GWTW Forum
November 01, 2014, 12:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talon, which one of these designs would you pick?  (Read 2495 times)
crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: June 24, 2010, 07:49 AM »

Hi all!

We are getting a Talon for the summer time and lets say that we are split on two type of design. Having a hard time choosing which one, we thought about asking you what you think of them Smiley The family is voting "Option 3" so we need something to tip off the scale.

Which design do you think is the nicest in your own opinion?

Thanks for your help!
Crunchie & kids

Option 1 : Red Design

Option 2: Spectrum Design

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:07 AM »

I'll be honest, neither do it for me, but I did vote for the red option. With some tinkering, I think that could be cool.
are the light segments white or very light pink?

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
crunchie

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:14 AM »

By all means do be honest! Its the whole point of the poll.

The clear spots are very light pink and the red is actually rubin/wine.

Obviously the first design is "conservative" and the second one quite bold.

My kids (all girls...) love pink/rubin & they also love rainbow colors so I made 2 designs for them that I could live with Wink

BTW, What kind of tinkering were you thinking of on the red design?

Crunchie

I'll be honest, neither do it for me, but I did vote for the red option. With some tinkering, I think that could be cool.
are the light segments white or very light pink?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:17 AM by crunchie » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:26 AM »

I'd go red, but replace the pink with white and the yellow with gray.

option 2 is certainly unique - you have really captured the style that Prism calls spectrum.  If you are a spectrum fan, I don't think you can have so many colors together and have it look any better.

btw, where is option 3?

6 kite tom
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:29 AM »

I'll be different and go with Option 2.  Not for the sake of being different, but because I like it much better than option 1.

My $.02

Steady winds, y'all.
crunchie

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 08:37 AM »

Option 3 was referring to the poll options, meaning, we just cant make a choice between the 2 (heart breaking isn't it!).

As for the Spectrum, you are dead on. I have a "spectrum" E2 from prism and my kids love the colors, so I attempted to make the best looking spectrum for the Talon. It certainly is "bold" to say the least.

The first design was supposed to represent a "bat" with yellow eyes. My kids are all girls... hence the pink, I would of chosen white but the pink is sooo light I think I can live with it.

Crunchie

option 2 is certainly unique - you have really captured the style that Prism calls spectrum.  If you are a spectrum fan, I don't think you can have so many colors together and have it look any better.

btw, where is option 3?

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:46 AM »

Ok, I made 3 real fast.
I've never been a fan of the way the sail is layed out in the talon. To many curves for my taste. I don't think these are so great on my end of the color panel, but who knows. The sails just to busy for me.

I can mess with it later too. Will give me something to do until tonight =P haha.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:49 AM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 09:59 AM »

I would suggest you spend a little more time with the colorizer.
BTW, Trying to make a Talon look like a Prism should be a felony.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 10:52 AM »

+1

But with that said, some of the colorizers i have seen cant do justice to what some fabrics do when they are backlit or how some colors change in sunlight. Do you fly in blue skys or more cloudy; what the background colors be?

But i too have spent waaaay too much time playing with many colorizers lately with kites and other graphic stuff lately. and STILL cant make up my mind Cry

so then given the choice of the only 2, i still vote red

Sine Metu!
Beachbum
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 01:24 PM »

I would suggest you spend a little more time with the colorizer.
BTW, Trying to make a Talon look like a Prism should be a felony.  Wink

Denny

Agreed, in fact the Patiot Act would ensure that Design #2 would never make it to you since it's a threat to national secutrity.

#1 Is alright, but I was thinking Gray instead of yellow would be a nice change, but even so if you like it go for it.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 03:03 PM »

I am seriously 'colorizer challenged' but of your choices I'd say if the girls like it and you can fly it proud I would go with the Spectrum. Rubin/Wine/Lt Rose? I'm thinking not, but what an actual kite looks like verses the colorizer is often quite different.

I'm not been a huge fan of the Talon graphics either, although the ones I've seen locally are fine looking kites. My opinion may be taken for what it's worth in view of the fact that I still think the Cal Wasp is one of the best looking kites ever made.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
crunchie

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 06:29 PM »

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this poll (even those who would still like to contribute)! I found your comments and results to be quite interesting. Both designs are unusual by the choices of colors (pink!) & design (spectrum). They really do not follow the pack, which is usually shades of grey with a color. I did not expect both designs to be very popular to be honest, although we both love them here Smiley

That being said, I'm really surprised to see the spectrum take the lead after so many votes. I have not seen even a hint of a spectrum Talon on either flickr, google images, jest of eve media etc... so my intuition was that people were going to go with something more conservative, even if red/pink shades are not really trendy to say the least.

My GF posted a similar poll on her forum which is read by "normal" people who know nothing about kiting, and the Spectrum took a 90% rating(!!!).

So spectrum it is then! I'll post a picture of the kite here when its done. I think its going to make a nice kite, but it takes quite some guts to have this done without any pictures of similar layouts.

Crunchie, the guy crazy enough to get a Talon with a spectrum layout!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 07:01 PM »

"but it takes quite some guts to have this done without any pictures of similar layouts."

Here you go chunchie:
Elixir spectrum (2nd from left)

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 09:05 PM »

if it was me which it isnt.. i vote for devin's design#1 best ive seen IMO

have fun kurt
benjai

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 03:09 AM »

I know I'm a bit late on this, but just for reference here's how rubin and wine look (note that they look almost identical backlit, but completely different front lit, and they are quite a bit more pink than in most colourisers and not often used...)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change