GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 02:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cigarette odors  (Read 2627 times)
Hohenstauffen
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 08:14 PM »

Reminds me of the summer I spent living in a tent near Bolinas, CA. One night I awoke with the noise of liquid hitting the tent. Skunk!!! I thought I'd die; tried not to breathe; that didn't work for long; couldn't chance leaving the tent and getting hit directly, so gutted it out with face buried in my sleeping bag; figured I'd have to burn the tent. The next morning there was no smell, even when I got up close to the area that was hit. dunno... I didn't dream this. I did start marking my territory every evening after that. The critters seemed to respect this basic strategy.
Don S.
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 08:17 PM »

Reminds me of the summer I spent living in a tent near Bolinas, CA. One night I awoke with the noise of liquid hitting the tent. Skunk!!! I thought I'd die; tried not to breathe; that didn't work for long; couldn't chance leaving the tent and getting hit directly, so gutted it out with face buried in my sleeping bag; figured I'd have to burn the tent. The next morning there was no smell, even when I got up close to the area that was hit. dunno... I didn't dream this. I did start marking my territory every evening after that. The critters seemed to respect this basic strategy.
Don S.

LOL!!!! You're killin' me!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I've never tried marking my territory. Good pointer!!
socalman320

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 06:06 PM »

I had this issue last year with a kite I bought used.

I washed the sail of the kite using warm water and dish detergent, rinsed thoroughly, then let it dry in the sun (fully assembled).  The kite spent the next week outside (in the garage at night, but outside in the breeze during the day) which helped get most of the smell out.  I found that the cigarette smell clung to the dacron fabric much more stubbornly than the icarex.  I wound up giving it a second treatment of dish soap and water which helped.  Goo Gone can also cover or remove the smell from the more porous fabric segments (again, dacron or stitching).

Don't even think of putting it in the sleeve until you get the smell out of it, though.  All you'll wind up doing is re-stinking the kite.

For the sleeve, I put it in the washing machine, cold water & gentle cycle with just a drop of detergent.

Then, I moved it to the dryer where I had it tumble dry on either low heat or air only, with about 5 sheets of bounce. (any dryer sheet should work here).  Then, I hung it outside until it was completely dry.  Once it was fully dry, I stuck it in a large ziploc bag with 3 dryer sheets and left it that way for about a week.  The dryer sheets leeched the smoke smell out of the fabric.

Did it work?  Well, I couldn't smell the smoke on it after that.  For the real test, find Devin (adx1592) and ask him if he could tell the Total Eclipse had been kept in a smoker's house for 12+ years when he received it. 

So I washed the sleeves with all my delicate clothes and then stuffed them in with the clothes in the dryer. So far,so good.

The kite I've been airing out since I posted this thread and there is a faint odor still but not as bad as it was when first got here. I'm thinking rather than washing it taking it apart and sticking it inside of a trash bag with a few bounce sheets and of course flying it. I figure putting it inside a bag with the sheets for a week or so should do the trick. Haven't flown it yet just because of the rain and no wind.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 10:41 PM »

Don S.

LOL!!!! You're killin' me!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I've never tried marking my territory. Good pointer!!
pointing is important when marking your turf

have fun kurt
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 08:05 AM »

put it in the shower, use your favorite shampoo and conditioner..  i have done this with several used kites I have bought..  be sure to let it dry completely..  you can machine wash most sleeves on a gentle cycle..

For any of you guys who are gasping about now (grin) I have done this to most of my BMK's and they are still is great condition.. 

Many smiles to you..  debbie

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 08:58 AM »

put it in the shower, use your favorite shampoo and conditioner..  i have done this with several used kites I have bought..  be sure to let it dry completely..  you can machine wash most sleeves on a gentle cycle..

For any of you guys who are gasping about now (grin) I have done this to most of my BMK's and they are still is great condition.. 

If your sleeves have cordlocks, I would suggest removing them before washing.  The plastic is fine, but the steel spring can rust and gets annoying with any kind of stiction.

Not sure I actually gasped, but I would probably opt for over shampoo/conditioner. 

However, I could see being overruled on such OCD prudence, if the kite had a particularly hot date that I was unaware of (sometimes you're lucky to even know they are dating).  Huh 

You raise your kites, the best you can, but they'll let you mother them only so much (some won't even deign to wear a sleeve when it's warm out.)  :'(

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:36 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
socalman320

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 12:40 PM »

Hmmm.....I may need to see pics of this event. Care to share some? LOL!!

Ahem....kiddin'. I actually just did that and problem is solved. But if ya still wanna share pics feel free Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin
socalman320

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 12:43 PM »

Sam,

Ya know the other issue is they tend to be very touchy feely. Ya lean over to grab the shampoo and next thing ya know they're smackin' ya in very interestin' places. Ya know? Roll Eyes Huh Tongue
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 02:38 PM »

Other than the occassional wet towel "rat tail" fights, most kites tend to be better behaved.  Perhaps not true of power foils, but they are a bit more hooliganish.... easier to clean though for the most part.

ATB,
Sam
socalman320

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 08:25 AM »

Well apparently the dark side ones didn't get that memo. I got the other half of the one you just got from Steve in Australia and jumped into the shower with her to rinse beach sand off. She was a playful little thing I must say Cheesy Cheesy Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document