GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism E3 as carry-on?  (Read 1477 times)
skykbass
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 21, 2010, 11:47 PM »

Will the Prism E3 completely broke down, and sleeved, be considered carry-on like an umbrella or fishing pole? I also have a standard carry-on bag going as well, so...  I call and get the run-around from Delta, and the representative even gave a fake number to TSA that ended up being a trucking company! Huh How do all you guys get around the country with your wings?
skykbass
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:57 PM »

I guess I should have added, I don't want to check any baggage, as well. C'mon, I gotta make it to Sea-Tac with my E3!  Cry
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 05:34 AM »

You should be able to get away with it, BUT

Carry-on luggage is at the discretion of the airline.  If the flight is crowded enough, they can force you to check in items at the gate as you are boarding the plane. 

That's happened to me once and boy was everyone thrilled about that particular monkey dance.

Instead of calling the 800 number for Delta, try getting the number for the Delta desk at the airport during off-peak hours. 

I would still put in it something in addition to the Prism sleeve, regardless of whether it is a cardboard mailing tube, capped PVC, or a architectural drafting tube.  Even in the overhead compartment, you have little control of shifting luggage and some late boarder trying to cram in a last minute item.

ATB,
Sam
tempest

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:41 AM »

You can check out my thread on the 9th April. page 5
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:43 AM by tempest » Logged
indigo_wolf

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:20 AM »

Direct link to tempest's thread.

ATB,
Sam
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 08:44 AM »

I've commented on these threads before that I've taken broken down kites in the Zephyr case on various flights across the US.  Sometimes I put the case in the overhead, sometimes I ask the flight attendants if I can put it in the small coat closet usually reserved for first class.  No problems either way.

Last week, I flew to Boston with one of the new, collapsable Skates by Focus.  I broke it down to half-length, and just stuck it in my backpack.  The top extended maybe 12" beyond the top of my backpack, but nobody at the airport (TSA, gate, flight attendants) said anything about it.  I put the backpack under the seat in front of me with the kite extending back into my legroom.  No problems.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:49 AM by Jared » Logged
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 09:00 AM »

+1 on the zephyr case. they work well for all travels. I take them on the megabus when I come from for something from Chicago.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 11:07 AM »

Makes sure to say they are kites when checking them through security.
I have broken down the le on several of my kites and just velcroed the bunch together and never had any issues.

Sine Metu!
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:41 PM »

I've used the Z case with no problems going through security or on the planes.

Last trip to LV a couple of weeks ago I had some Revs and SLKs in a 40" bag, along with a ground stake, tent stake for the SLKs, and lines. No problem there also. Rarely does anyone question what they are.

If your carry-on kite bag (or a couple of kites banded together) is thin enough, it'll generally fit in the narrow space of the overhead bin behind the carry-on luggage.

Bob
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 07:17 PM »

During Memorial Day I flew from Denver to Minneapolis.

I packed all but the spine of my Zephyr in my checked bag.  The 34" spine was 2" longer than my bag (corner to corner).

I carried the Spine with my like a stick the whole way.  Only one question of what it was by TSA.

It was fun the stand leaning against the wall (the wife was in the bathroom) tapping the stick on my shoulder in the busy airport.  Strangely enough no one came within 34" of me!

hehe

I think I am going to get a flambeau bazuka rob case for the next time I fly.  Do a search for "flambeau bazuka"

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Bent
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:03 PM »

I took my E3 broken down in its original case through Atlanta and Salt Lake about a month ago with no issues.  Had a wonderful time at Orange Beach Alabama, just before the oil came ashore.  Nothing like those white sandy beaches stretching on and on for miles !!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document