GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 09:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual line flying = flippy floppy, etc  (Read 3322 times)
Winged V
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 12, 2010, 05:08 PM »

I say that is BULL....,and if thats what your flying looks like you aint doing it right.Case in point,up on the hill yesterday there was a car club from Gettysburg having a picnic. There was around 60 people mostly older folks.I flew my IDEVIL for 5 hrs and always had most of their attention. Coin tosses off the roof of the pavilion,stalls in front of their chairs,fades over their heads,roll ups,slides from one end of pavilion to the other end and flying to music in my ipod all afternoon.
When the wind got lite tied on my Widow Maker ul and flew all the finess stuff and you could hear them saying look he has another kite out and their attention was renewed to that kind of flying.

I was not in their faces all day but they were watching all day. My wife,son and friends Joe and Kathy came up and we were sitting under a tree at the end of the day and they were amazed from all the thank you's and comments from the car club as they walked by to go home.Most had never seen a duel line kite before but they left knowing alot more about our kites when they left and to me thats what its about.

It aint what your flying but how you fly it.

(thread title respelled - zippy8)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:31 PM by zippy8 » Logged

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:26 PM »

you can share excitement about your day without disparaging how someone else may choose to fly.

live and let live.

Fdeli
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:24 PM »

I didn't see disparaging in the post, just a confirmation that novice kite 'watches' can and do get 'dual line', As I expierienced the other day also Wink

Either way 5+ hours of flying at any time is a good day!

WinterDaze AoF
turbo23
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 07:08 PM »

amen brother
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 07:29 PM »

I say that is BULL....,and if thats what your flying looks like you aint doing it right.
Whatever you say champ.  Roll Eyes

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:05 AM »

Hey WV...
I know what you're saying about flippy-floppy herky jerky flying. It looks like cr@p... like the kite's broken. The same tricks can be done so they're beautiful to watch in the right hands. Even a Comete is a cool looking trick, in the right hands. Right kite in the right hands, I should say. And that's only if you're watching the kite... anyone watching the pilot is sure to get a laugh, no matter how good the trick is, let's face it, a pilot performing most compicated tricks looks to be having severe spasms to the casual on-looker...
 Grin
~Rob.
BTW... IDEVIL ? not familiar with that one. New Sea Devil variant ?

Beachbum
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:16 AM »

Whoah,

I have had enough here.

WV I give you props as a comp level flier!

You gave us and Dodd a reason to say the FC is a good kite, but, MAN!!!  What happened?!  You seemed pissed about something. 

Now I know I missed something.
lylenc

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 06:11 AM »

Duel line flying = flippy floppy, etc

That's probably correct. Fighting the lines usually doesn't result in smooth flying or tricking ... bloody lawn darts most likely.   Wink

Whether I fly smooth or flippy floppy is irrelevant. The tourists can choose to watch or not, they can get it or not, they can become interested in kiting or not. They can have fun their way and I can have fun my way.

I picture the "in their face" aspect the same as unleashed dogs coming up to me and my kite gear. Some kiters may not mind a chance to pet the dog and chat with the owner. I'd rather appreciate how cute someone's dog is from afar - don't get in my face. I'm sure there is some of each type attitude in the tourist group, too.

One guy had a dog on leash and came up to talk about kites - did the kite promotion routine for about six questions - he let his dog piss on my kite bag - no "sorry" or anything - end of conversation. He didn't have to be asked to get out of my face.

Last week's vacation, had about a mile of open beach at 6am and SUL flying at the high tide line. Temporarily grounded due to zero wind for about ten minutes. Put kite by bag and weaved lines in 20' lengths to minimize my "footprint," even though it was low tide and nearly vacant wide beach. Couple walking half way down the beach with three unleashed dogs lets them run way over to me. Had visions of bird nest lines with three dogs romping around. Had to request owners call their "what they assumed were cute and ok to be in my face" dogs, which they did. They had shocked look that I didn't want their dogs in my face.

Kids and adults stop in the middle of the kite window to watch the kite, make cell phone calls, pull their underwear out of their cracks ... whatever. Even polite requests and explanations for them to move usually don't end positive. The kiter is intruding in "their" space, in their minds. I've learned its best to fly to the top of the window or land at the edge and wait them out. Otherwise, move down a ways so I can get on with my Zen.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 06:19 AM »

[quote
BTW... IDEVIL ? not familiar with that one. New Sea Devil variant ?
[/quote]

It is the new Apple knock off made in Silicon Valley...

"Do what you like"
lylenc

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 06:31 AM »

It's nice to have team fly options:  IDEVIL or IQUAD   Grin

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 08:01 AM »

Not sure of the original intent of the message but I prefer to fly how *I* want to fly and if the uninitiated doesn't get it, they can move on, IMO. The "flippity, floppity" is great fun particularly if you're on your game and are linking stuff together pretty well. That can be quite satisfying. But such a style of flying where you're just crashing and burning and missing most of what you are going for can look quite bad.

There is nothing wrong with slowing things down and throwing in some of the more graceful tricks, particularly with an SUL or UL. Mix it up and use the graceful stuff to link to the advanced combos. Heck, at my advancing age, I park the thing in a Fade just to catch my breath.  Kiss 

RonG
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 08:06 AM »

I don't give a damn whether onlookers "get it" or not.  I don't fly for them.  The only time I care what others think of my flying is when I step in front of a judging panel.  *I* know whether I'm flying well or poorly, and whether people watching think it's utter crap or the best thing they've ever seen is irrelevant.  I don't go out there to be an ambassador for kiting, I fly to have a good time.  End of story.
kitelover

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 08:48 AM »

I'll bet they're really glad you didn't pop out of that fade "over their heads" and lawn dart someone in the head. That was probably the most self serving post I've ever read. The next time you decide to blow air up your skirt, I think I'll pass.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 09:00 AM »

I echo the sentiment of several other post.

I fly dual line kites for pleasure and recreation.
My pleasure.  Grin
I enjoy when interested people ask questions and if they enjoy what I'm doing, great. But I don't and won't change how I fly because the public doesn't like it.

Tippy flippy flying is every bit as cool and enjoyable as slow graceful flying. It isn't easy either, so there is lots of skill needed. Depending on the tricks it can take a bit of physical fitness too.

Fly how you like.

Peace
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:02 AM by Dolphinboy » Logged

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35 AM »

I don't give a damn whether onlookers "get it" or not.  I don't fly for them.  The only time I care what others think of my flying is when I step in front of a judging panel.  *I* know whether I'm flying well or poorly, and whether people watching think it's utter crap or the best thing they've ever seen is irrelevant.  I don't go out there to be an ambassador for kiting, I fly to have a good time.  End of story.

I wasn't going to post until I saw this comment.  When you are one of the best pilots why not be an ambassador for at least part of the time?  The rev flyers play to and with onlookers.  I think that is good for the sport.  If the dual community only cares if judges or they appreciate their flying that is not healthy for the sport.  Flying for yourself is good, flying to attract others to the sport is not bad and could help kiting participation.  My general impression is that kiting is not a growing activity. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change