GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Handle Large Swings In Wind Speed  (Read 2299 times)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: July 01, 2010, 04:37 PM »

The past few times I have gone out I seem to be pulling kite after kite out of the bag with nothing really flying that well.  Looking at the wind speeds I see the range from hi to lo being 18 down to 3 based on a weather subscription service I use.  The UL likes the low end but needs to quickly retreat to the side when the gusts come.  The standards don't like the low end but are okay with the gusts.  I have one vented kite I have tried but when the wind drops below 8 so does the kite.  The only kite that seems to usable is my 1.5 SLE rev when the wind range is so high.

Any words of advice here or should I stick with the rev when the wind range is so broad?

I am also finding that the ideal 8 - 10 wind speed off the water is quite elusive only seeing it once or twice a month.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:51 PM »

That's exactly why I fly the Fearless vented light 3/4 of my time on the field, It takes wind variance in stride. Lam claims 3-30mph, and I can verify it up to 20mph, no problem. At the low end, it flies just about as low as my Sea Devil light. It's easy tricking in 5mph, but will fly lower.

~Rob

tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:55 PM »

If you are talking a continual random fluctuating of 3-18, that will be tough flying no matter what you've got - probably the anti-definition of smooth winds.

If it reasonably slowly climbs and falls rather than randomly spikes, then I know of some kites that will be fine in that wind.

The only time that I retreat to me my vented rev (from my dual lines) is when the wind is holding a steady bumpy 22+.

6 kite tom
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:15 PM »

Rob -

Fearless sounds interesting except when I look at the price.  I am not sure I want to spend that much; although one may argue if I bought the Fearless from the start it would have been cheaper than all the kites I have bought to date.

Tom -

Low end is more gradual, gusts are gusts and happen quickly.

I have not looked at the wind ranges in the past so this may be a seasonal thing going on.
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:30 PM »

If you have the room and no kite stomping dogs and pedestrians to worry about, lay out two kites - UL and Standard or UL and vented. Leave one laying on the ground at the edge of the window while flying the other one.

The common problem here is variable winds 0 mph to whatever. Many days have a narrow range and one kite will handle almost everything. Other days have a wide range, but we can usually count on 0 mph sooner or later. The frustrating days have short duration speed cycles plus huge directional shifts and it isn't even worth switching kites - time for beer.

I must admit, the last two years have produced more consistent winds and more standard kite wind range than prior years. Maybe global warming is a good thing!  Undecided I might accidentally learn how to trick a standard kite, except the heavier pounding slack line management wears out my old body faster. Pull out the Revs at that point and add asprin to the beer when I get home.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 05:03 AM »

Aerodrone Speed Limit!!!!!

http://web.archive.org/web/19991012090203/users.efortress.com/pshu/speed_limit.html

automatic variable venting......

(From Ray Bethells pages)
http://www.raybethell.com/html/k_01_i.htm

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 05:18 AM »

Any more details on the Aerodrone Speed Limit??

Thanks!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 05:25 AM »

cult following...Paul made kites that people loved...and damn they lasted!!!! bombproof kites....he has now been out of kite making for over 10 years now....

If you google it you will get a few hits....

Paul's original website for them is listed up there as is Ray Bethell's review as well.....

stapp59
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 06:15 AM »

Did search the google llinks.  Would love to see some closeup pics.  Thanks!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 06:25 AM »

can do....what would you like pix of? all of it?

stapp59
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 07:01 AM »

Venting configuration details and location.  Am always on the lookout for new ideas...

Thanks and no hurries!

Steve
Schook

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 07:12 AM »

The past few times I have gone out I seem to be pulling kite after kite out of the bag with nothing really flying that well.  Looking at the wind speeds I see the range from hi to lo being 18 down to 3 based on a weather subscription service I use.  The UL likes the low end but needs to quickly retreat to the side when the gusts come.  The standards don't like the low end but are okay with the gusts. 

Sounds a lot like my crappy inland winds.  You learn to deal with it if you seriously want to fly.  The two kite suggestion from above works well.  Some of my flying sessions end up like this:  place std kite on end of lines directly down wind, wait for wind speed to rise, fly and trick like mad until wind dies down, repeat as needed or until my patience runs out. 

I use weather bug on my mobile phone to get an "Idea" what the wind is like.  I say idea because its frustrating when it reports 12-15mph winds and not a leaf on a tree is moving, or when it says 3-5mph and its vented time.  Roll Eyes

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
RobB

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 07:50 AM »

I find that NOAA.gov has pretty reliable wind reports...

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 08:01 AM »

I find that NOAA.gov has pretty reliable wind reports...

well i can give you an uptodate fish report....no luck from me for a wind report Wink says the NOAA NMFS Port Agent in Gloucester Mass

my preference has always been to use the PORTS system offered by NOAA.
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ports.html
it is phenomenal IF you are in an area that has a location....especially since you can call the system to get a report...this is via the oceanography part not the NWS system of NOAA...

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 08:25 AM »

The problem with any wind report is that they are usually given by the closest airport, conditions where you fly can be very different. In our case the airport sits on top of a foothill in an area clear to the prevalent wind directions while our favorite flying area is nestled down under those same foothills.

As far as wind conditions and what we do to deal with them ...

we bring chairs and refreshments Sad

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document