GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 01:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some new kites I got today  (Read 2544 times)
try1897
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 23, 2010, 09:36 PM »

First up was the Brasington Sky Song... Wind today 8 to 14 and somewhat choppy... The first thing is that when I got to the field I realized I'd forgoten my bag of line. I had a spool of line that is 180lb. braided decron so it was a bit heavy for the kites I had with me. The SS took to the sky like a champ even with the heavier line and was a joy to fly .It seems to fly on the wind like a delta yet dance if you ask it to. like a diamond kite... The next up was another Brasington kite the Sphinx...Now this one is a diamond kite kind of... but not exactly. It does fly like one and fly it does . A pure joy to fly ...what fun and a good looker to boot. Then last up was a Martin Lester Rainbow Bird... What can I say ..First off I forgot the bag it came in and thus the instructions so I spent a good hour figuring out how it went together...But it was worth the hassel cause it flys like a bird another great flyer and the first bird type kite I've flown  without a long tail to stablize it. This kite flys great just as it is and was alot of fun ... All in all three great kites and a beautiful day of flying.... Smilin' Tom in W.V.

TRY Mayfly
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:41 PM »

Until you post pictures, you're just tormenting us.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 03:15 AM »

I have a well worn Rainbow Bird and love it.  It seems to fly in next to nothing.  Higher winds, though, tend to fray the edges.

Ron
try1897

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 05:11 AM »

I can see that about the edges fraying cause it did tend to flap its wings in kind of a high speed fluttering ....  I'm looking for a new camera as my old one pooped the bed and I've been without for quite awile.... Smilin' Tom

TRY Mayfly
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 12:42 PM »

I think I'll just sit here and smile for awhile. It's rare we get such a great review on this forum.
 Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
try1897

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 07:35 PM »

I got a parafoil thats 10' x3' and tapers to 2' at each end. The kite has 30 lines to each side  for a total of 60 . It's a two line kite . The thing also has two tail loops ( one in the center of each half). I didn't know you flew parafoils like this with tails?HuhHuh??I have been working on learning to fly the thing trial and error and it's been mostly error . I am getting better though. I had a line snap a few days ago and fell to the ground . The kite has pull I'll give it that. Does anyone know what lb. line I should be using ? I didn't realize the kite was going to pull that hard but it does. I think it's a three meter kite?Huh??Whats the wind range for something like this?I think I need some chewing gum for the bottom of my feet!  Or maybe lead boots......Tom

TRY Mayfly
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 07:39 PM »

Hey  Tom  sorry to  kinda  hijack  your  thread  but  what part  of  WV  ya  in  any were  near  Canneen valley HuhHuh

Good air always Bobby
try1897

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 09:03 PM »

Hi there , I'm all the way to the east in the Eastern Panhandle. Thats the other part of W.V. I think they should devide the state and form a new state with the Panhandle. It's so much like Hagerstown Md. and Winchester Va. and D.C. And Baltimore Weve become part of the big city.  Maybe call it East West Virginia Anyway I live in Martinsburg north on US 11 just outside the city limits. I'm from D.C. and the burbs in Md. ( Rockville)  moved up here 20 some odd years ago.  I have  relatives that lived  in the valley on the road that takes you to the ski resort. They moved to Flordia however a couple years ago....Tom

TRY Mayfly
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 09:18 PM »

I got a parafoil thats 10' x3' and tapers to 2' at each end...  Does anyone know what lb. line I should be using ? ...  I think it's a three meter kite?Huh?? Whats the wind range for something like this? ......Tom

Without knowing the design of the kite and it's actual pull you can only make a guess based off similar sized kites.

The Prism Tensor 3.1 comes with 500 lb upper lines which also serve as the lines in dual mode when using the control bar. Manufactures often equip kites with lines a bit heavier then needed for safety so you might get away with something in the 300 - 400 lb range if you keep to reasonable wind ranges. If you fly above 15 mph or try jumping I'd stick to 500 lb. Wind range is probably 4/5 mph up to what you can handle safely. If you're standing and not using a buggy etc. 15 mph on a 3 meter is probably a safe upper limit, my 3.5 meter Beamer is dangerous to yourself and bystanders above that (although fun  Wink  )

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:23 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
st3307

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 09:17 AM »

Well  if  you can get  over to  the   resort   on     the   3rd and the  4th  the  is  going  to  be a  kite   fest  there.   and  I can  give  ya     some  pointers  on  dual   line  flying  if  ya  like   cause   I  and  the  wife will be there

Good air always Bobby
try1897

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:17 AM »

Well I never got to go to Canneen the past 4 th . As it turns out my better half got sick and needed to stay in bed most of the holiday weekend. I did manage to get some flying in between nursing dutys but my mind was elseware. Jeanie and I are both disabled and living on combined Gov. disability. Sucks actually. But thats another story for another time and place...The rather large 2 line stunt kite came Fedex last week and was I ever amazed. Yes its a cheap kite and heavy at 15 +oz. but the sheer pull and roar make up for its lack of abilitys and at 8 foot 6 inches I can actually keep it in the air . I really do think working with the two line parafoils gave me some help when I tried the stunter again. As you know my first try was an Xkite small stunt thing that I was never able to fly at all.Then came the power 3 meter parafoil and I got pretty good flying it standing so when I build a kart I'll have some abilitys. Then came this stunter and man it truly does ROAR when at speed and goes by with a Growl and pulling a ton. It's been said that it won't trick and is very limited in its abilitys but then again so am I. And so I'm having a great time carving up the sky on 120 ft. 200 lb. line and man that thing is out there and also I'm draging tails to slow it even more. But I can FLY!!!  Sure I crash it here and there but flying more than crashing now and loving it.....Poor Old Tom

TRY Mayfly
try1897

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 02:11 AM »

Well my kite collection has grown a bunch and I've gotten much better as a stunt flier but when I  started to read about the dark side I just had to give it a try.  T R Y are my initials so I just gotta try. I saved up and got a deal on a used Rev. 1.5 SLE. with lines and all related gear to give it a go . I waited for the wind to be good and last week finally got down to trying it out. I got to say it's nothing like two line at all.. AT ALL!!!   Man it looks easy and that tricks ya cause it just seems easy but in actuality it's hard. I seem to want to turn the wrong way at times and have trouble keeping my hands in but it is doable and I'm learning. Slowly but learning. I wish I had a Rev. buddy near here. Help ! I just know theres someone out there. I still fly almost all my kites and do one line at least once a week just to color the sky and cause there's so much less work involved. I just love kites . What can I say......Poor old Tom........By the way ...the kite repair and pass on shop is doing well if anyone has any broken sorn kites to pass on shoot me a PM or E and we'll get together....T

TRY Mayfly
st3307

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 12:27 PM »

Hey  T   Sorry   to hear  about  your   Wife  being  Ill   over  the   4th  of  July  week-end   and  I missed  your  last  post.    My   best   advice to you about  flying  Quad  line  kites  is  to  forget  you  ever  flown a  dual line   kite   because  the  control    are  all in your  wrist .   Pretend   your   hand  and  wrist are handcuffed toghter.   Thumbs  forward  is  breaks   thumbs  back for  power.    push one thumb forward at a time    right   for  clockwise   left  for  conterclockwise

Good air always Bobby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document