GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 01:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: newb looking to get into stunt kite flying  (Read 1523 times)
rachet
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 25, 2010, 09:17 PM »

hello all, im a newb lookig to get into stunt kite flying. im on a fairly low budget so getting them around a 100 bucks would be nice. we have fairly good winds around here but it might help if it could fly in lower winds. i was thinking it should be a double stringed kite. and i want something that i would be able to learn on and it able to withstand crashes, but i also want something that i will still be having fun with down the road. and some thing that i would still enjoy when i get better, so if you could just recommend me a kite that would be awesome!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:29 PM »

Many, many choices out there. I'd also recommend finding some kites that meet your needs and watching the Swap Meet. For your budget, there are a _lot_ of used kites that fit the bill. I've bought more used kites then new and I'll tell you... I have never been able to tell the difference.

It's hard to go wrong with a Prism kite.

I see a few Level One kites in the Swap Meet. I like most kites made by Level One.

Edit: Post what area you are in. I'd recommend trying to get together with other fliers and trying some of their kites. I can guarantee you that other will be happy to let you fly their kites and help you out.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
rachet

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:35 PM »

i live in eastern south dakota, theres an yearly kite flying day, but not usually more than walmart kites, sometimes someones using a stunt kite.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:08 PM »

I still feel the Prism Quantum is a great starter kite, full size, well regulated speeds, pretty accurate flyer and bulletproof. It's not a trick monster but it will do everything you'll be learning through your first season. It falls a little short in the "Lower" winds department, although rated at 3-25 mph 3 mph is for a smooth ocean breeze or an experienced flier adept at generating a bit more wind themselves, 4-5 would be a more reasonable lower rating for an inland beginner, but you say your winds are usually decent.

A few more benefits are easy replacement parts availability if you should need (not really likely but it happens), it comes 'Ready to Fly' with a decent line-set and straps (Check the line balance though) & a nice bag. It'll also pull a 24', 48' or 96' Transition Tail around if you find enjoy that type of flying. And you'll keep it in your bag for years to come for the next 'first time' fliers you may introduce to flying or to pull that tail around when you just feel like relaxing and drawing some figures in the sky.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:20 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 12:05 AM »

I just came out of an REI store here and they STILL have Prism Quantum's for 70 bucks!! Normally 110.00.

Took out the 3 kites(Quantum) that were tagged that way(I'm guessing returned kites) and those poor kites were intact but MAN!!! Whoever put them back into the sleeves was an animal!!!

Sniffle,sniffle.....I think I shed a tear rolling those poor things back up properly Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

I think the OCD kicked in so I had to put them back in there sleeves properly to keep my eye from twitching anymore Tongue Tongue Cheesy Grin

I've heard the Hypnotist is also a good one(waiting to receive mine) but runs about 140.00. Both the Hypnotist and Quantum have spine shock absorbers to help survive the lawn dart stage while learning.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:17 AM by socalman320 » Logged
mtk beach flyer

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 04:01 AM »

I started on a prism E2.  I know its a little above your budget but I was in the same boat as you were a year ago.  I love my E2 and have never had a problem with it.   I have seen a few places with them on close out since they no longer will be making it.  You can still get replacement parts for them since it's the same parts as the E3.  The kite will come with a real good Dvd that will help you (it still is helping me).  It also comes with a line set and straps.  Everything you will need.
Good luck
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 06:34 AM »

The Premier Addiction is a good starter kite, very capable for the price and pretty much indestructable and well within your price range. It also comes with a decent set of lines which is a bonus.

Check HERE for a very good online book on kite flying.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 09:11 AM »

prism hypnotist is a great deal as it also comes with there trick video,which really helps a beginner and beyond.. both the hypnotist and the quantum will do you right ,but they do need at least 5 or 6 mph winds to have fun IMO  hope this helps KO
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:17 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 07:46 PM »

1+ for the Prism Hypnotist.
It was my first kite.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document