GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 10:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KLA-Tencor Fun Day Kite Seminar (2 hours at Shoreline Park)  (Read 874 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 08, 2010, 11:42 PM »

My brother Frank, an engineering manager at KLA, is in charge of a regularly scheduled Fun Day. Almost once a month, the company sponsors an event like: juggling, yo-yo, ping-pong and this month's sport kite flying. The company pays for an expert to come in and teach (in my case, the money went for the kites, drat)

I was flown out and picked up by my brother and we drove to Shoreline Park. He had 35 Premier Jewel kites (paid for mostly by the company). The temperature was in the upper 70s (excellent) and the winds were in the 10-15 mph range (just a bit higher than I had wanted, but certainly better than no wind at all).

With a few emails and phone calls I had enlarged the teaching group to include:
me
Allen Carter (and he brought his Prophecy with tube tail)
Cecil (a local excellent trick flier)
Britt (my son)
Shea (my daughter)
Rob (a good friend)
Richard (Shea's boyfriend)
Frank (my brother, who can fly a bit already)

From 4:30 to 6:30 it was a controlled sweet chaos evolving into over 30 new sport kite fliers who could all assemble/disassemble/fly/loop their kites. There were huge smiles all around. The ground was quite hard packed as the area we were using doubles as a parking lot for concerts across the street.

Even with all the hard crashes in strong wind, only 4 spines and 1 lower spreader broke, and we had replacement kites for those people as extras had been brought.

Hopefully, some will come back and fly at Shoreline again. Cecil and Vince encouraged everyone to come and bug them with questions if they ever were there at the same time.

All in all, things went better than anticipated.

I'm back home and was only in California about 4 hours.

I do miss Shoreline Park and flying with the regular gang.

Thanks for the help Allen and for letting newbies fly your gorgeous Proph.  Smiley

Here's a picture of Cecil from several years ago:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 12:35 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:47 PM »

Thanks for inviting me to help out, John!

A really great group of people. Certainly the most sport kites I've ever seen in the air at Shoreline!

At least three of the "students" had flown before. The three I talked to had all been away from the sport ten years or more (brands like Skynasaur and Flexifoil were mentioned), but launched and flew with ease. More than once it was nice to have more experience on the field when several people had questions/crashes/tangles simultaneously.

At one point two guys were flying next to each other with matching kites. One was one of the "experienced" flyers and the other had gotten comfortable with a kite real fast. I said, you guys should be flying Pairs. They laughed, but the newbie said "OK". They actually tried a bit of follow the leader. It was very cool.

Nice little inexpensive kites. Loose bridle knots were an issue a couple of times but generally the kites flew fine for everyone. Good lines, straps and winders for the price. Wingtips flapped like crazy when the wind got up to 15, but I didn't see any kite fail due to the wind.

One of the KLA people was snapping pictures like crazy. Seems like he might be the official documenter of these employee event. Hope to see the photos.

Allen, AKA kitehead
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 05:50 PM »

Hey John (And Allan),

Sounds like you were out doing some Ambassadorial work, would have been great to see so many folk enjoying the day.

[RANT]
Now wouldn't it have been great if Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Duis vehicula, nisl facilisis consequat vulputate, augue magna scelerisque nisl, sit amet laoreet nulla arcu eget massa. Vestibulum tincidunt sagittis elementum. Vestibulum gravida arcu ut augue iaculis vel consequat mauris cursus. Duis dictum, dolor eu volutpat imperdiet, magna nunc scelerisque velit, vel rutrum diam felis non risus. Nunc eu sem augue. Cras egestas, elit at vehicula pharetra, tortor felis adipiscing nulla, in eleifend felis tellus ac turpis. Vestibulum a mi neque, nec porttitor quam. Nullam pretium diam nec neque placerat volutpat. Cras mollis, ipsum eu facilisis porttitor, sem nisl pharetra dui, at pretium felis turpis nec velit. Donec pulvinar condimentum velit, at fermentum sem commodo molestie.

Integer laoreet, arcu id rutrum tincidunt, nibh lectus luctus purus, quis faucibus nisi libero sit amet mi. Donec ornare suscipit augue et sodales. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Praesent mollis neque dictum augue tincidunt ut scelerisque turpis fringilla. Maecenas ut leo vitae sapien tincidunt imperdiet eget id diam. Quisque tempor velit in arcu elementum vitae interdum lectus porta. Etiam pretium facilisis consequat. Donec quis velit mauris. Aenean condimentum porta scelerisque. Nam rhoncus enim a urna consequat tristique. Proin ut molestie diam. Aenean nunc augue, luctus venenatis placerat non, porttitor et lectus. Cras venenatis justo in nunc blandit dapibus. Quisque rutrum aliquet ante ut tincidunt.

[/RANT]

Just kidding...

Nice work guys  Wink

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document