GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 08:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adjustable line lengths for stunt kites anyone doing it?  (Read 1057 times)
crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: June 30, 2010, 07:39 AM »

I'm looking to cut myself a line set of LPG 90# for my Talon Smiley And I must say, I'm not sure which line length I should cut, between 75ft, 100ft and 125ft its a difficult choice.

What do you guys think pros/cons of long lines?

Considering the Talon is not the "biggest" kite out there, maybe 100ft would be reasonable.

But I think  the best idea is to make an "adjustable" line (you know with attaching points at 75ft, 100ft). I could simply have a 75ft line where I can attach another 25ft and then another 25ft after that. I don't think its possible to make it so that its invisible, but it should not be that much of a distraction.

I think I could sleeve the loops so light that it would not show up as much.

Crunchie
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:59 AM »

I've tried it - just for giggles flew a sandpiper on 300' lines
Where you join them the sleeving binds

Of course there's no real need to sleeve but that's a whole different thread (and has been many times).

crunchie

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:10 AM »

I also have the choice of either 90# or 150#. I think that 90# should be more than enough for trickable winds. I don't think I'll ever break that even when yanking on the lines.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:16 AM »

I only use 90#, but it really depends on how much your kite pulls.

I think you will settle into liking a set length over time.  100' foot works really well in general.  Assuming that your flying area supports that length, I don't think you could go wrong.

I like 100' whenever I can use it, and use about 65-75'  when flying in a favorite spot that is just too small for 100'.  Long lines give you a larger window and more time.  Shorter lines allow you to easily see the kite and bridle, but time is more compressed for everything you do.

6 kite tom
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 11:40 AM »

If you are still working on tricks, shorter lines (75') will make the walk of shame sooo much less. Smiley

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:04 PM »

The Talon std really likes 100' lines while the Talon UL does much better on 75' lines. Adjustable length lines? Better to tie a few sets at different lengths me thinks.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change