GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 05:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something a little different  (Read 998 times)
Todd
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 13, 2010, 04:30 PM »

After 10+ months in the making... the video is finished.

Tears Of The Dragon

Corey and I started this project last year and never got a chance to take it out for a true shakedown run. The boat is a 17' Hobie cat that was a gift from a good friend. It came with a bent mast and no sails, oh well itís free. Right? With a lot of effort we restored the hulls and replaced the tramp. You will be seeing footage from two different cameras, one being the ContourHD (for most of the video) and the second camera of course the GoProHD. Be sure to watch some of the bloopers at the end and feel free to download this if you care. You must be signed in and a member of Vimeo to do so.

I have some ideas on how to cure the bar roll with a couple of pulleys clipped into the chicken loop so I can use the de-power, other than that I think it'll rock. Comments and Criticism always welcome
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:08 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
By the time I finished watching, I forgot what forum I was one.  PKF flashback  Huh

Nice job on the video and the restore job.   The new tramps look comfy.

The Phantom matches the Hobie very nicely.

ATB,
Sam
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:21 PM »

THANK YOU!!!

have fun kurt
Todd

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:25 AM »

Thanks folks! The tramp was very snoooozable  Grin
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:52 AM »

Nice project... how does the original sail compare in size to the kite that you used ? Is the speed of the boat comparable ? Were you able to get the boat lifted onto one pontoon with the kite ?
I've thought of doing this myself, I used to enjoy sailing on a cat, and thought a power kite would be a great alternative to a sail. I've dragged my canoe with a power sled kite, but haven't tried a 2 line or 4 line kite, yet. The canoe ripped with 3 people and a full cooler on board, but it was only a downwind ride.
~Rob.

Todd

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 08:00 AM »

Thanks Rob. I think the kite would be a little larger than the sail, I may be wrong. Since we are still in the testing faze it would be hard to answer the question of speed. Certainly I hope for more speed, however would not encourage lifting a pontoon just yet  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document