GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 07:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat(1)  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the spare spar on my Jeff Howard fighter?  (Read 2268 times)
mfaoro
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 23, 2010, 07:35 AM »

Used to be a pretty active poster on these (or related forums). Have kind of lets kites go for a decade  Shocked and Im now getting back into a bit.

First question. I have one of Jeff Howards beautiful fighter kites. It has three spars. The position of two of them are pretty obvious. The third is completely puzzling me. One side is connected to the center/spin spar. The other looks like it might have been the same way but the fitting broke.

Can anyone give me any advice about how this spar is used/aligned/set up so I can get back to enjoying that kite?

Thanks,
Michael
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 08:46 AM »

which fighter?
fandango? flick? indoor? hoopty? there are a few of them......
picture?
most likely it is a rod that forces the bow in the spine...is there a small bit of tubing at the nose of the kite???  Jeff made them with a rod holding that bow instead of a bit of line.....

possibly kitehead? on  http://www.csun.edu/~ghsiung/review4.html
The frame is
pretty unusual, a second "half spine" runs from the nose to about the mid
point. This acts as a brace, allowing you to bow the fairly flexible spine
into a ridgid arch. The arch adjusts the sail tension from slack to drum
tight. I've never flown such an adjustable fighter!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mfaoro

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:16 AM »

Thanks Thief Smiley

Since I posted this morning I have found the kite on the web. I believe it was called the 'Standard.'

And yes, your explanation sounds right. What was puzzling me was that the top fitting must have broke off and disappeared so there was no real indication of where it went.

Speaking of where it went...Was the location of the tubing that mounted the extra spar to the kite on either side of where the wing spreader spar/rod crosses the spine? I assume so since there are little stoppers glued to the spine.

Will have to think of a quick fix if I want to play with it this weekend. May try some heat shrink tubing if I can think if a way of shrinking it without hurting the kite or the spars. There is always duct tape Wink.

Always had a hard time controlling this kite. Not sure why...its one reason I want to get it back in operating condition. My only thought a decade ago (the kite is dated '97) was that it was too advanced a fighter for me. I was more used to simple/cheap models from Into the Wind, etc.

Michael

Michael
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:00 AM »

Jeff uised silicone tubing...you need it to hold onto the spine well and not slide at all...in a fix duct tape might work but will leave that nasty a$$ residue.....
the location should be a few inches below where the spine crosses the spreader and the upper end should be at the nose....
those stoppers you speak of might be just for the bridle....

i do not have my hands on a fighter right now..and i searched for a picture of the back of one but could not find one.....
if you are able to shoot a pic and post (or email it to me and i can post) that would be great...and i am also guessing that at least one person has followed this thread and is doing the same thing -> trying to get a picture for us....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mfaoro

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:43 AM »

Thanks Thief. Good point about the bridle.

When I get home I will try to get a picture up. Silicone tubing eh...maybe a trip to the hardware store is in order...

Michael
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:34 AM »

Here is a Fandango Fighter by Jeff Howard:

Here is a Hoopty Fighter by Jeff Howard (probably not too helpful):
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:42 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 12:28 PM »

Here is a Hoopty Fighter by Jeff Howard (probably not too helpful):

Maybe not... but thank for the giggle anyway.  Cheesy  Cheesy

ATB,
Sam
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:28 PM »

I think the Standard was pretty similar to the Hoopty -- though not to Chilese's smashed one! I've really enjoyed flying Jeff's fighters, though I HATE his carbon-rod spine-bend adjusters! I've sold almost all of my JH fighters largely because I couldn't get them to stop slipping once they started! (Anybody want a Fandango that looks just like the one in the photo? The adjuster doesn't slip. . . yet!) And I built one Hoopty clone, which works fine with a spine tensioner made out of string and knots!

It's pretty easy to make a good spine-bend adjuster out of some string and some knots, and maybe a glass bead or two if you want to get REALLY fancy. There are several excellent designs at fighterkitecentral.com (Bruce Lambert's site).

They'll all work more reliably than the rod, and weigh less. Carbon-fiber rods are GREAT where you need flexional or torsional stiffness, or compression strength. But in pure tension, where a string will do the job better. . . WHY, Jeff?!?

Norm in Toronto
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 03:34 PM »

Jeff will fix it for you at his shop In Corpus Christi. He redid mine a few years ago, just like new...Smiley

"Do what you like"
mfaoro

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 04:02 PM »

Good to know. Thanks. A little late for my trip down to Oregon this weekend but I will probably do just that once I get back.

Have to track down Peter Betancourt to give my Wind Whip UL two-liner some love...
And then there is Prism to get my Eclipse back in the air...
And then there is my Obsession...

Getting back into the sport = getting everything fixed first Smiley.

Jeff will fix it for you at his shop In Corpus Christi. He redid mine a few years ago, just like new...Smiley
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 05:39 PM »

For now, just take the bow spar off. I removed it from one of my PKC fighters and the thing flew pretty good flat. Not a stable, but that's OK.

Have fun!

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document