GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 06:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New sailmaker Svolazzo  (Read 3162 times)
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« on: June 28, 2010, 04:18 PM »

I wasn' able to resist and I started to sew my first two kites  Grin
I choose to build the Vortex by Christian Derefat in the STD and UL version. The STD is framed P200 and P300 as LE, spine and US are Excel 6mm, LS are 5PT, turbo bridle and 20gr weight according with the project, reinforcements in Mylar 75gr. The UL is framed P90 as LE, spine Structil 6mm, US Structil 5mm, LS 3PT, turbo bridle and weight 12gr, reinforcements in Mylar 60gr.
And now let's fly the Vortex.
Here are some pics of the building I'd like to share, the STD is the purple one and the UL is the yellow.
A new building is already in progress, so stay tuned  Wink

Paolo.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:18 PM by Svolazzo » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 04:22 PM »

Very nice looking - how long does a project like this one take?

I can't wait to see them fly.

6 kite tom
art
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:38 PM »

The color combos look great and the close ups of the workmanship is stunning. I also hope you post some pics in flight.
Svolazzo

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 04:50 PM »

Tom, it's hard to say as I didn't marked all the working time, however working 4 hours every day (or night) I'd say a week but they were my very first buidings so I think that with some more experience time could be less. Consider that in the begining you have also to print the plan and make the templates for the sail, for that the best way is to print everything in A0 size to have sharper references. Besides you have to make templates for the nose and all the dacron shields, and some references and measurements about the bridle and the frame. All these things are time consuming in the first buiding but you don't have to replicate them for the following.

Paolo.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:13 AM by Svolazzo » Logged
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 05:38 PM »

Bravo!

Fdeli
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 06:38 PM »

Outstanding! Very nice looking Grin
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 12:32 AM »

Good to see someone else using yellow, black and grey in a sport kite.  Grin

Nice work Paolo!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
benjai
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 02:20 AM »

They look really nice. Well done Paolo.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 04:13 AM »

Paolo,
Congratulations... Great job ! That's a big inspiration to me to go out and buy a sewing machine... This is your first kite project ? Even if it's not, very impressive.
So, is this a start of a new career ? With the amount of time that you spent on those, it makes it easy to understand why a good kite costs $300-$500 (US).
I'll be interested to hear your flying impressions, and what's the next build going to be...
~Rob.

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 01:42 PM »

Very nice indeed. You said these were your first sails, but I'm guessing this wasn't your first time sewing.  Roll Eyes

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Svolazzo

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 05:35 PM »

Thanks for all your kind words, I appreciate very much your fine comments and I very happy you like so much my work  Smiley Smiley

Rob, no it isn't a new career, I already have a job: I'm a dentist. The title of the topic was just for fun. I spent a lot of time maybe just because those were my very first buildings, I'm sure that with some more experience working time could get shorter.

Denny, maybe it could sound strange, but this has been the first time I sewed something. What can have helped me could have been a great experience (more than 30 years) in hobby modeling and my real job (read above): doing those things you absolutely must have a great control of your hands, don't you think so?  Wink

Paolo.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 07:14 PM »

Those look great.

Can I ask what methods you used? Taped seams, glue stick or another method? Did you hot cut or cold cut? And as always asked over on Kite Builder, what did you learn?

I haven't really studied Christians plans but from what I've heard they are pretty complete. Did you find any other websites helpful with your first attempt?

I ask all this because new builders often come up with the most unique solutions since they bring different skills and knowledge into the process, we can all learn from a new builder, as much as they might learn from us older "Stuck in a rut" builders.

I'm sure your speed will increase, first builds always require a lot of "Think Time". So much that we have a "thinking" couch in our workshop for just that purpose & a drawing pad sits close by to sketch out ideas.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 07:36 PM »

Rob, no it isn't a new career, I already have a job: I'm a dentist. The title of the topic was just for fun. I spent a lot of time maybe just because those were my very first buildings, I'm sure that with some more experience working time could get shorter.
I was just kidding about making it a new career. I think most guidance counselers would advise against it, anyway. But then again, I've been at my job for 23 years, I would welcome a career change at this point.  Grin

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 07:52 PM »

Paolo.

They both look great.

Thanks for letting us see them.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 07:54 PM »

The black/yellow/grey is beautiful and your workmanship is excellent.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document