GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 05:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITW Wisp  (Read 2526 times)
Nitrobex
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 11, 2010, 08:16 PM »

Looking for a back up low to no wind kite, a windy day in my area barely has leaves turning.  Doesn't have to be great, more worried about the cost effectiveness as it will be a spare.  Any one have any input/experience on this kite?

"No it is not out of control, I am making it do those flips and turns."
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:01 AM »

What kite do you have that you're looking to backup ? I've had good luck with the Skyburner NikNak, Prism Ozone & 4D, and a BadBoy UL in low-no wind conditions. Never flew the Wisp, but I prefer a larger wingspan kite to temper my inputs in low wind. I find the little guys like the 4D very twitchy.
~Rob.

Nitrobex

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:53 AM »

Had a orig. 3d it finally gave up the ghost, got a 4d now I know it isn't going to break any time soon but I still want a back up. The little guys are easy to carry and well I guess I've been flying them long enough I don't notice they are twitchy.

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:29 AM »

go with a Niknak, or a PDSUL.
Not crazy tricky, but very solid.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 01:20 PM »

or meet in the happy middle and get the Ocius UL =]

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 07:55 PM »

Alrighty...I am the person you want to talk to without a doubt.

I bought the PRISM snapshot and got hooked on dual lines.  So, I bought a Quantum and could not keep the thing in the sky...just not enough wind.

So...with a budget of $80 I drove the 30 miles to ITW and bought the Wisp.

I flew it non-stop for a month.  I got pretty good a flying it around and dragging it on the ground.

I let a local expert fly it and he said "holly crap...if you can control this thing you can fly anything!"

It is VERY twitchy and hard to manage.  Two others I know have it and agree 100%. 

Since then I have bought 3 light wind kites (Quantum Pro SUL, Zephyr and 4D).  I have not touched the WISP since I got the first of these three kites.

Don't waste your money on it.  It does not compare to the 4D.  Just buy the 4D.  It is an excellent light wind/no wind kite.  I was flying it tonight and doing 360s and just floating around.  Great kite.

What else do you want to know about the WISP?

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Nitrobex

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:59 PM »

That was exactly what I needed to know thanks =)

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 04:45 AM »

Alrighty...I am the person you want to talk to without a doubt.

I bought the PRISM snapshot and got hooked on dual lines.  So, I bought a Quantum and could not keep the thing in the sky...just not enough wind.

So...with a budget of $80 I drove the 30 miles to ITW and bought the Wisp.

I flew it non-stop for a month.  I got pretty good a flying it around and dragging it on the ground.

I let a local expert fly it and he said "holly crap...if you can control this thing you can fly anything!"

It is VERY twitchy and hard to manage.  Two others I know have it and agree 100%. 

Since then I have bought 3 light wind kites (Quantum Pro SUL, Zephyr and 4D).  I have not touched the WISP since I got the first of these three kites.

Don't waste your money on it.  It does not compare to the 4D.  Just buy the 4D.  It is an excellent light wind/no wind kite.  I was flying it tonight and doing 360s and just floating around.  Great kite.

What else do you want to know about the WISP?
he he he....you could have sold it to him for a good price to get it out of your bag!
i wonder why it is so twitchy...Christoph has designed a bunch of great UL kites before that people love (the Breeze from hq is one)....hmmmm

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:00 PM »

Could just need the bridle tow points moved outward.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 12:13 PM »

Maybe someone removed the penny/pennies  Huh .... better to look for change in the sofa cushions when the ice cream truck rolls down the block, rather than ransacking the kite bag.  Cry

ATB,
Sam
jeepersjoey

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:42 AM »

I could not/would not sell it.  It was my first usable kite and has gone to hell and back.  The nose has pushed through several times and I keep reworking it.  It looks bad on the nose.

I have seen the other two people in the area fly there's and it looks just like mine when it flies...twitchy.

On a different note: ITW is an odd place.  I have been in there dozens of times and bought hundreds of dollars of replacement parts.  Not once, never, ever, ever have they EVER asked me any questions about my kites or flying.  There are only three guys that I have seen behind the counter.  Plus, when I ask if they will be represented at one of the three kite festivals in the past yr they always said "No."

I am aways hoping that they will strike up a conversation, tell me a good place they found in the area, ask questions about a kite or a part I am replacing, tell me of another kite that they like, tell me about an industry inside tip, anything!

Maybe they are so busy selling all the stuff that it is no longer fun...now just a job.

Dunno...I just always leave scratching my head.

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 06:50 AM »

I randomly walked into ITW in the mid 80's on a trip out to Boulder, and they're the ones that got me hooked on kiting. I bought a number of kites from them over the years, mostly single lines, and always found them very nice & helpful. Although their catalog isn't what it used to be, it's still good bathroom reading... It wasn't until the mid 00's that I found a better selection of kite products that I was interested in here at GWTW.
~Rob.
BTW, how do you find the 4D ? Is it similar to the Wisp in its small & twitchy traits ?

stapp59
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 11:22 AM »

Could just need the bridle tow points moved outward.  Roll Eyes

I'm with John on this and would like to fly this kite and adjust the bridle.  Even 1/4" can make a big difference...
jeepersjoey

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 06:20 PM »

MUST86:  The 4D is elegant and glides.  The whisp is on/off like a lightswitch.

Quidzark

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 07:59 PM »

I feel like I need to defend this little kite. I've been flying it almost every day for a couple of weeks now. At first, I shared the negative thoughts some expressed here, but after a conversation w/ the folks at ITW, I realized I was flying the kite in stronger winds than it's designed for, and someone of my limited skills needed longer lines.

I do agree this kite is "twitchy", but it will also fly in the slightest of breezes & it is fun to fly once you get used to it. I've found it works a lot better w/ 50' of line rather than the 30' it comes with (I think ITW made a mistake no offering it w/ that configuration).

It does require a VERY light touch. Also, there are times the pennies are needed. I'm no expert flyer by a long shot, but I've enjoyed this kite & feel it's improved my skills quite a bit. So far, I've managed to do a few of the basic tricks w/ it, & it really helped me understand the difference between a trick kite and a precision kite.

Not saying it's a great kite, but it's pretty much as described on the ITW site. They make it pretty clear it's not a kite for a novice, and is made for very low wind conditions. I'll also note that the kites others are offering as alternatives cost more. For someone on a tight budget, I think the Wisp is not a bad choice for someone looking for a kite that will fly in the slightest of breezes, if they're willing to put in some time learning to control it. As mentioned before, I suggest getting longer lines too; that made a huge difference for me.

Don't Panic
Kites: Flying Wings Yin Yang, Into The Wind Wisp
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum