GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 12:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Vs Rev  (Read 8390 times)
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 05, 2010, 07:56 PM »

I read with interest every now and then about people selling off their dual lines for Revs or Vise Versa. It kinda gets me thinking which are better? or really which are more interesting to fly.

I can understand comming over to dual line (Thats what I fly) I mean with all the depth these kites have, rotational based tricks, wrapped and ground based tricks, high speed flight, all the combo's inbetween and ofcourse the variation between design.
To me it seems I will never truly master all the complexities of dual line kites. Given this sort of depth, dual lines should hold my interest for many years to come.

On the flip side you have revs. 4 lines, no real rotational tricks, no wrapped tricks, no varying kite positions (ie flare, turtle etc) slightly more control in speed and stalls. What's the attraction Undecided

What makes a pilot leave Dualies for the Dark Side?
Or is it that dualies are too hard and people just opt for something simpler Wink
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:02 PM by Ace » Logged

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 09:08 PM »

Well, it kind of depends on what you're looking for.  I've been to a number of festivals in the past year, and this is what I've noticed:

Rev fliers like to stand still, in a straight line, and just chat with one another while flying kites in figures vaguely reminiscent of NASCAR tracks.

Apparently, some people find that tempting.

Me, I'm a cranky bastard.  I find that the speed and unpredictability of the dual line kite means that people give me a lot of room to myself Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 09:38 PM »

Dualies are airplanes

Revs are helicopters

Which would you rather fly?

I fly both.
Dualies 95%
Revs 4.9%
SLKs 0.1% (maybe less)

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:49 PM »

I agree with everything that you said about dualies.
I do NOT like Revs. I've tried getting into them, etc, and it's not very fun for me. Well, it's not fun at all.  Lips sealed
I get bored even watching people fly them. I've been that way for 10ish years and I don't think I'm going to change at this rate.  Embarrassed

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:14 PM »

Many fliers have moved over to quads because of hip & knee problems which have limited their mobility.

I watched iQuad once, interesting. I've been thankful for their demo's ever since that first time so I can head up to the lavatories without missing anything. *

My quads see maybe an hour of air time a year on average.

Just saying

* I would much rather watch a good quad flier by themselves, team quad is limited and of little interest IMO.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:17 AM »

It depends what you do with them.

The usual dive-stop-spin-repeat doesn't appeal to me just as flying with tails doesn't appeal to me but I saw Andy Preston doing axel / flatspins etc with a Rev at Hackney years ago and that held my attention.

I've owned and quickly sold a few Revs but if I could find someone to teach me that kind of thing I might hang on to one a bit longer.

When I started with sport kites I could find lots of people to learn 2 line tricks from, lots of discussion of tricks on rec.kites etc. but there doesn't seem to be the same level of interest in slack line tricks with Revs and fewer resources to learn from.

tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:38 AM »

Can a dual do a dive stop, tip land on a sign post, fly backwards, do clock work spins, side slide vertical, hover in any position indefinitely anywhere in the window and do all this no matter if the wind is low or high? The revs can also do axels and flic flacs. I don't think duals are better than revs, it just does different stuff.  When I fly I set up both revs and duals:)  
Ace

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 02:02 AM »

For a minute there it sounded as if everyone's opinion of REV pilots was that they were boring geriatrics, or slightly crippled individuals, that love to fly once a year and stand around and chat. Cheesy

But seriously.... So there's some tricks Rev's can handle even some that dual lines can't.
But it sounds as if the trick repertoire for a Rev is quite small in comparison to a dual.
How does one stay interested Undecided

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 04:34 AM »

I flew some quad line for a little while, but just got bored with it. I have a friend that loves the quad lines, but he says it's all about standing next to people and flying together. I fly alone, so maybe that's why the appeal of quads is lost on me.
The way I see it, quads are easy to learn, and the dual lines take years to learn. That's the appeal to me, is the challenge that will probably last me the rest of my life.
~Rob.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 05:17 AM »

I started on 3 lines then went to 2 lines then went to quad lines.....mix in a bunch of single lines in there too....
i prefer to fly alone or with one or two more people...that is as social flying as i can take....single lines make that a bunch easier!!!

for people who do not like revolutions make certain to fly the other quads out there!!!! not everything is a Rev Wink some of them fly better too!!!

i have my bags....and i will never get rid of all of one specific type.....options....like options...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 05:46 AM »

What makes a pilot leave Dualies for the Dark Side?
Or is it that dualies are too hard and people just opt for something simpler Wink

Quads were fun for a short snort but they got really boring really fast. Way too easy to keep me interested.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
REVflyer

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 05:53 AM »

I probably fly alone more than any other way, my "handle" says it all for me REVflier.  I enjoy myself more with the quads than the dualies, I don't really understand why.

Quads seem so much easier to fly, but mastering the uniqueness of their flight dynamics never seems to get old.  A Rev will trick, . . . just like a dualie, you just need to add dramatic movements, jerks and pitching your arms forward, moving your legs, etc.  A perfectly executed throw & catch is one of the most entertaining things that can be done with any kite.

Revs are safer too, you can interact directly above a stoller, even having a child grasp a part of your kite in a tug-of-war.

Rev games are surely as crowd friendly as any other activity.

How can you consider all the varying skills levels of dualie pilots, such that a mega-fly is possible?  Quads can blend in the various experts and newbies, so that everyone feels welcome.  Quads are 'bout joining a family, language isn't a barrier when we all speak four-string!

Quads can handle a much greater/wider selection of wind conditions than dualies.  You wouldn't take a dualie made for SUL conditions and fly it in the mid-teens all day.  Quads are easy to experiment upon and customize compared to the dualies.  a full Suite of B-Series Pros is worth a thousand bucks, those three kites cover almost every imaginable set of wind conditions.  3 kites from no-wind (almost indoors) until the coast guard won't venture out of the harbor (potta-potties & speakers are being blown over).  That same vented kite can fly in 5 or 6 mph.  That SUL can be made safe to use in high winds with a more robust frame inserted.  That quick change versatility is why we keep coming back for more.

You know a beat-up old veteran quad sail can still entertain the entire audience a decade after acquisition.  Big pieces can ripped away from the leading edge and it still flies effortlessly. You can teach a kid no bigger than your kneecap how to fly a quad.  You can give lessons and enjoy the flight with wheelchair bound folks as well.  Quads are easy to share, tough to destroy and popular the world over.

If you can't do flat spin tricks or roll the kite into the lines, if you can't 3D fly your quad, then you have all the more reason not to give 'em up yet either.

The company stands behind their product, even when they know the failure is entire the fault of the purchaser.  I've witnessed and heard stories that would curl your hair.  Customer service and commitment to your success.  Revolution kites is the best.  Their dealer netwrok is almost entirely made-up of folks who are also rev pilots.

Nothing else matters when a group of quad-heads gets together.  We will be flying as a team, alone, in pairs, chasing the spectators and providing lessons to whomsoever asks us about the kites.

I have dualies, long time lover affairs with some of em too.  But the revs see more use than everything except my coffee cup!
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 07:17 AM »

For a minute there it sounded as if everyone's opinion of REV pilots was that they were boring geriatrics, or slightly crippled individuals, that love to fly once a year and stand around and chat. Cheesy

Just on a whim I typed www.revolutionkites.com and got an advert for help the aged stairlifts  Cheesy

crunchie

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 07:41 AM »

I prefer dual kites actually, but do take out the Quad once in a while. I tend to like the "Wow" factor the dual line tricks give out. Its harder to do such an impression with a Quad.
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 09:18 AM »

When I started flying in the mid 90's I gravitated toward quads and flew an original 1.5 and a Deca 6. I never developed much proficiency with duals, probably due to lack of effort/practice. When I finally got the kite bag out last year (after maybe 12 years under the bed), I stayed with the quads. Watching clips and DVDs of real dual artists is inspiring and has reawakened my interest in them. I still like quads and have recently picked up a used Airbow and a Volksquad for variety. I like flying both types of kites, probably in equal measures now. My 60 y.o. reflexes and body don't make it any easier for sure and I can see the appeal of quads for some of us "seasoned" flyers.

I guess my attitude is "diff'rent strokes, etc." The passionate dual pilots and equally enthusiastic quad flyers can each do what they want. People like me can do both, perhaps to the detriment of real proficiency in either. It's a big sky - to each their own.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document