, tricking his Sea Devils.Maybe he'll check in here, he says he frequents the forum...

If not... read this post...

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3410.msg31286#new

Excellent ! I've been learning on my own for years, too, and it has its moments, ups & downs, but is so satisfying when you do finally crack something !

Winged V

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:08 AM »

Hi Don,
I live in Wrightsville and fly daily my main field is on top of hill @ Sam Lewis state park a couple miles off route 30 @ at the Susquehanna River.Winds are good in all directions, except when coming from the west then I go to RexRoth park Which is a few miles from Sam Lewis.

Shoot me a email if you are going to head this way and we will fly together.

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 06:37 AM »

Hi Don,
I live in Wrightsville and fly daily my main field is on top of hill @ Sam Lewis state park a couple miles off route 30 @ at the Susquehanna River.Winds are good in all directions, except when coming from the west then I go to RexRoth park Which is a few miles from Sam Lewis.

Shoot me a email if you are going to head this way and we will fly together.
I guess you do frequent the forum... that was quick.

Don, I don't know how close you guys are, but it would certainly be worth a ride to fly with this guy, he really knows what he's doing. I got to fly with him a little bit at Wildwood. Plus, the scenery looks pretty nice at WV's flying field.  Smiley

Hohenstauffen

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 08:07 PM »

Thanks so much for your responses. How do I find Winged V's email address? It's blocked in the profile. Wrightsville is about an hour's drive for me which would be well worth it to get some pointers.
My email is: dstauffer120@comcast.net
Carlton

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 03:29 AM »

I realized I needed help when I was cursing and then reminding myself that this is a fun hobby.....

Been there. done that. In the same boat, but I live in Hong Kong, so I just keep telling myself "it's a fun hobby, damn it!

So the wife asks, "Why learn a half axle if you can already do a full axle?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum