GWTW Forum
October 21, 2018, 05:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noobie + Aura SUL = Repairs needed...  (Read 2557 times)
Arctic Cat ZRT
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: October 07, 2017, 11:11 AM »

Finally had some decent wind for my Skyburner Aura SUL kite, was doing well and even learned my first trick which is a turtle! Going great until I tried to recover near the ground and it nosed dived into the ground. Spine pushed through the tail, which then allow the sail at the center T rip an inch or two into the sail, pretty much made me sick after only having the kite for a week and finally getting some wind to fly it. I want to repair it and do it the right way!

Not sure what the best way to repair both areas are. I am assuming around the center T section will require Teldar tap and sowing, tail section will need more reinforcement of some kind. Looking for some advice

Kites Owned: Sky Dogs Little Wing, Skyburner Aura SUL, Prism 4D, Silver Fox 2.5 STD
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 12:30 PM »

That's very upsetting. I think it might need a more professional approach, but I like sending it to Sky Burner to have them reinforce the tail and center T area, but you can get by I'm the meantime with some tedlar on both.

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+42)

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:39 PM »

Yes, contact Jon at Skyburner.

http://www.skyburner.com/contact.php

Allen, AKA kitehead
Arctic Cat ZRT

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 01:25 PM »

Good idea, thanks for the suggestions! Just contacted Jon, part of the reason I wanted to go with a Skyburner kite was that it is US made and supported. In the end crap happens and while I am disappointed I can't wait to get it flying again.

Kites Owned: Sky Dogs Little Wing, Skyburner Aura SUL, Prism 4D, Silver Fox 2.5 STD
Kareloh

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 02:25 AM »

Oooow, that hurts.

These things happen... had it with Transfer XTr unleaded once. Also a hard encounter with the ground. Spine broke in 3(!) pieces and went trough the sail. Ripped it open from cross to tail, right beside the reinforcement.

I used adhesive ripstop tape on both sides to repair it. Not the prettiest solution but in flight it was perfect.

In your case letting it get repaired by the manufacturer is the way to go indeed. Wont even know it was damaged...

I curious though... was it the recommended windspeed when this happened or a bit on the upper level of the range?

Arctic Cat ZRT

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 06:43 AM »

In terms of the wind range I was measuring anywhere from 4-6MPH. Kite has a range of .5-10 MPH, so I guess it could be argued the wind was a bit high for this kite. Could have been a gust though when it nosed dived too.

My girlfriend made a good point, I am the third owner of the kite. While there was no visible damage to the kite when I received it, I don't know how many other hits it may have taken over its life, mine crash might have been the one that broke the camels back. Not that I am pointing blame over anything, its a kite, these things happen.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 09:28 AM »

Especially with UL and SUL kites, avoiding contact with the ground is a good thing. I have some standard or heavy kites that can be bashed all day with no ill effects. (Prism even built a shock absorber system into the spine of the Quantum for this very issue)

An SUL kite will generally have much lighter reinforcements in those areas (spine and center T), and so a hard nose plant can often do just what you showed. That said, I've had a hard nose plant on a very solidly built kite do pretty much the same thing.

Hard nose plants are part of learning, and they can be so painful that they are the kind of thing that fades into the past fairly rapidly. You learn to avoid and/or minimize them pretty quick. Same thing for breaking sticks cartwheeling and doing other groundwork.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Arctic Cat ZRT

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 01:12 PM »

Thanks again for all the help, just a quick update. Didn't hear anything after a few days so I went ahead and tried their Facebook page, got a quick reply. Seems that Jon is at a convention this week so Kites and Fun Things let me know he will get back to me when he is home.

Hopefully my Prism 4D is delivered tomorrow and I can at least fly something while my Aura waits to get fixed!

Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:44 PM »

"a" convention?

The Convention!

:-)

Allen, AKA kitehead
Arctic Cat ZRT

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 09:58 AM »

Well I got a quote to fix it back on Nov. 30th. With the holidays coming up I didn't want for it to get lost in the mail and quite frankly I was too busy to get it sent off.

Fast forward to last week I contacted Jon again for the repair. It got to him this Monday and was shipped back already Tuesday. I opened it up last night and I am tickled at how well it came out. He did some reinforcement of both the spreader port and the tail section. I am so glad I took the advice here to send it back to the original craftsman.

I posed it with my 4D last night before packing them in my new kite bag... now all I need is some decent weather.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 08:04 AM »

Cool!

That's a great looking little kite.

Allen, AKA kitehead
adx1592
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 09:02 AM »

When it comes to repairs, you cant beat the mind of Jon, frankly. He's great

Glad its fixed up!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom