GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 05:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AKA RIP?  (Read 4089 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 24, 2010, 11:47 AM »

Got the email from the AKA.

After all the nice stuff came a plea for donations.

I made a donation, but wondered in this recession business burying time we're in, what would happen if the AKA went away.....

No National Convention
No insurance for competition events
No magazine with articles and photos
No.........?

I know many of you are AKA members (as am I) and many of you are thinking, "Who cares? I didn't get into kiting to join a fraternity anyway."

As Carly Simon Joni Mitchell sang, "You don't know what you've got till it's gone."

I have quoted Mr. Graziano before,
"The internet will be the death of kiting."
Or words to that effect.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:37 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:58 AM »

Or as Bob Dylan sang, "the times they are a changin'."
Only time will tell if its for the better or the worse.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:56 PM »

I have quoted Mr. Graziano before,
"The internet will be the death of kiting."
Or words to that effect.  Roll Eyes

The death of *organized* kiting anyway.  I think when I first made that observation, it was in regards to why festivals and (as a result) competitions were disappearing.  My feeling was that the rapid development of "online kiting" was at least partially responsible.  I was lamenting that new fliers could buy kites, watch instructional and entertainment videos, and get all their "social kiting" online and thus had little need or incentive to travel to organized events.

I probably first said that nearly 10 years ago, and IMO the process has continued unabated.
johnfarl

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 01:01 PM »

Have to disagree with Ron.  The reason I got more involved was the internet and forums.  Not may kiters around here so this forum and a couple of others gave me a chance to become part of the community and travel to about 6 festivals a year.

John
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 01:04 PM »

If I hadn't discovered GWTW I never would have known there WAS a kite community. I flew alone for many years and didn't know where there WERE people who knew something about kiting. I'm glad for the internet because it opened my eyes to a lot more than I ever would have known about in isolation. Besides, family responsibilities makes travelling to events mostly impractical anyways.

Bob D.
RonG
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 01:25 PM »

Have to disagree with Ron.  The reason I got more involved was the internet and forums.  Not may kiters around here so this forum and a couple of others gave me a chance to become part of the community and travel to about 6 festivals a year.

Well.....that's one.

I never said it applied to everyone, just that it was a trend I observed.  I think it was more apparent back in the days when both festivals and these forums were considerably more active.
711jrp

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 01:39 PM »

That may be the case in your part of the world, probably due somewhat to the cost of travel as most of you have to do allot of it.Over here it seems to be just the opposite pole,our get togethers at festivals are getting larger each year due to the forum chat that proceeds most fests.

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 02:11 PM »

I'm confused (again that's not hard to due), is this thread about the online kite community or about keeping the AKA alive? Should the online folks support the AKA? Would there be a kiting community if Bob Ingraham had kept his passion to himself?  I personally think the AKA is the backbone of the sport, the home team if you will.

I've never competed, never attended a convention, but have been a member for 30 some years

Donation sent

It is a tax write off ya-know
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:23 PM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 02:13 PM »

That may be the case in your part of the world, probably due somewhat to the cost of travel as most of you have to do allot of it.Over here it seems to be just the opposite pole,our get togethers at festivals are getting larger each year due to the forum chat that proceeds most fests.
This is where someone should superimpose a map of Great Britian over one of the US. Sorry, I don't possess those skills. Wink But you are correct. Our geography might wind up being the single biggest reason kiting is on it's death bed over here. Second only to the economy. I, and a bunch of others, can no longer afford to travel the distances and drop the cash to attend festivals. Heck, I'm having a hard enough time just keeping food on the table at this point.

I've always felt Ron was fairly accurate with his statement though I cringe when I hear it, partly due to that whole instructional video thing. But, were it not for the internet a number of us wouldn't have stuck around more than a couple of years. It gets old doing this stuff by one's self and 90% of my flying time has been completely alone. The closest flyer to me that can trick a sportkite seriously is over two hours away. The internet, and more specifically GWTW made the lonely existence of this sportkite flyer somehow more bearable.

I hope the AKA can continue to exist in some form but these days I've got bigger things to worry about. Anybody want to buy a clapped out Nirvana for cheap.  Cheesy

DGomberg

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 02:30 PM »

To thrive or even survive, the AKA needs to evolve. No one disputes that. The hard part is building a consensus on what to do.

But before you can change, you need to stabilize.

What I find interesting is that half the posters in this thread mentioned festivals -- whether they support the Association or not. And to fly together in any fashion that sets aside marked space, the fact is that we need insurance. Most venues require $2 million. And that's what AKA offers sanctioned events.

Stand-alone policies are too friggin expensive for small events or clubs to purchase. The group policy remains essential to any kind of collective (I won't use the word "organized") kiting.

Unless we want to fly kites on our IPod applications instead of occasionally on a field with friends, we need the AKA.

dg
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 04:43 PM »

I will support the AKA. Will get the check in the mail tonight.

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 05:23 PM »

Randy, the fact that Britain is smaller than the US isn't relevant, IMHO. The density -- like number of people per 1000 sq. miles -- should be relevant. But if you split up the US into a bunch of smaller countries, they might all be smaller than the UK, and it wouldn't make it one iota easier to get a crowd out to a kite festival!

Meanwhile, the US was small enough -- or the number of Americans per 1000 sq. miles was high enough -- to send crowds to kite festivals 20 years ago. And neither of those measures has changed for the worse since. I think there's just lots more competition now for time, leisure time, hobby time and money, etc., etc.

If you like steering stuff around in the sky, and you couldn't afford a real airplane, you used to have a choice between model airplanes and stunt kites. Now there's a bewildering array of flying things, some of them silly cheap, and then there are games and apps that scratch similar itches. (I've attended a couple of HUGE model airplane festivals over the years. Do they still gather in huge numbers, and compete in 10s of different categories, or has that age passed, too?)

I think Ron's "The Internet will be the death of kiting" may be true as much because most of us have "lost" a few hours a day to the Internet, than because of the influence of Internet sites that relate to kites.

Chilese, Carly may have sung it, but Joni Mitchell wrote it!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:25 PM by normofthenorth » Logged

Norm in Toronto
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 05:37 PM »

Thanks Norm, my old age is showing.

You are correct. Joni should be credited. I'll update my post.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42 PM »

as a freestyle flyer, in the term i was a member, i didn't find the aka had anything to offer.

so to answer your question John;
what would happen if the AKA went away.... No? problem.

Fdeli
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 12:07 AM »

Some things are bigger than ourselves - they stand for ideas that we believe in. 

Democracy, freedom, education, motor cycle clubs, feed kitchens, the list goes on and on.  People get involved in these things at a  basic level because they think these organizations improve society in some way - that they have value in what they represent.  The people that hold it together have to work in order to do so.

So I say, "Ask not what the AKA  can do for you, ask what YOU can do for the AKA!" 

-Tom

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change