GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 01:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom & gloom  (Read 6683 times)
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 08:55 PM »

kite surfing seen through different eyes

me: looking at the kite and what it is doing

everyone else : watching the amazing athlete at the other end

separate the two, athlete on a surf board, dual line flier on the beach - i think the surfer will get more attention

i even think a middle ager on a surf board would get a larger audience than an athletic kite flier but am not volunteering  Smiley

gloomy, no. I bet at least 90% of the gwtw forum members still love kites - our population hasn't reduced, we just post less and we were always a small population
bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 11:09 PM »

+1 with David.
Way more people go ooh aah when the kitesurfers are out and I am flying....quads 80% of the time.
I`m thinking a train with long tails doing figure 8`s and loops will attract more attention than the latest dual trickster doing the stuff they do, or a quad for that matter. Fighters get attention....if you put a tail on that thing it will fly better....hah..
So yes I also agree with the kite trick argument. I get ultra bored with dualies flip flapping all over the place but I most certainly DO appreciate the practice and skill to pull them/that stuff off. NOT my style...I`m a quaddite and a 2 dualies at once fellow. Folks are intrigued when they see 2 kites at once being flown by one person.....but generally it`s in passing.
Very rarely is there another kite at the beach and usually it`s a cheapo mylar slk but that`s ok, as at least they are enjoying themselves and if they take it any further is up to them.
Just take a look at some of the inane and insulting comments on Connor Doran`s youtube page as to why people don`t get it... Granted there are a slew of moronic posters and postings but the fact remains...
Unfortunately there is a lot of instant gratification out there. When someone asks why my kite is flying wonderfully in a wisp of wind I explain the equipment and above all the amount of practice involved....some get it and some don`t.
On top of that I`m selfish. I like having the beach to myself...it`s my sanctuary away from the craziness of the music biz.
Kiting isn`t dying or going away. It`s just changing as anything else does. It goes in cycles.
Besides aren`t all the real cool things exclusive and in small niches?? Who wants to be like the norm? We are the 1%`s folks!!! Go fly a kite.
bt
Beachbum
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 12:04 AM »

Well shoot guys, since we are doing the whole gambit why not talk about FIGHTER KITES?

I mean if you thought kite buggying and surfing were physical, shoot, then look at the fighter kite comps.  Talk about full contact!  Even the spectators get hurt!

So, though this might be bordering, actually embracing, the ridiculous how about we try dual and quad line fighter comps and exhibitions?

I think the Fighters should get more attention before this thread croaks.

gloomy, no. I bet at least 90% of the gwtw forum members still love kites - our population hasn't reduced, we just post less and we were always a small population

I love my kites, but I'm part of that 10%, that hates your kites.  Let's go...
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 12:48 AM »

Well shoot guys, since we are doing the whole gambit why not talk about FIGHTER KITES?

I think the Fighters should get more attention before this thread croaks.

I love my kites, but I'm part of that 10%, that hates your kites.  Let's go...

i think the 90% love fighter kites too - we all seem to like all kites

the 10% i was thinking about are not around for far more gloomy reasons - many have passed
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 06:53 AM »

I fly for my own amusement not anyone else's...
Bingo.

Frankly other people "not getting it" is part of the attraction. Long may it continue.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 07:59 AM »

And yet, kite festivals seem to be an extreme exercise in segregation.  Huh  Undecided   Angry  Sad Cry

ATB,
Sam

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 08:11 AM »

And yet, kite festivals seem to be an extreme exercise in segregation.  Huh  Undecided   Angry  Sad Cry

ATB,
Sam

thats just cuz those rev people need so much darn space.............  Wink

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 07:38 PM »

Frankly other people "not getting it" is part of the attraction. Long may it continue.

Mike.

+1  That leaves more beach and kite field for the rest of us.  Cool Zen on and don't worry about 'em! My motto with kites and investments is: Unconventional and going against the herd. If too many people get into it, it's time to move on to something else.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 08:14 PM »

An easy all or nothing solution. Stick an SLK behind a Rev.  Cheesy There you go, you either impress the socks off somebody, or not. I know I was pretty amused myself - goal achieved.
-Darryl

[to save space attachment deleted by admin]

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 10:50 AM »

Kiting will never go away, it will change on it's own.  Maybe not in the sense of how are "We" stateside folks are going to do it, but perhaps foreign influence will take over again.  Then again, I dunno, but faith manages.

Hell, even if West side events like KP, Berkeley, WISKF were to somehow disappear kiting would not die off.

Even if heavy hitters like Prism, Revolution, and HQ (Not picking on the US) were to disappear overnight kiting wouldn't die off. (Cuz they won't die off)

Interests always shift, even globally, and kiting, both literally and figuratively is just something that changes with the wind.
Agreed 100%... I don't buy into the whole doom and gloom idea either, it's all cycles and transitions.

Public interest will continue to ebb and flow, mostly irregardless of what we do from inside kiting.

Kite type popularity rises and decreases too (i.e., show kites, Revs, duals, etc) as different formats and outspoken folks rotate through... My favorite always, is when different aspects combine or work together (directly or in proximity "dueling banjo" style) for an even bigger show.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change