GWTW Forum
November 25, 2014, 08:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Vs Rev  (Read 9122 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 02:56 AM »

I think JB is kinda right about the Revs taking over the field at the kite festivals... I was at Wildwood this year, and the organizers didn't even know where to put me on the 4 fields that they had roped off. I was flying dual line, but not competing (I don't get that...) and they couldn't find one little corner that I could fly. I was squeezed out of the spot that they finally assigned me by an army of (rude) quad line fliers, and had to pack up & leave in frustration. I tried to fly outside the ropes, but you can imagine how the beach gets down the shore on Memorial Day weekend.
In the end, it didn't matter, because I just ended up spending time with the family and watching the single lines from a distance. But, I'm sure I'm not the only dual-line flier that's experienced that, I'll bet alot of them just stay at their home fields, save alot of time, gas, and expense of traveling to a festival.
~Rob.

Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 09:34 AM »

WSIKF this year, we'll have roughly 100 Rev fliers in attendance... Pretty sure that'll outweigh the hard core dual line population there.

Of course, we'll all be down at the south end of the event (Sid Snyder approach) this year, on our own assigned field, so we're well out of the way... Even went out and got our own sound system... It was a mess last year, just too many of us to comfortably exist in the middle of the main event area.

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/3762-100-rev-fly-at-2010-wsikf-aug-16-22/

Bay Area events are still pretty much majority dual line and single line, mostly because not as many Rev fliers travel to those particular events... Up in the NW and NE especially, Rev fliers are very common... Most often centering around active teams like the Rev Riders, Island Quad or iQuad.

As a point of discussion, do you think more field space would be allocated if dual line fliers flew nearer to each other, at least in the same space as a group? Seems to me that the events will always favor field space to groups that put on a concerted show... Big inflatables, Rev team, dual line team, fighter kite tournaments, etc, etc... Doesn't have to be "holding hands group activity", just formatted to use the space more efficiently, both from a group mentality and with regard to audience impact.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2010, 10:41 AM »

Sounds like a good plan at WSIKF, they've always needed a draw down to the south end.

Lately the fighter kites have been sent down there which was disappointing, they were a good draw the couple years they got a small field right on the Bolstad entrance, especially with the enthusiasm and friendliness they exhibited they always had a crowd. I sure would like to see them moved back, with the kites being so small nobody even knew they were there. IMO it was really bad timing moving them so far away with the popularity of the Kite Runner book & movie I think they would've received even more attention and they really don't use much room.

iQuad will definitely draw spectators south and give you all the room you'd like, good move.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kitelife

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 10:56 AM »

Agreed 100% on the south end draw, it's something I think WSIKF has needed for quite a while.

I watched iQuad once, interesting. I've been thankful for their demo's ever since that first time so I can head up to the lavatories without missing anything. *

* I would much rather watch a good quad flier by themselves, team quad is limited and of little interest IMO.

Besides, we can get down and out of everyone's way.  Grin

=

The fighter folks have always been a good match for the Rev crew, as they're generally two of the loudest, most boisterous groups on the field.

iQuad is just one VERY small component this year, it's all about the Rev gathering... Attending teams include the Detroit Windjammers (Michigan), The Decorators (UK), The Flying Squad (UK), Rev Riders (Northeast USA), Island Quad (Canada), Too Much Fun (California), AirBenders (Canada), Quadzilla (Texas), and Vortice (Australia), plus a whole lot of other hard core enthusiasts at all skill levels.

Most of all, this is about the "regular joes"... Folks who are interested, might not be so skilled yet, but want to learn more and get to know other fliers... A solid week of "Rev love-in", ongoing, organic clinics. Smiley

We actually secured our own sound system (sponsored by the RevGuild) as well, should be SO much fun. <grin>

We'll also have our own learn to fly area! <grin>
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:58 AM by Kitelife » Logged

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 11:03 AM »

I think JB is kinda right about the Revs taking over the field at the kite festivals... I was at Wildwood this year, and the organizers didn't even know where to put me on the 4 fields that they had roped off. I was flying dual line, but not competing (I don't get that...) and they couldn't find one little corner that I could fly. I was squeezed out of the spot that they finally assigned me by an army of (rude) quad line fliers, and had to pack up & leave in frustration. I tried to fly outside the ropes, but you can imagine how the beach gets down the shore on Memorial Day weekend.
In the end, it didn't matter, because I just ended up spending time with the family and watching the single lines from a distance. But, I'm sure I'm not the only dual-line flier that's experienced that, I'll bet alot of them just stay at their home fields, save alot of time, gas, and expense of traveling to a festival.
~Rob.
Wow, that sux!! I have often thought about making the trip and considering this story I wont be going now.
 At the festivals I go to,I will hang out in the back of the learn to fly area and teach if I'm asked. There are generally more of us dual guys hangin out there, short lines a must and being club members we are allowed in the roped off area. The dual guys outnumber the quads about 10-15 duals to 1 or 2 rev flyers. The other roped areas get used for some team flying, some demos, rok battles.  There is also a section set aside for larger slk. Basically the only quads i see at the festivals are stacks, with an occasional single now and again.
Other 'fun flys' I have been to the duals out number the quads 20 to 1 but i think that is more by design because the dual guys make it a point to get together.

Sine Metu!
Jim Foster

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2010, 11:05 AM »

Lynn and I really enjoy flying Revs together.  We tried dual line , but went right back to Revs.

It seams that at festivals or other gatherings, if we start flying together, shortly someone will join us, then a couple more, and pretty soon there is a group of 6, 8, ten or more.  That's when it becomes lots of fun for us.

I don't see that happening with dual line kites.

It's just a matter of what you like to fly and do.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 01:36 PM »

In the few events I attend each year, in the North West, there are larger numbers of rev fliers at the festivals/fun flies. Even at my home field there is a large number of quad fliers. A few years ago it was rare to see a quad.

Quad performances at festivals, tend to be the most popular. I'd bet a large number of quads are sold after a performance.

It's easy for a newbie to understand and appreciate the tricks on a quad, while a dualie looks like a wounded bird or that it is broken.

Jay

Ace

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 07:18 PM »

Just out of interest.
What would be the average age or gender of most REV Pilots. Would it be pushing closer to middle age or closer to young adult age?
For example: would a 60 year old female be more inclined to take up flying a dual or a REV?

Sociable is one thing making the sport appealling to others is another.

I mean, there is cool (Flying kites in general)

and....

then there is COOL Cool flying kites freestyle (dual line)

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 07:27 PM »

How did you get the idea in your head that sport kite flying is cool?   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 07:30 PM »

But to answer your question, I'd say the demographic is about the same between two line & four line.

Here's a good cross section of a quad group at KP6. Teenage to retired age and everything in between. They've got their team faces on too.  Smiley

Click for a larger view

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:50 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 03:39 PM »

Question: what can be done with a quad (read "Rev." 'cos the terms are almost interchangeable) today that couldn't be done 5, 10... 20 years ago ?

This is one aspect of "the quadline scene" that I find puzzling. Duallies have added to their flying repertoire and range over the years - what's new with the Tilley 'n' Crocs brigade ?

BTW...

Cheesy

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
lasapcheong

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 04:16 PM »

Why not just shift your perspective a little bit?

Assuming we are talking about a Rev 1.5/B Series/B Series Pro, they are largely similar in terms of flight characteristics. Say I have 5 dual lines of different nature (From old school to new school flippy trippy whatever you call it) and 1 Rev. I go out and fly and try to split my time evenly between all 6 kites, The Rev is only 1 of them.

Dual lines are too diverse in their variety to simply just conveniently classify and lump them together. Rev is just one more variety in this big melting pot we call "stunt kites".

So the subject should be changed to Duals vs Rev? Smiley

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 06:28 PM »

It could be the case that once you get older Revs would be easier on the body like the kness and wrists, since you are in one basic standing position. Some probably have gone to the so-called DARK SIDE due to this factor. This I have seen and heard. Spoke to some rev flyers and some say its boring flying on your own after awhile but like my experiences in Wildwood with these Mega Flys that has to be YOUR ultimate feeling being in that LINE as a rev flyer with 20 or so other flyers. Thats the main advantage of this flying machine in my opinion is the group flys. Duals can be lonely and I do get the urge to fly some pair routines even with these AKA OLD SKOOL patterns buts it tough finding someone to do this with on a regular basis. Both flying machines have their advantages and disadvantages ... I am sticking with duals since I still have a ways to go ... trick wise. Once you get proficient with duals and you are in a 3 mph pure wind BEACH environment ... I have to beg to differ with one rev flyer comment saying duals are TOO MUCH WORK. On the contrary your in CLOUD 9 feeling nothing but GOOD ... the music, the kite, the wind and YOU  Grin Grin Grin Wink Wink Wink.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:33 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Ace

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 08:00 PM »

If I may add something to the discussion.
From what I can tell a REV consists of a basic sail (1 piece??? maybe) a long leading edge, a couple of spas and a bridle.

Pretty simple hey,

Yet the price is up there with a dual.

With a dual you get a much more complex sail, stiching, an entire carbon fibre frame, mylar renforcement, kevlar etc etc etc. Not to mention the workmanship involved.

Value for money me thinks Smiley

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Beachbum
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 10:44 PM »

I'm the Dual line camp also.  I appreciate quads because:

1) They are alot easier to learn.
2) They get the crowd going.
3) When a new flier is watching me trick the crap out of my kite and asks the Quad trainer "Can this kite do that?", and the answer is "No", and then they come to me to show them.

Duallies, the original "Sport/Stunt" kite.

As for you Mr. Baressi.  No matter how much you try to shield yourself with iQuad you still started on duals, and you're still a traitor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum