GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 03:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cigarette odors  (Read 2792 times)
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: July 01, 2010, 01:41 AM »

I purchased a kite that apparently had a smoker in the house. When it arrived there was a strange scent on the sleeve(fabreeze?) not sure on the kite yet. I don't have a sense of smell and my buddy only took a whif of the sleeve so far. First he detected some freshener odor just before we headed out to mtn. bike. I left all the sleeves on the floor board of the car and on return I had him take another wif and he said he smelled smoke on the sleeves just by them sitting in the car for a couple of hours. He doesn't smoke.My biggest concern is stickin'  the kite in my closet and having the odor get all over my clothes!!

What are my options if the kite wreaks of cigarette odor?

I do have another closet but the water heater is in it and I'm not sure if the heat from the electric water heater would cause damage to the kite or all my kites if I just stick them all in the same closet with the water heater.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:48 AM by socalman320 » Logged
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:37 AM »

How about washing it with a solution of bicarbonate of soda - that seems to work miracles at getting rid of smells?

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:39 AM »

Just fly the kite... that will air it out. The more it's out in the open air, the less it will smell.

Funny thing, I grew up liking the smell of cigarettes. But then again, I also like the smell of burning rubber, gasoline, and skunk...  Cool

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:02 AM »

is it a Level One?  all of their kites used to come in with a winderful odor of german tobacco............

i have received kites from makers with some certain small burnt holes...but no odors on those.........

air it out...fly it............

btw Rob: i do not love the smell of skunk but it is a comforting scent!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
spencers dad
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 05:20 AM »

I am an XXXsmoker and all my kites smelled like smoke, I had to spray them with fabreeze and then put them in the air, that worked fine even with my big SLK's
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 07:27 AM »

I have received some second-hand kites that about knock you out when the package is opened

I assemble the kite, dip in in the pool, and let it sit out back for the rest of the day to air out

Seems to work well

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:51 AM »

I've not tried this but you could sprinkle a little baking soda on the kite to pull out the smell. Airing it out will probably also do it... but it will take awhile.

I've bought a few like this but they were not very bad. I just flew them and they seemed to have lost the smell.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
socalman320

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 11:05 AM »

Thanks for the tips and feedback on this!

Not a level one. It was purchased second hand though. Funny thing....I asked the guy if he was a smoker and he says yes. Now this was after he had already sent the kite and telling me that the kite was stored in a kite bag inside the closet. Low and behold.....it arrives smelling like Fabreeze. LOL! Cheesy Cheesy

Not to sure on spraying it down with anything in fear of damaging the sail.Hmmmm.......hope the air time does the trick!

How about the water heater closet for storing??? Anyone? Cool <<<punn intended Tongue Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:10 AM by socalman320 » Logged
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 11:43 AM »

I  store  all my  kites  in there  sleeve    and  in a  closet      and  from  what  I  can see  they  all smell  like   smoke     but  I am a  smoker    and  it  goes  were  it  wants  to   so   I  have  stoped  selling  my  kite  cause   I  don't  wnat to  hurt  anyones  feeling   cause  they  smell  like  smoke  but  that  just  me      fly  them    and  the  smell  will go away  over  time

Good air always Bobby
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 11:49 AM »

That smell attaches itself to everything, anywhere, in the house of a smoker

We had a girl living at our house that came from a house of smokers, she stored stuff in our garage, and it took one bottle of fabreze and 2-3 weeks for the smell to diminish, I kept my kites in the truck while she was here.

I now understand how my folks could tell when I was smoking as a kid

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 12:08 PM »

I had this issue last year with a kite I bought used.

I washed the sail of the kite using warm water and dish detergent, rinsed thoroughly, then let it dry in the sun (fully assembled).  The kite spent the next week outside (in the garage at night, but outside in the breeze during the day) which helped get most of the smell out.  I found that the cigarette smell clung to the dacron fabric much more stubbornly than the icarex.  I wound up giving it a second treatment of dish soap and water which helped.  Goo Gone can also cover or remove the smell from the more porous fabric segments (again, dacron or stitching).

Don't even think of putting it in the sleeve until you get the smell out of it, though.  All you'll wind up doing is re-stinking the kite.

For the sleeve, I put it in the washing machine, cold water & gentle cycle with just a drop of detergent.

Then, I moved it to the dryer where I had it tumble dry on either low heat or air only, with about 5 sheets of bounce. (any dryer sheet should work here).  Then, I hung it outside until it was completely dry.  Once it was fully dry, I stuck it in a large ziploc bag with 3 dryer sheets and left it that way for about a week.  The dryer sheets leeched the smoke smell out of the fabric.

Did it work?  Well, I couldn't smell the smoke on it after that.  For the real test, find Devin (adx1592) and ask him if he could tell the Total Eclipse had been kept in a smoker's house for 12+ years when he received it. 

tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 01:09 PM »

Or you can do what I just did... accidently leave some chicken innereds in the sink over night. After that you'd welcome some smoke smell!  Cry  Cool

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 03:04 PM »

accidently leave some chicken innereds in the sink over night.

We have cats... the innards wouldn't have lasted the night 15 minutes (who am I kidding... the dog would have got in on the action too.) 

Nothing like meat to bring out the circus audition acts among the wee furry ones. 

Swinging from the chandeliers.... check!. 
Climbing curtain cords....check! 
Feigning innocence at the first hint of humans.... check and double check

Innocence is a bit hard to pull off when running away with a bag of popcorn (this behaviour is species neutral)... but always worth a shot.

ATB,
Sam
socalman320

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 07:14 PM »

Or you can do what I just did... accidently leave some chicken innereds in the sink over night. After that you'd welcome some smoke smell!  Cry  Cool

Buhahahahahahaaaaaaa........tears coming down my face on this one from laughing so damn hard  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
socalman320

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 07:16 PM »

accidently leave some chicken innereds in the sink over night.

We have cats... the innards wouldn't have lasted the night 15 minutes (who am I kidding... the dog would have got in on the action too.) 

Nothing like meat to bring out the circus audition acts among the wee furry ones. 

Swinging from the chandeliers.... check!. 
Climbing curtain cords....check! 

Feigning innocence at the first hint of humans.... check and double check

Innocence is a bit hard to pull off when running away with a bag of popcorn (this behaviour is species neutral)... but always worth a shot.

ATB,
Sam

This one too!!!! Buhahahahahaaa.......

Having grown up with cats,dogs,hamsters and a parrot......I can see the visual all over again....LOL!!

Wait? Did I grow up?Huh  Naaaa......I must be dreamin' again Tongue Tongue Cheesy Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change