GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 08:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual line flying = flippy floppy, etc  (Read 3133 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 10:14 AM »

I don't give a damn whether onlookers "get it" or not.  I don't fly for them.  The only time I care what others think of my flying is when I step in front of a judging panel.  *I* know whether I'm flying well or poorly, and whether people watching think it's utter crap or the best thing they've ever seen is irrelevant.  I don't go out there to be an ambassador for kiting, I fly to have a good time.  End of story.

I wasn't going to post until I saw this comment.  When you are one of the best pilots why not be an ambassador for at least part of the time?  The rev flyers play to and with onlookers.  I think that is good for the sport.  If the dual community only cares if judges or they appreciate their flying that is not healthy for the sport.  Flying for yourself is good, flying to attract others to the sport is not bad and could help kiting participation.  My general impression is that kiting is not a growing activity. 

I think you miss the point. There is this notion out there that tricky flying is somehow inferior or not as pure or skilled as "old school" flying. Doesn't hold the non kiting public's attention or whatever and I call BS. Plus why fly in a style you don't want to just to be perceived as more graceful?

I so disagree that tricky flying is not attractive to non fliers. So the whole premise of the original post is off the mark. I know this for a fact, because I have been approached and watched many times while doing tippy flippy stuff and people loved it and watched me for hours. Should I say that because of this flying figures and doing slow Axels is lame? Plus I don't want to not enjoy myself because I need to attract new kiters. Believe me, they are attracted my tricky stuff.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 10:22 AM »

Mac i hear ya but i have to side with Ron, I fly for me. I will answer questions when asked and generally will be nice but at times i just want to be left alone.

Sine Metu!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 11:16 AM »

I am a flippy floppy flier....not by choice though.  I try to be smooth but ya know...the kite seems to have a mind all its own.

Moonfog
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 10:13 AM »

Duel line = fighters?  Embarrassed

Dual line = two lines.  Wink
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 01:32 PM »

Duel line = fighters?  Embarrassed

Dual line = two lines.  Wink
I know  Sad I leave you people alone for a couple of weeks and this is what I come back to  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 02:07 PM »

Mike, when you're gone.....

we are but sheep, wandering aimlessly.

No leader, no purpose...  Sad

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 02:42 PM »

What Ron said.... I totally agree. If I were trying to fly for others and not just doing what I want, I'd quickly lose interest.
If you get your kicks out of entertaining a crowd, go for it. Flying should be about doing what you want. There shouldn't be anyone saying that all real fliers fly flippy floppy stuff and I don't think anyone's saying that. People should be able to fly however they want. If that entertains people that's great, but if that is totally lost on the general populace I think that's fine as well. The most important thing about kiteflying is having fun. I at least don't enjoy the type of flying you described. I don't think that makes me any better or worse a person because I like different things.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 03:21 PM »

Mike, when you're gone.....

we are but sheep, wandering aimlessly.

No leader, no purpose...  Sad

Other than:
  • singing Kumbaya... off-key
  • knitting socks (oooh...but we ran out of rainbow yarn)
  • howling at the moon
  • indiscrimant imbibing of kamikaze shooters
  • spontaneous formation of conga lines, while balancing UL kites from random body parts (... the result of too many kamakaze shooters)
  • the occassional jello fight

At least we were able to keep John away from the hot knife long enough to prevent any impromptu vented sport kite experimentation.  Huh  Huh  Yaaaaay us !!

ATB,
Sam

Ace

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 03:22 PM »

Surely there is a bit of show off in us all Tongue
I mean flying for yourself is one thing, but being really good and impressing others is even better. I mean why go to all the effort of years of practice if you can't share, compete or just have fun with other flyers or members of the public. It's an ego thing, just like in any other sport!
Why not show some skills! If you got flaunt it I say Wink

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 03:36 PM »

Surely there is a bit of show off in us all Tongue
Up for debate...

if you can't share, compete or just have fun with other flyers or members of the public.

I think there might be a some fine (or not so fine) lines  between
  • compete
  • just have fun with other flyers
  • or members of the public.

ATB,
Sam
kiten00b
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 03:42 PM »

when I do whippywappyflippyfloppy "flying" it's sort of like when I'm noodling on the guitar
I don't expect anyone to like it, it's more just for my own entertainment and I'm easily amused
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 03:59 PM »

This.... conversation.... has been going on since roughly five minutes after the first Axel was popped. There is a nice little piece of back and forth between Mike Jones (of Jones Airfoils fame) and Andy Wardley here from 1998. Many of the arguments put forward then have been echoed here. They are unlikely to ever change.

For myself... I do this for my entertainment. I will on occasion both flip and flop. I will also carve shapes. I may even be so bold as to mix and match both. I simply don't care, me.

If all someone does is Precision or all they do is Trickery then I think that they're missing out but it's their loss and not mine. Most spectators where I live are more intrigued by the sight of a grown man "playing" with kites rather than what he's actually doing with it.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Ace

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 07:51 PM »

Flippy Floppy Shocked

I thought we were cooler than that Cheesy

Those are the terms that novices use to refer to our beloved sport.

The word is FREESTYLE Cool

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 08:08 PM »

when I do whippywappyflippyfloppy "flying" it's sort of like when I'm noodling on the guitar
I don't expect anyone to like it, it's more just for my own entertainment and I'm easily amused

Hit. Nail. Head.

Truthfully, there is such a thing as precision in trick flying. Getting the rotation and pitch to happen is one thing, aiming for the intended and consistent speed of execution, entry and exit for another matter is what makes it a lifelong challenge.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document