GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 12:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ambassadors of Freestyle  (Read 1150 times)
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: June 29, 2010, 07:31 PM »

[Draft document]

To Whom It May Concern,

Congratulations, you are, by reading this, being given an opportunity to be a representative of the sport of Freestyle Kiting to the General Public (GP), as an Ambassador of Freestyle (AoF). Discussions have been had on several occasions regarding the current percieved lack of education found in the GP of the finer details of the sport of Freestyle Kiting. As a remedy for this I am now calling on you to formally represent Freestyle Kiting in a way that will entertain, educate and encourage participation. By accepting this role you will find only a few extra responsibilities to what you are most probably doing when you fly your kites.

Tasks involved as an AoF:

1. Practice as often as you can, and in that practice commit to progressing your skills, technique and style.

2. If approached by a member of the GP, an AoF will ask if they have any questions about what you are doing and feel free to engage them in conversation about any part of this that they have shown interest in.

3. If asked about what it takes to get into this sport, an AoF will inform them of relevant local suppliers of quality kites and accessories, inform them that there is a vibrant global community 'on line' that can be accessed at any time to assist with questions and encouragement.

4. If possible, as an AoF offer them an opportunity to 'have a go', for this it might be a good idea to have a trainer kite with you as often as you can when you fly, if a trainer kite is not at hand consider handing the lines over of the kite you are flying. this will be seen generally as a most noble act of an AoF.

It is understood that during practice an AoF's kite may well be on the ground more often than it is in the air, so it's quite possible that during a practice session if observed by the GP they may find it difficult to understand the joy an AoF gets from flying Freestyle.

So, if an AoF finds themselves being observed during practice from a distance by a member of the GP:

5. Take time out of your practice session to demonstrate some of the skills you feel confident with, at what ever level you are at, the key to this is to keep within your known skills base and to take this opportunity to have some fun with your kite, and to demonstrate with grace, the beauty that is inherently found in any quality kite. As an AoF during this time it is requested that you land your kite at some appropriate time and check your kite and lines, this break from flying should be see as giving the GP a chance if they wish to engage you in conversation about what they have just seen.

6. If and when in conversation with the GP about kites be informative, indicate that there are several brands and styles available, and if asked about the pricing and general costs of this sport do not assume the income level of the GP, indicate the price ranges of available kites but also accompany this with terms like entry level, premium, and custom. It is OK to indicate that not all kites are equal and that they should seek advice from a quality kite retailer when considering a kite purchase.

7. As an AoF you are also tasked with encouraging participation and personally participating in as many formal and informal gatherings of kite fliers as is possible. This will be considered as part of your personal AoF development, and most probably a heck of a lot of fun.

By undertaking the above guidelines, you will be assisting, at a grass roots level, to grow the sport of Freestyle Kite Flying.

By accepting the above terms and conditions you are entitled to incorporate the initialisation 'AoF' in your title and thus distinguish yourself as a noble practitioner and an Ambassador of Freestyle.

WinterDaze AoF
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 08:18 PM »

+1  Cool

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:41 PM »

We should check the citizenship requirements, but you know the AKA nominations are on now!

I love to see people impassioned about what they do - its what makes alot of life worth living!

Where do I get my AoF t-shirt?

6 kite tom
Kantaxel

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:02 PM »

We should check the citizenship requirements, but you know the AKA nominations are on now!

I love to see people impassioned about what they do - its what makes alot of life worth living!

And.....................Is there some sort of board where an AoF can be certified so they could wear the shirt with pride and approval?

DH *2  Cool Wink

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:20 PM »

And.....................Is there some sort of board where an AoF can be certified so they could wear the shirt with pride and approval?

DH *2  Cool Wink

If he detracts the comment about the Tilley, then he's got my nomination!  Smiley

6 kite tom
Kantaxel

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:27 AM »

DH *2  Cool Wink

If he detracts the comment about the Tilley, then he's got my nomination!  Smiley

You mean this?:

Rolling out a portly 50+ Y/O in a tilly hat as a spokesperson

At least you're not both Tom Tongue  I'm beginning to think them downunderers are all thin, and oblivious to UV rays.............. Cry

Just kiddin' Shannon Shocked Wink

steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 02:59 AM »

+1.

thin, old, but not oblivious to UV!  :-)

cheers

steve
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 06:50 AM »

+1 !!  Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document