GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 07:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transformer TL first impressions  (Read 8030 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: July 06, 2010, 12:28 PM »

I was so excited to give the Transformer TL a try. I was going over to the coast to pick it up and on Saturday July 03. When I finally got there the wind was blowing about 10-20+ and just went up from there, offshore super shifty too :'( It was fun but hard to tell much in the super crazy conditions. What happened to those smooth onshore beach winds I was dreaming of?

Anyway I got up early on Sunday hopping to get a little more reasonable wind so I could give it a decent test but at 7 am it was about 2-15 mph still offshore and quite unpredictable. After about an hour or so the wind was up into the twenties already. It ended up being super windy into the 30s at times Huh so I'll wait until I get another chance before I pass final judgment.

I haven't measured it but I held it up to my Mohawk XS @ 2.14m and they were about the same wingspan. It is light on the lines and takes smallish inputs. Overall, because of the conditions, I really never got a good feel for the kite but it does some of the best looking Cascades of any kite I've flown.
Flic Flacs are great without any dead spots or careful inputs needed, 540s and Slots are easy, nice and flat and good looking too. Tazes are there and are better with a sharper rotation.
I hit some Mutexs and Fade to 540s that looked nice and weren't too difficult.
The kite came forward well so Crazy Copters, Yo Fades etc. are very doable.
Rolling up was no problem and seemed to hit the stoppers well. Backspins, Lazies/Multies are good and look good too.
Cometes took very light inputs especially in the light winds and I overcooked them a lot.
Everything I tried it would do but my conditions were sloppy and the wind just never felt right for more than a few seconds at a time. This was the same on all the kites I flew and not just the Transformer TL.

Here's a little video from early Sunday. Most of this was in very light and ill defined wind.

Transformer TL 07-04-2010

or if you prefer YouTube

Transformer TL 07-04-2010
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:34 PM by Dolphinboy » Logged

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:29 PM »

What's TL stand for?

Allen, AKA kitehead
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:33 PM »

I got mine today.... Cool

TL is a secret...

"Do what you like"
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:01 PM »

I just put an order in for a yellow today like the video after I inquired if he was selling any yet. Coincidence - same color as this video. It seems the SUL and Light are currently available with a Vent version coming in a month or two and  still in the final design stage. Not sure about the Standard? From what Lam told me its a scaled down Fearless, does flic-flacs with ease more so than the Fearless, and its overall performance mimics the Fearless and not the Sea Devil. The smaller size allows the price to be dropped from a Fearless. Ordered a Light with a 3PT frame and also a 5PT lower spreader for a wider wind range. Sits deep in the Turtle like the Fearless but unlike the Tatto JLs should be a bit smoother transition into the Fade with less forward movement required. Good-bye Sea Devil Light --- I hope not  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:28 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 04:42 PM »

I didn't say but it is more along the lines of a little Fearless than a Sea Devil for sure. It has a deep turtle but it's not as locked back as the F. It Flic Flacs easier with no dead spots at all. It comes forward with less slack needed too. Precision is a little better than the F. When the wind was reasonable (10ish or so) it tricked fast but the forward speed wasn't overly fast. I had no problem pulling it back to the Fade during JLs.

This is the Transformer standard with the 5pt frame. I am very interested in trying the Vent or Vent Light, if Lam makes one. The kite has straight seams so Lam can sew them quicker than the SD or F and charge less.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 04:45 PM »

I just put an order in for a yellow today like the video after I inquired if he was selling any yet. Coincidence - same color as this video. It seems the SUL and Light are currently available with a Vent version coming in a month or two and  still in the final design stage. Not sure about the Standard? From what Lam told me its a scaled down Fearless, does flic-flacs with ease more so that the Fearless, and its overall performance mimics the Fearless and not the Sea Devil. The smaller size allows the price to be dropped from a Fearless. Ordered a Light with a 3PT frame and also a 5PT lower spreader for a wider wind range. Sits deep in the Turtle like the Fearless but unlike the Tatto JLs should be a bit smoother transition into the Fade with less forward movement required. Good-bye Sea Devil Light --- I hope not  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy 

SUL already!  Smiley  I would love to try that one! 

6 kite tom
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:58 PM »

I had the standard 5pt out today in 0-3mph in my hayfield. Plenty of drive in the 3ish zone, not sure if I would need anything much lighter. Makes some noise, kinda like that too.
   Once it drys out I got to hook up the bailer, almost wasit high,,,,, Grin

"Do what you like"
Dolphinboy

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:04 PM »

OK now I guess Lam has to get in on the Transformer TL video action!  He's a little better than me anyway Cheesy

Transformer TL kite video at Garry point park

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:44 PM »

What happened to those smooth onshore beach winds I was dreaming of?

I'm convinced they're a myth.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
sirrom
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:08 PM »

Hey James

Do you think Lam likes his new Kite Huh Wink

What is the kite doing at 1:15 to 1:17??   Almost looks like he is going straight down only sideways.

Hey Tom did your son like my Red TL?? He did make a red blur in the sky when he was flying in LC. I think he needs his own kite Grin 

By the way did Lam leave a red mark on his stomach?? LOL That was too funny Cheesy 

Brett

Brett
Dolphinboy

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:29 PM »

Hey James

Do you think Lam likes his new Kite Huh Wink

What is the kite doing at 1:15 to 1:17??   Almost looks like he is going straight down only sideways.

Brett

Lam is digging on it, He said he "can not stop from the day he first tested the kite" or something like that. I think that trick is just a lazy up high in the window that kind of dropped so it rotated on the way down. or??

I did get a little time on it in OK wind this evening so I'm getting a better feel for it. Then the wind went SUL so I flew something else.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 09:55 PM »

Hey Tom did your son like my Red TL?? He did make a red blur in the sky when he was flying in LC. I think he needs his own kite Grin 

By the way did Lam leave a red mark on his stomach?? LOL That was too funny Cheesy 

Brett - he has his own - MINE!  Everytime we fly, he is on the TL.

I wish we had some video (including the "too close" tip stab!) from that day - everyone was flying pretty fine in those sweet winds on Sunday.  Not to mention our initiations.

I am now wondering what one will look like in black - lets see how long I can hold out!   Huh

6 kite tom
sirrom
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 06:55 AM »

I called Lam and your black TL has been ordered.  You should have it tomorrow Cheesy

Brett
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 09:43 PM »

I'm a Rev'er . . . B U T . . . This video REALLY kept me Mesmerized!  Huh

I N C R E D I B L E !

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 08:42 PM »

Looks like one very LARGE beach. Where is that? Your tag on the video said Murphy OR. But that's south of Grants Pass...and it sure ain't no beach. Enquiring minds want to know!   Wink

Regards,
Chris

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change