GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 06:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on TNT as a Team Kite?  (Read 2876 times)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: July 06, 2010, 10:43 AM »

Hi,

We are looking AlphaKite TNT's usefulness as a team kite and have some specific questions regarding this kite and would be great if anybody who have flown this provide some inputs

How is its low wind range? I'm basing it on 3 other full size kites I"ve flown before which have relatively good low wind range, The Widow Maker STD, Cosmic TC STD and Masque STD. Nirvana STD on the other hand does require a bit more wind compared to these kites.

Since the winds we have locally here more often than not can be pretty on the low side, plus we are not intending to get the complete set of TNT UL as well, we need this one kite that is able to provide reasonable low wind drive to keep us flying in as a wide a condition as possible. Til date, I have not flown a STD kite that has a better low wind range than my Widow Maker STD so if it can match that it would definitely be a bonus.

Does it handle bumpy or gusty winds well? We get that a lot here.

Relatively wide wind window?

How agile is it when the winds pick up to 10-15mph-ish? Does it start to pull like a truck like the Masque and loses its agility when it comes to tricks?

Possibly the team would be either a 2 kite, or a 3 kite team. It seems like a relatively fast kite is still tolerable for a 2 kite team but as more kites there are in a team, the slower the kite's forward speed really needs to be (Think Scratch Bunnies and their trucky and slow moving Furys). Would the forward speed of the TNT STD be manageable with 3 kites?

For obvious reasons, we are looking at this kite because we are not intending to fly strictly STACK based/old school precision but really a mix of the newer school polyvalent style precision + tricks (think the pair/team flying style of the KiteHouse guys with their Cosmic TCs). Accessible, forgiving and controllable team based tricks such as stalls, half axels, cascades, slot machines, taz machines, snap lazies, inverses, comets, 2 point landings, rolling cascades etc would be the requirement.

Thanks
Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Gamelord

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:27 AM »

For what you are talking about, the Widow Maker may be your best choice.   For the stronger winds, try out the wind brakes that Skyburner makes.  It slows the kite down just enough to make it fun to fly, reduces the amount of pull and also smooths out the bumpy wind conditions.  I use to cringe when the winds were 10-15 mph but with the wind brakes, it is like flying in 7-8 now.

Another choice for you would be the Prediction from Flying Wings.  This is a fantastic team kite.

The TNT is a wonderful kite to fly but I am not sure if it will match the wind ranges of the Widow Maker and it doesn't trick nearly as well.  If you can get one to try that may be the best option for you.  I don't do much if any team flying at all so others may have a better idea for you.

Hope this helps.

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:14 PM »

The WM with breaks would be nice. Even the Freestylist by skyburner would be great. Nice solid kite, and much less expensive then the WM. A very underrated kite.  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:45 PM »

A very underrated kite.  Smiley

Sadly there are several of Jon's kites that could qualify for that designation.  Cry

ATB,
Sam
Craig
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:04 PM »

The TNT is a wonderful kite to fly but I am not sure if it will match the wind ranges of the Widow Maker and it doesn't trick nearly as well.
Cheesy If you say so.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 08:24 AM »

Sadly there are several of Jon's kites that could qualify for that designation.  Cry

ATB,
Sam

+1. Im still staying solid to a WM or freestylist.  Smiley

I would suggest the new Ocius but it's way to fast for a team kite. Pairs for a sweeeeeet piece of faster music, yes.  Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Gamelord

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:24 AM »

Just for clarification on my post above, I was referring to the older TNT by Skyburner/Premier (aka Trick N Track) which is not as trick-able as the WM (IMO).  I was informed that the TNT that was being referred to in the original poster was possibly the Alphakites TNT.  I have not flown the Alphakites TNT so I cannot comment on it's trick-ability.   I apologize for any misleading comments I may have inadvertently made against the Alphakites TNT which looks to be a very capable kite. Smiley

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 11:45 AM »

Just for clarification on my post above, I was referring to the older TNT by Skyburner/Premier (aka Trick N Track) which is not as trick-able as the WM (IMO).  I was informed that the TNT that was being referred to in the original poster was possibly the Alphakites TNT.  I have not flown the Alphakites TNT so I cannot comment on it's trick-ability.   I apologize for any misleading comments I may have inadvertently made against the Alphakites TNT which looks to be a very capable kite. Smiley

Several people have made that same mistake  Wink

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:18 PM »

You should look at the Transformer std. Mine has plenty of drive in 3mph winds and the price is about the same as the above mentioned kites, maybe less ! Cool

You guys would love it Darryl....

"Do what you like"
kitebug
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:55 PM »

Can't wait for the video.....

Volando!
Cisco
Mr.Derrick

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 04:09 AM »

Does it start to pull like a truck like the Masque and loses its agility when it comes to tricks?

TNT is no truck, it pulls less than fearless and much less than Transfer xt.S (for example). Masque is compared to TNT an traction kite.
Therefor the speed of TNT must (a bit) higher than Masque (for exmple) - someway the wind energy must be convered, in case of Masque into pull and TNT into speed.

TNT is designd as an trick kite with a good precision- snapy, hard, french corners and good directional stability. The speed / speedcontrol is slow/good enough if you will fly in an Pair. For an 3 kite-team it chould be to fast - in higher winds, with line length round about 110 ft.

think the pair/team flying style of the KiteHouse guys with their Cosmic TCs

I think  that CTC and TNT are the two kites that be used in most cases for pair flying at germany - next time Level One`s Gentleman will be added to the choice.

How agile is it when the winds pick up to 10-15mph-ish

The kite will speed up (see above) but keeps controllable.
this movie is taken at ca. 15-18 mp/h - Kite: TNT std comp.
TNT std Comp at 25 km/h (+/-)

some pair flying movies:
the alphakite guys at european championchip 2008 - Kite: TNT std.
DPB EC08 TNT

and me and my chum (no routine, only fun) Kite: TNT std.
Friedewaldkombo - TNT -Pair for Fun

greetings from Berlin- Germany
Dirk
My Kite Picture Page: http://de.zooomr.com/photos/elduderino/sets/38621/
n893
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 05:28 AM »

Hi All...

i think TNT is almost same feel as Xts but more lighter in some spot...
if you ike Xts... u'll like TNT...

Grin Grin Grin
lasapcheong

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:40 AM »

think the pair/team flying style of the KiteHouse guys with their Cosmic TCs
I think  that CTC and TNT are the two kites that be used in most cases for pair flying at germany - next time Level One`s Gentleman will be added to the choice.

Thanks Mr Derrick. Very nice videos you have there. You answered quite a bit of my questions.

One more question. Say comparing the low wind range of the Cosmic TC with the TNT, does the TNT STD have as good (if not close) a low wind range like the Cosmic?

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Mr.Derrick

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 11:10 AM »

One more question. Say comparing the low wind range of the Cosmic TC with the TNT, does the TNT STD have as good (if not close) a low wind range like the Cosmic?

It`s to long ago that i`d flown an CTC side by side with an std TNT (my TNTs are UL comp and std comp since over 1/2 year).... from my memorys i would say that the wind range of this kites is simylar.

Would you likle to fly the pair / mini team for competions or for fun only ?

greetings from Berlin- Germany
Dirk
My Kite Picture Page: http://de.zooomr.com/photos/elduderino/sets/38621/
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 02:21 PM »

The Miro by Challenger Sails is also a sweet team kite...

"Do what you like"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography