GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 12:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning on copies (or fakes) of new WALAs or Aerobes  (Read 2598 times)
kitenut75
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: July 02, 2010, 07:00 AM »

Just a word of caution to all out there that copies of the Wala (previously known as Aerobe) have surfaced (take a look below) and don't be mistaken or taken in by them. To be safe always buy from trusted and reputable retailers.

***DIRECT COMMERCIAL LINKS REMOVED***

Please read:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=rules

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:41 PM by JimB » Logged

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 07:54 AM »

the blgospot website is part of the google world...i would imagine that they might have some sort interest in knowing that their site is being used to sell copies of the Wala....but i am also not certain of what sort of legal protection Flying Wings/Bell has on the Wala kites to start with....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:56 AM »

Material: Umbrella cloth fabrics
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:31 AM »

Why not just be blatant about it: "Note: This is not Wala Glider kite / Aerobe Brand. It's a OEM kites at a cheaper price."

Matt
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 10:36 AM »

Why not just be blatant about it: "Note: This is not Wala Glider kite / Aerobe Brand. It's a OEM kites at a cheaper price."
well that means it could be made at the same manufacturer! OEM!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 10:38 AM »

Wow they're even copying the graphics of the Tramontana, Tricktana, and the Sea Devil. Oie...

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
crunchie

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:49 AM »

Wow, I'm impressed they could not do a better job about copying these kites. Even the fake lam kite looks butt ugly. I don't see how anyone could get fooled (well the Wala maybe...).
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 07:24 PM »

You know as much as I hate copys, they have there place too....Much cheaper and that goes along way in many places. The thing is.....those people who now can afford A kite can now FLY, who would have never flown before because of the expense.
   Not matter what you fly, or where, or who you are, the "act of flying" is why we are all ......hooked on flying....Smiley

"Do what you like"
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 08:26 PM »

You know as much as I hate copys, they have there place too....

Hashed, rehashed and beaten to a bloody equine pulp.

Lips sealed  Lips sealed  Lips sealed

ATB,
Sam
kitenut75
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 02:05 AM »

These Wala/Aerobie copies are retailing close to the price of an original, hence the rip-off. If they were going for just a couple of bucks buyers would then know they weren't getting the real thing or wouldn't be so miffed if they found out they were getting a copy or fake.   Roll Eyes

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci
try1897
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 11:17 AM »

Cheap YES  ---...Rip off no!!!  Buying a cheap-o kite is as it is and all I can afford so there you go .  But when someone builds a copy with the intent to fool someone into paying a bunch of cash thinking there getting a " Real " product. Well thats just as wrong as stealing in my opinion. Well it is stealing and should be viewed as such and delt with through the courts.  Maybe it costs too much to take the guilty to court. Thats usually what happens. They just continue to get away with it.....Poor Old Tom

TRY Mayfly
normofthenorth

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 11:57 AM »

I think it's funny that their Rokkaku is named "Giant Windmill"! If you build a Rokkaku and you don't do a good job of making it symmetrical, it's easy to accidentally build a windmill!

I read a great story online somewhere (and couldn't find it last time I looked -- I thought it was at Gary Engvall's site) about a young guy who built a new Rok with take-apart horizontal spreaders, each with a ferrule joining the two spreaders, off-center. In order to make the kite "balanced", he'd put the top ferrule on the right-hand side of the kite and the bottom one on the left-hand side. When he showed it to the local "elder" kite guy, the guy puffed on his pipe a couple of times then said "What you've got here is a propeller!"

I remember this great story being told in memoriam of the guy with the pipe. Can anybody find it for me?

Edit: This time I found it! Not Gary, but Steve Ferrel, the smart oldster with the pipe was Mel Govig, and it's at http://www.kitebuilder.com/techsheets/rokkaku.htm . I hope this link doesn't offend or violate policy -- they are listing some sticks for sale at the top, though I've got it here for the great story.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:01 PM by normofthenorth » Logged

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum