GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 06:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smaller Sport Kites  (Read 1947 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 29, 2010, 12:49 PM »

I guess we need a definition of "smaller".

Let's set 7 ft (2.133 m) as the changeover from small to large.

The sub-7' kites I've really enjoyed are:

C21 Extreme (UL)
STX 2.1
Ocius
Jumping Jack Flash

And although the Deep Space is officially listed as 2.14 m, the ones I've measured are just a touch smaller and slightly under 7 feet. For me, the Deep Space would be a smaller kite.

The 7 to 7.25 ft kites would be mid-sized.

And anything above that would be full-sized.

The full-sized trick a little slower and let these ancient eyes see what is happening.

And while we're on the subject, the perfect size for a sport kite is 94" (the exact size of a Mamba  Grin)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:53 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:49 PM »

Argh, you're going to make me dig out a tape measure (or meter stick?) to figure out if my Hydra goes in the under 7' category or not.

Well, aside from that, the Premier Wolf is a great "smaller" kite.  I only wish I lived in an area that got consistently good Wolf wind. 
FlyingJoe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 02:56 PM »

Uhmmmmm. I read you post. And read it again. Are you asking a question? Looking for an answer?
I think this thread is really a delivery vehicle for posting a pic of that Mamba.

(Mmmmmmm. Mamba!)

Maybe I better go "read" your post again! Wink
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 04:45 PM »

Uhmmmmm. I read you post. And read it again. Are you asking a question? Looking for an answer?

I was kind of wondering the same thing.  Anyways, I'm a fan of smaller kites (Sanos and my Deep Space in particular).  I like things to happen quickly and without a ton of movement by my part.

And I will heartily agree that you have a great picture of that Mamba.

One day I'm sure I'll get around to buying myself one. 

Steady winds, y'all.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 05:08 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't list a 7+ ft. kite as small.  Maybe a 3/4 or mid sized, but not small.  I would put the crossover point somewhere around the 5' or 6' mark between a small kite and a large kite.  Small being under 5', mid sized between 5' and 7' and full sized at 7.5' to 8'.  Then you have the really large beasts at 8' plus like the Apollo and the Thor's Hammer and others.

But of course I don't yet own a Mamba...so maybe once I purchase one of those my mind will change.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 05:54 PM »

After flying the Ocius proto at Kite Party and really digging it, I was thinking of the other mid-sized kite I love, the HQ Midi. I took a Midi over and set it on top of the Ocius and just as I thought, the overall shape is very similar. Of course the newer kite is deeper.

The O is so much fun, I think it's the modern Midi. High praise.

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 06:44 PM »

Ohhh, I forgot the Midi.

Good call Allen.

Time to get that kite back in the air.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 01:28 PM »

Level One Easy Light: By far one of the best small kites going @ 65".  Not sure why they fell out of favor with the kiting crowd.  I taught many a person to axel and 540 with that kite.  Holds up well to new flyers.

Shawn Tinkham Tantrum @ 84"' is a great smaller kite.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 01:48 PM »

<kite-nerd>
The trouble with using wingspan as a measure of size is that it doesn't take aspect ratio into account.

We used to call them 3/4 or full size based on the leading edge length which worked irrespective of A/R:
Full size = 165cm, i.e. two full arrow shaft sized sticks
3/4 = roughly 125 (kites like psychos back then)
and since a lot of pultrude used to come in 3m lengths we got the kites like the BoT with 150cm LEs (no waste from a 3m stick)

Gradually these old conventions got superceded by calling a kite a .75, .85 or .90

The .75 / 3/4s are generally small and berserk. I still love the Psycho but I'm weird
The .85s / 140s like the Fury and Midi are sweet
I guess a DS is about a .90 / 150 ? A Nirvana is about this size too from memory. A good all round size
A Mamba is full sized, a proper kite  Cool
</kite-nerd>

So many kites, so little time...

Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 07:52 PM »

Well does that mean YOU wont accept my VIPER Sport Kite??? Ya it's 7'6" tip to tip!~! How ever the sail is like 7' 1"  and is really Close to that marker of yours...

And it has just enough OLD school in it that it can really Dance on 100' lines!~!

Just Asking

Fast Eddy
bill lancashire
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 01:42 AM »

The trouble with using wingspan as a measure of size is that it doesn't take aspect ratio into account.

We used to call them 3/4 or full size based on the leading edge length which worked irrespective of A/R:
Full size = 165cm, i.e. two full arrow shaft sized sticks
3/4 = roughly 125 (kites like psychos back then)

I believe this 'old' standard for referring to a 'full-size' kite as having a LE length of 165cm still makes sense since even now most wrapped-spar lengths are still 82.5cm ( 32.5" )

In the early 1990s nearly every 'full-size kite had 165cm LE lengths.  The only one I remember as an exception was the Rare Air Pro-Cheetah which had slightly longer specially-commissioned Beman Pro-Comp spars.

Bill.
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 02:41 AM »

Indeed - I have a Pro-Cheetah sat waiting for new LE that I wan't to use for a 'vintage fly' at the end of the month. Of course all my sticks to hand are 32.5  Roll Eyes

stapp59
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 04:58 AM »

Whatever we end up calling it, the Sano is my favorite 7' foot freestyler.
bill lancashire

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 12:06 PM »

Indeed - I have a Pro-Cheetah sat waiting for new LE that I wan't to use for a 'vintage fly' at the end of the month. Of course all my sticks to hand are 32.5  Roll Eyes

Apart form 'Bish' himself, the only place I found that ever stocked the oversize Pro-comp spars was Tradewind Kites. It might be worth getting in touch with Richard to see if he still has any kicking around.

A couple of years ago I needed some of the original Beman nocks when I was restoring old Phantoms and Richard managed to find a few.

Bill.
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00 PM »

Thanks for the pointer Bill.
It had oversized Skyshark 3Ps in when I got it. I wouldn't have thought there'd be much chance of finding them now. I was just going to pop to the highwaymen for some 3m lengths of 6mm pultrude

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum