GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 02:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transformer TL first impressions  (Read 8171 times)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 10:28 PM »

The TC-Ghost was the same way but with its bridle multi-adjustments I found this kite very tiresome to fly and not well thought out in its design.
You realise, of course, that you don't have to employ all (or indeed any) of those bridle adjustment choices ? Most people that I've heard from either leave it as delivered or one knot either side. Yes, it's a bit weird that they're there not to be used but....

And that's a highly contrary opinion on the Ghost, if I may say so. And I believe that I may.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 08:08 AM »

Spent the weekend with the Transformer TL (Light) and no real issues. I would STRONGLY recommend this kite to any flyer as an extra kite or something to explore if the opportunity arises.

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34 PM »

I've been flying mine (standard) quite a bit too and I'm really digging on it. It only gets better with some time on it Smiley Any issues I've had with the kite, which were very minor anyway, are disappearing with familiarity.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 01:29 PM »

Just curious how would you compare it to the LARGER Fearless since you have flown both DB? A deeper Turtle with the Fearless or the same as the Transformer TL is my main question here.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:45 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 04:03 PM »

Guys,

I think you may both be talking about the same kite.  I was talking with Lam a bit last week - asking him about the SUL version of the Transformer (he is working on it - I hope to see it at WSIKF).  Anyhow, the Transformers so far have been framed with a 3pt frame and either 3 or 5 pt lower spreaders (you just swap em). 

So, I suppose you could call it a light or a standard depending on your view!  Smiley

I do know that my Transformer TL flys as low as my Fearless Light (perhaps a bit lower - it doesn't need much wind to be fun) and I also love flying it in the teens.  So, whatever you call it, its a very fun kite.

6 kite tom
Dolphinboy

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 04:05 PM »

I don't know that the Fearless has a deeper Turtle but the Transformer feels a little different when it's sitting back. I'm thinking a little easier to come out of it, not that the fearless is difficult at all. Probably more because it's smaller and lighter than anything else. But this is compared to each other. Compared to a Sea Devil or similar, I'd classify them both as having a nice deep Turtle. The kites allow some latitude / leeway on hitting Turtle based tricks and combos without getting stuck in the Turtle like some kites seem to do.

The Transformer goes back a little quicker than the std or light Fearless but not as fast as the vent.
It rolls up quicker than the std / light but again not as quick as the vent.
It takes smaller lighter inputs than any Fearless especially in light wind.
I think the regular Flic Flac is a bit easier on the Fearless std / light but not a lot. It's harder on the vent / SUL. I take back what I said about taking a little more care on the Transformer, maybe compared to the ultimate easiest kite out there, but overall I'd still give it a B+, very nice.
I like the Comete better on the Fearless std / light /vent. Just because it's a little more carefree. They can be done faster on the Transformer though. The SUL is more difficult.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:18 PM by Dolphinboy » Logged

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Dolphinboy

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 04:09 PM »

Guys,

I think you may both be talking about the same kite.  I was talking with Lam a bit last week - asking him about the SUL version of the Transformer (he is working on it - I hope to see it at WSIKF).  Anyhow, the Transformers so far have been framed with a 3pt frame and either 3 or 5 pt lower spreaders (you just swap em). 

So, I suppose you could call it a light or a standard depending on your view!  Smiley

I do know that my Transformer TL flys as low as my Fearless Light (perhaps a bit lower - it doesn't need much wind to be fun) and I also love flying it in the teens.  So, whatever you call it, its a very fun kite.

That's funny  Cheesy I thought it had 5PT LEs but I'll take a look at mine when I get a chance. I'm not sure why I was thinking 5PTs on the LE but that's what I have stuck in my head. Mine feels exactly like yours though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:12 PM by Dolphinboy » Logged

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 12:07 PM »

Just curious DB how is your bridle holding up in terms of wear?

Dolphinboy

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 09:16 AM »

Just curious DB how is your bridle holding up in terms of wear?

My upper outhauls were wearing fast so I replaced them with some very heavy bridle line. Worked good and they aren't fraying yet.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 02:35 PM »

Yes. Same area. Lam if you are out there consider this a modification/upgrade. Should be another month for break through for me for a total two months. I was off for a week in August. Still ...

cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 11:03 AM »

This is what I called a real Transformer.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/real-transformer-2139

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
skabt
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 11:24 AM »

This is what I called a real Transformer.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/real-transformer-2139

hahhahhaha .... cool mate
sirrom
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 09:26 PM »

I called Lam and your black TL has been ordered.  You should have it tomorrow Cheesy

Well Tom,

From the video I saw you were competing against Lam in "Hot Tricks" with your new Black TL.  I guess I was right about that Black TL on order.

Great job by the way.  I see you let him win also.  It does keep his moral up you know.  Great job  Wink

Brett
see you both in LC in October?

Brett
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 11:41 PM »

I called Lam and your black TL has been ordered.  You should have it tomorrow Cheesy

Well Tom,

From the video I saw you were competing against Lam in "Hot Tricks" with your new Black TL.  I guess I was right about that Black TL on order.

Great job by the way.  I see you let him win also.  It does keep his moral up you know.  Great job  Wink

Brett
see you both in LC in October?

Well, of course! I don't want him second-guessing putting that "extra trick magic" into a kite that he is making for me!  Smiley  Sadly, I fear he has nothing to worry about.  I think he could stand in one spot in any sort of wind and still beat me very soundly!   Some of these younger guys are getting pretty good, however - Lam better stop teaching them all his tricks!  Smiley

This kite is SWEET in black - looks great.  That was the first black one - I think a vent in black would look amazing.  I'll post some pictures once I get around to taking some, probably this weekend.

I haven't worked out LC in Oct yet - I love flying there, but we are pretty busy in October with Nationals and some other things.  I'll let you know - it would be great to fly with you guys again.

6 kite tom
kalle
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 10:05 PM »

Two questions: Three-point or turbo bridle & how much weight does lam use in the end of the spine?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum