GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 05:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AKA RIP?  (Read 4188 times)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 04:29 PM »

We joined the AKA as soon as we found there was such a thing................July 2003 to be exact..........We've got another year to go before we re-up again......and we will..........like a few in this thread have already stated, it can't hurt to spend less than what you'd pay for a decent dual lineset to support something that we all must have a passion for, or we wouldn't be discussing it.

The latest big boost to our 'sport?' has been the Dorans success with indoor quad flying, as well it should......brings us joy to have others enjoy our passion.....makes us feel valid.........Amy and Connor are members.............anyone who calls themselves a kiter should join whether or not the AKA meets their 'what does it do for me?' attitude............

As for us, we will give further support and participate in the raffles, as we are blessed to promote kiting......

I don't know how many people I've met from out of the blue, who have said, "You kite?  Wow!!  We were at Long Beach last year and became involved immediately after attending".  Without the AKA this passion will go back totally to loners who happenstancely run into each other at the beach or whatever..........

Agree to diasagree, if you will.........that's what makes us individuals..........just my little two cents worth   Lips sealed

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 10:14 PM »

Do politics exist in the AKA? Yes... everyone knows that. I've know it for years and have had _many_ discussions on the subject. You know what... at the end of the day _it does not matter_. If you choose _not_ to get into the "politics" then they _won't_ affect you. It's just that simple.

I was an AKA member for a number of years and then stop. A few years went by and I ended up having a conversation with a fellow kite flyer. Based on what we discussed, I rejoined. I can't go over all of the info but here is some of it... it's not about what the AKA can do for fliers. The fliers _ARE_ the AKA. Once you realize that, it make more sense. I'll give an example... I thought the AKA did very little to actually promote kite flying. What I learned was that _kite fliers_ promoted kiting... and kite fliers _were_ the AKA. The AKA gives us the _tools_ to do this.

What I enjoy most about being _a part of_ the AKA are Kiting and the insurance. Kiting makes the world of kite flying much smaller. It helps me feel a part of what other fliers are doing. It lets me know that others are continuing to promote flying and spread the word. Without the AKA insurance policy a _vast_ majority of kite festivals would _not exist_. Read that again. I've been a part of many festivals and I've not had access to many. So I know how important it is to have every single one.

Do I think the AKA could do better? Yes. But they have been doing better... especially these past 4 years or so (times change). Personally, I think the AKA needs to look at this more like a business then an organization... but I also know, it _is_ an organization. So it's a tough line to walk.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2010, 08:24 AM »

Whether its the AKA or any other body related to a hobby people always say there's too much politics.
IMHO its a fact of life that only people who enjoy, or who are inclined toward politics want to be the administrators and board members etc. of a hobby. Now that sounds like a criticism but it isn't at all, we should be grateful for the politically minded people who are prepared to be board members etc. who dedicate their time to the organization letting the rest of us lazy people get on with the flying.   Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change