GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 09:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Formula One: first race of the 09 season tonight!  (Read 3341 times)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: March 28, 2009, 03:25 AM »

those of us on the west coast can see the race (almost) in prime time. tune in to speed channel at 10pm pacific time for the exciting start to the new f1 season.

many, many engineering changes with the cars this year so it should be an exciting season.

as a matter of fact, for this first race, we have a debut team on pole position, for the first time since 1970!

for those on the east coast if you work swing shift be sure to tune in at 1am  Tongue
for those on the west coast, it should be a fun saturday night.  Cool

Fdeli
f86sabjf
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:49 AM »

I'll watch it it rerun on sunday morning . You can see by my avatar what i really like.. F1 is a close second
fidelio

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:52 AM »

alms?

Fdeli
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 06:49 AM »

This should be interesting. A "new" team jumps in and takes Q1 & 2 and all the other teams are crying foul. And, what does Honda think after selling their team to Brawn and they're on the pole...with MB power!!!

I just hope there are a few passes for the lead unlike most any other year in the last 15. I'm not holding my breath.

Frankly, I yearn for the days of CART. Now those were the days!

randyg

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 07:16 AM »

Forgot to mention that the misadventure with grooved tires is finally over.

WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 08:17 AM »

Hard to miss,

I live about 50 yards from the track, overlooking turn 9, 'oval 12' (my local flying field) is now under the corporate tents on turns 15/16  Embarrassed (it went missing 3 weeks ago). I've become a bit of a fan of mufflers as well  Roll Eyes Those things are loud... 

Weathers going to be 26deg clear, and a 10-15 knot southerly for the race, making it hard to decide whether I should watch or fly!

Either way, it should look fantastic

WD

WinterDaze AoF
f86sabjf
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 05:29 AM »

grand am rolex
randyg

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 02:03 PM »

Bonehead move by Kubica. Ruined a great run by Vettel, a for certain future start of F1.

Now the real whining begins by Ferrari, Williams, McLaren etc. over those rear diffusers on the BrawnGP cars. But they weren't the only teams with them.

We may finally see some balance or at least some new front runners with Brawn and the surprising Red Bull teams. This will be fun.

fworley
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 02:38 PM »

We may finally see some balance or at least some new front runners with Brawn and the surprising Red Bull teams. This will be fun.
Only until McLaren, Ferrari and etc have designed a new diffuser. They concentrated their engineering resources on winning the championship last season - and are paying the price now .. whereas the "lesser" teams spent their budget designing for the new regulations.

The talent and resources at the big teams (a wind tunnel at McLaren for example) mean it is only a matter of time before the catch up. Depending how many weeks it takes - they could be out of the running this year by the time they get a competitive car ... but from next year normal service will be resumed - you can bank on that.

Great to see Ross Brawn triumph ... and Jenson get another (long overdue) W. I hope Richard Branson comes onboard and sponsors the team.

-Frazer
fidelio

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 02:56 PM »

i agree with 3 laps to go kubica should have settled for a podium position.  Embarrassed

i'd really like to see brawn do well but they'll probably get swallowed up once the ruling on the diffuser comes through. no matter which way the ruling comes the other teams won't be sitting still that's for sure.  Shocked

a ross brawn triumph is great like you said fworley. it once again proves there's great and tangible value in experience, and that money alone can't buy you success. a message rarely considered or validated here in the states.  Roll Eyes

the look of the cars is horrendous. some symmetry between the front and rear wing widths would have been nice. maybe removed all the non-wing aero bits and left the wings alone, as it's now evidenced everyone is struggling for rear grip. i was sad to see the shark gills go away as well, i liked those.  Cheesy

one thing for sure, this won't be a run of the mill season. plenty of turns and plot twists await.

Fdeli
randyg

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 06:13 PM »

Virgin is already on board at Brawn. Branson signed the week before the event as I understand.

Vettel was on the soft's and they were going away fast. Kubica would have had him before the finish, easily.

F, those diffusers might get banned before the next race.

I love that they're back on slicks. I'm glad they now have to disclose fuel loads at the start.

fworley
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 07:49 PM »

F, those diffusers might get banned before the next race.
On appeal ... but I put it to you that its not in the interest of the sport ... and thats the purpose of the new regulations was to level the playing field and make for more open racing ... and having the two biggest spending teams at a distinct disadvantage for the first half of the season will definitely help reset the game  Wink

So I expect the ruling to stand ... and for Bernie and co to ... err ... wish for that outcome Wink

-Frazer
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 12:58 AM »

The best thing about the new Formula One season is the return of the F1 Rejects podcast. Quite frankly the entire F1 Rejects site is the only thing that has entertained me about F1 for years now.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 07:58 AM »

bookmarked. Smiley
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 08:22 AM »

bummer that Jarno got bumped back for a SC infraction, i did see the brief clip where he went off the track and then back on...have to study that more I really didnt see the infraction.
But its is still a triumph for jarno to come from on pit lane to finish on the podium, infraction or no.
Saw him drive a kart many years ago when when he was world champ, very smooth.

Has anyone heard why massa pulled off?

and baricello did say that his diffuser was broke at the start Cheesy

I find it funny that the 3 teams that were not part of the meetin on the diffuser came up with their own take on it

I also loved the grid discussion on the diffuser, many werent happy about them. I will be very surprised if there are not alot more cars with the "illegal" diffuser next week.

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum