GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 05:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Kite is the BEST!!  (Read 1523 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: June 20, 2010, 11:16 AM »

There has been a lot of muddling of my previous post about Lam's new kite, so I'd thought I would start a new thread that may be more to the point.

When you find a kite that you really like and you have tried enough others to know what else is available, then you start to have your favorites.

I think most great kites are like this - DS, Talon, Nirvana, Widowmaker, Gemini, Fearless, SD, probably most others that have a following.

They have unique properties that make people value them - an identifiable flying style/look/move (however you want to say it) that they excel at.  I think thats why people say that this kite tracks like a Nirvana, or yoyos like a Talon, Taz's like a Cosmic, or multi-lazys like a Fearless.  They all do most everything well, but they have strengths that the designer built into them.

The other side is a kite that does nothing particularly well, but alot of things pretty decently - call it well rounded, or and all-arounder.  You know, you fly the kite and it readily does all the business, but nothing really stands out.  Personally, I don't care too much to these - they are too "on the fence" for me and just not all that fun to fly (boring).

I guess another category would be kites that just flat out are no good - there are alot of those.  Maybe they are ok for someone learning to control and land the kite, but spending time trying to learn to trick them can be a waste of time. 

If you like a specific kites strengths / unique features (or perhaps you prefer one that is more neutral) then its a good match for you.  I think that the best way to evaluate a kite is to watch what the designer/experienced flyer does with it.  If you like what you see, then try it out to see if it fits your needs and style.

Lastly, some kites are just much more (positively) unique than others - they really stand out.  You are a lucky flyer if your journey leads you to find one of these, but no single kite can do that for everyone because it all depends on what you are searching for.

6 kite tom
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 11:32 AM »

It is a good thing for me that there are different styles of kites out there. I'm kind of a kite tramp, I enjoy switching to a different kite now and then for a change of pace.

I want to try them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I do have a couple of favorites Grin

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:22 PM »

+1!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 02:51 PM »

I've been stuck on Lam's kites since the Master Control came out. Tried a bunch of others but they all went away.

No kite is the best kite but these forgive my clumbsy hands well. Smiley

"Do what you like"
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 01:24 PM »

All I notice is that I was always going back to the same kites: Nirvana (original with Icone frame) Nirvana UL and my set of Talon...So I guess I did find what makes me click... :PAnd I bought/sold almost every high end kite out there... ???For me the search is over... Smiley

The new Frank!
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:56 AM »

I'm concentrating on the Nirvanas and starting to really like the way they fly. I have some other kites that are more forgiving for their areas of specialty (Exile, Widow Maker, Fearless, Deep Space) but I want  to develop my skills and learn the inputs that will let me fly anything well (down the road.)

I have to admit that I caved the last time I was out and flew my Deep Space for an hour. I HAD to fly something else. I'm a kite tramp too. I'm in it for the long haul in any case.

Bob D.
PAW
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 01:40 PM »

If you like a specific kites strengths / unique features (or perhaps you prefer one that is more neutral) then its a good match for you.  I think that the best way to evaluate a kite is to watch what the designer/experienced flyer does with it.  If you like what you see, then try it out to see if it fits your needs and style.
That`s why I also call a V-Masque and a Fury.85 mine too  Wink
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:38 AM by PAW » Logged
Flying High
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 03:54 AM »

level one -JJF matzel edition, an amazing kite, performance amazing, or aerostar Sano hybrid ul-std. Smaller kites flown on shorter lines but OMG worth every penny you pay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change