GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 04:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Newbie With A Question  (Read 5124 times)
Ronecol
Trade Count: (0)
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:51 AM »

Hi...my name is Ron and I'm a kiteoholic  Smiley

Seriously though, I'm a very inexperienced amateur looking for help.

I've been reading some of the threads here and realize how very little I know about the sport. I've only ever flown a couple of single line kites...enough to spark my interest and desire to advance a bit.

I have purchased a Prism Quantum and the Prism Freestyle Pilot DVD (the dvd hasn't yet arrived).

I'm hoping my kite choice is suitable for me as a beginner?

Also I'm wonder if the line set supplied is adequate to get me started?

Any suggestions on how I might acquire instructions on flying, i.e. other dvd's, written instuction, on-line, or otherwise would be appreciated.

Any suggestions at all to get me started will be appreciated.

Thanks  Ron
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:09 AM »

Welcome Ron.

You've made a great start. The Quantum and a dvd is a great start.

Flying with others more experienced will help alot too. If you can find them.

I like the different techniques presented from others besides the Prism video to supplement learning. Dodd's video (sold here by GWTW), and Bensons "Trick or Treat" dvd. Randy G has excellent instruction on the web too (free :>). http://sportkiteflyer.spaces.live.com/

Any other questions, bring them on. There's many here happy to help you.  Wink

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:14 AM by Dano » Logged
kitechick
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:14 AM »

Welcome Ron. I sent you a pm. Let me know if you don't get pm's.

What part of the country are you in?

Laura
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 11:18 AM »

Welcome to the Forum.  Smiley

If you could mention where you live, there may be some flyers close enough to meet you and give you pointers. That is the quickest way to get better.

If there is a kite store in your area, the people there may be able to point you to the local flying fields.

The Quantum is a very good first kite. Depending on the wind in your area, you may want to buy a UL or an SUL for lower winds. The Quantum will take lots of abuse, so go out and have fun. When you aren't crashing any more (or just once in a while), you might consider a high end kite.

Good luck on your journey.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:41 PM »

Welcome

And yes the supplied line set will work well. Someday you might consider upgrading since Shanti or Laser Pro lines are a bit more responsive while being lighter and thinner for the same strength and will increase the wind range slightly. But don't sweat it now, enjoy yourself with those lines. I fly often with "Ready to fly" linesets from Prism, Premier, New Tech & HQ, they are perfectly functional for the level you are at right now.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ronecol
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 02:46 PM »

Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate the help and I'm feeling slightly less intimidated already Smiley .I will definitely follow up on the suggestions.

BTW my home area is about 25 miles east of Toronto, Ontario, and close to the north shore of Lake Ontario. I also spend a couple of months each winter on Anna Maria Island on the Gulf Coast of Florida - a location with good beach winds.

I am anxious to try the kite but will hold off until I watch the video and do a little more reading.

L8tr Ron
benjai

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 03:36 PM »

Agree with all the above, I flew with the Prism linesets for ages before I felt I needed (well actually wanted) something better. One thing though is it's worth checking the lines are even, as they quite often aren't even when they are new (mine were about an inch out). You can do this when you have a moment before you head out to the field and I'll save you a few minutes. You should also keep checking them periodically, as they can settle down.

I completely recommend the Trick or Treat DVD, and if you want to have a sneak preview, there are a few scenes and a couple of the trick tutorials posted for free on the Benson website. Click below to go to the page, and select the "Trailers" tab (bottom right of screen) to access free backspin and K2000 tutorials.

CLICKY
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:51 PM by benjai » Logged
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 04:09 PM »

Let's not forget Prism's Way to Flay and Advanced Way to Fly on VHS for those of us still in the stone age.

I really wish we could have started with the Way to Fly.......Didn't see it til five years in  and it still taught me something, well.....it explained some things I knew, but didn't understand I knew .....if you get my drift Embarrassed Undecided

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 04:46 PM »

Ron,

Lots of great advice from some very experienced fliers.

Another great forum dedicated to Prism kites is located here.

There is great amounts of information, and links to even more.

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy your time in the air.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

benjai

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 04:54 PM »

Let's not forget Prism's Way to Flay

Sorry Jim, I can't resist - I haven't seen "Way to Flay" but I'd certainly like to see it !!  Grin Grin Grin

(sorry again - you just made me laugh out loud after a long and difficult day at work - so thanks for that!)
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 05:39 PM »

Hi Ron!

Welcome to our world.   Smiley

One thing to keep in mind is that videos tend to make even easy stuff look easier than it is. Depending on a lot of things (not the least plain old physical aptitude) it could take a while before a lot of the stuff on the DVD even makes sense. Things like how often you fly and what kind of wind you have can greatly effect the learning curve.

Who cares about the learning curve? It's easy to get wrapped up in learning all kinda fancy tricks to the point where you're working more than playing. It should ALWAYS be play in my opinion. Not that I haven't worked real hard on some things, but it's always been more play than work. I've seen too many people burn out on sport kite flying because they think they have to learn all kinds of tricks.

The Prism DVD is a good example of how folks progress. I'd say a really talented person, maybe you call them a "natural" who has a lot of time to fly could be able to do all the stuff on that DVD in a year. Even if they could do all the moves, they couldn't do them as well as the flyers on the screen. Those guys (specifically Mark Reed and John Welden) have really smooth styles developed over many years of flying.

The opposite of that gifted flyer with lots of time on his hands would be me. I've been doing this for ten years with very few hours a month on the field and absolutely no natural ability. I can do about half the stuff on that DVD and I'm happy as a clam. I think I do a couple of those things very well, but others I don't even bother with.

You'll be somewhere in between most likely. Most people find the sport generally pretty easy to start and have fun with from the beginning and most people learn a lot in their first year.

Ask a lot of questions here for sure, but there's no substitute for flying with other people. Even if it's only every now and then. An afternoon with other flyers can teach you more than weeks of solo flying. A lot of fun too and a good way to try different kites. Almost everyone you meet is happy to share kites.

Have Fun!

Allen, AKA kitehead
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 06:46 PM »

Let's not forget Prism's Way to Flay

Sorry Jim, I can't resist - I haven't seen "Way to Flay" but I'd certainly like to see it !!  Grin Grin Grin

(sorry again - you just made me laugh out loud after a long and difficult day at work - so thanks for that!)

Well, Ben Embarrassed

NOW you undersand what everyone else already knows........I think the plural of flay is flail   and I d got that one down. (maybe it should be contracted to just 'AIL') Undecided

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Ronecol
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 12:52 PM »

Thanks again to all who have offered help and guidance. Allen; thanks for the reality check. Actually I don't have great aspirations or high expectations and at this point I'll be happy to just get the kite off the sand and take it from there.  Smiley

As luck would have it the wind has been blowing off shore at 30 to 35 mph with higher gusts for the last 2 days....at least it offers time for research.

Ron
vraun

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 04:13 PM »

Ron,

Check out http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/8336/

It's probably the most comprehensive site for kiting in the Toronto area. There is a Toronto Kitefliers Club but their site seems to be down at the moment, though the club is still active.

The Windclimbers site is the most up to date about events in southern Ontario. The next major event is the Kortright Four Winds Festival May 2 & 3.

You may also want to join the TKF mailing list which is quite active and connects most of the area kitefliers.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tkf/join

Vaino
St. Catharines/Niagara
Ontario Canada
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 03:06 PM »

Hi Ron,
I will be glad to meet with you and spend some time flying . I live in Richmond Hill Ont.,and if you are interested , let me know.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum