GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 09:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: breaking kite down for transport  (Read 1411 times)
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: July 08, 2010, 06:46 PM »

Are there any specific ways that one should fold the kite before putting it in its sleeve? I just want to avoid any possible damage if possible, and the process always feels a bit awkward with the bridal and standoffs flopping about. Thanks for any tips or advice.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:14 PM »

Are you talking about breaking down the leading edges completely or just folding it?

To pack it up after a day of flying so it's still full length, here's what I do:

1. Remove standoffs
2. Remove upper spreader
3. Remove lower spreaders from center tee
4. fold lower spreaders against the leading edge leaving them in the leading edge fittings
5. flip the standoffs and the bridle inside the sail
6. bring both leading edges to the spine, making sure the standoffs stay inside.
7. Roll form the standoffs to the spine, but not around the spine.
8. Shove into sleeve nose first

It sounds complicated, but in practice takes very little time.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:42 PM »

Are you talking about breaking down the leading edges completely or just folding it?

To pack it up after a day of flying so it's still full length, here's what I do:

1. Remove standoffs
2. Remove upper spreader
3. Remove lower spreaders from center tee
4. fold lower spreaders against the leading edge leaving them in the leading edge fittings
5. flip the standoffs and the bridle inside the sail
6. bring both leading edges to the spine, making sure the standoffs stay inside.
7. Roll form the standoffs to the spine, but not around the spine.
8. Shove into sleeve nose first

It sounds complicated, but in practice takes very little time.

I do mine this way as well - except mine go in feet first.  Smiley

Works really well this way - you can have the kite out of the bag and ready to fly in less than 1 minute.

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:28 PM »

nose first but i use a velcro strap to keep it all together well as together as i get anyway

have fun kurt
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:46 AM »

when folding (rolling) the leading edge to the spine, be sure to get them below the center "T" so there is no chance of the "T" going through the sail

I personally remove the lower spreaders completely, roll the leading edges together to below the "T", pack the spreaders under the other side of the "T" then in the sleeve head first (some have Velcro straps)

If the kite has standoffs that come off completely I like to store them by sliding into the stitching of the nose piece, for long period storage I remove the tension on the leading edge and spine also

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

ko

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:06 AM »

ps this isnt possible with all kites ,but i stick the u.s. in a lowerer spreader cutout  so it never ends up in the bottom of the bag or worse

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:27 AM »

Differences to above comments:

I only leave the LS in their fittings if the fittings are APA. All others, including tube fittings, I remove the LS.

If the standoffs can easily fold outward, I fold them away from the sail. This does make for more snags when removing the kite (which was put in nose first), but the sail is less likely to be harmed by the standoffs.

No velcro "girdle" holding the kite sail tightly.

Once the kite is in the sleeve and the sleeve is closed, shake the kite gently to expand the sail within. This helps create air pockets which will act as a cushion in case of a flattening blow, like dropping your kite bag on the ground from a foot off the ground.

Don't know if this works, but never had any problems in 9 years.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 01:00 PM »

Mine go in feet first too, less snagging on the way out IMO after that nice neat roll job loosens over time, few of my kites have velcro straps, I lose them and they cause wrinkles if too tight anyway. I completely remove the lower spreaders, that comes from the old days when fittings didn't take kindly to being folded 90*. I lay the stand-offs inside the sail as above, but I've seen others let them hang down outside, their reasoning is less chance of puncturing the sail which makes good sense, but they'll snag inside the bag, especially if you bag it head first. When possible the upper spreader is dropped into the female lower spreader for safekeeping as with almost all Blue Moon kites, test it first though, you need a couple inches staying outside to grab otherwise it'll be stuck inside the spreader.

If you leave the spreaders in the connectors you need to bag head first or they'll snag on the way out. If you leave the stand-offs outside the sail you'll need to bag feet first or they'll snag on the way out. Nothing worse then fighting to get your kite out when the wind is perfect.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 06:35 PM »

OK JOHN no more straps Embarrassed  i will be using the stuff and shake method from now on (makes sense) and good call on the other types of connectors of which i have none . but you never know!!

have fun kurt
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 08:23 PM »

I only leave the LS in their fittings if the fittings are APA. All others, including tube fittings, I remove the LS.

Gee, most of my kites have the tubes, haven't had a problem in 30+years

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document