GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Light Wind Inland Kites - Best Option Comparison?  (Read 3196 times)
mcocola
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 14, 2010, 05:30 AM »

I've been searching for a relatively inexpensive inland kite for a while now.  I have come up with a number of options none of which seem optimal.

Silver Fox UL (2.3 and 2.5) - Supposedly on the heavy end of UL kites, I'm not sure they would let me get out and fly on many of the days we have around here

French Connection UL - Not too much info around out there but by the weight it seems also like a heavier kite.

Freestylist UL - Everyone seems to like them.  I don't know about their ability in very low wind but no one seems to have them in stock and they are on the upper end of what I am willing to spend.

HQ Shadow - Seems like I would be able to fly this in the fickle winds we have around here.  Light, and people say it is trickable but it seems like it is out of production?

Desire UL - Not entirely sure about its MO but I think I have read that it is not as trickable as some but does have a lower wind range than some of the ones mentioned

What kites am I missing that warrant a look?  At this point the ability to fly often outweighs the ability to do crazy precision tricks but I would like a kite that I can grow into.

Let me know your thoughts
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:18 AM »

Its hard to make a kite that flies in low wind and does more than a few basic tricks. The ones that do generally sell for a premium price. IMO the HQ Shadow is the best of the options you've listed. They aren't in production per se but HQ does a run of them now and again. Keep an eye on the swap meet or place a wanted ad there. They do come up for sale once in a while.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:29 AM »

What kites am I missing that warrant a look?  At this point the ability to fly often outweighs the ability to do crazy precision tricks but I would like a kite that I can grow into.

you might need to specify what you are meaning by the term "crazy precision tricks"....precision is a different world that tricks.....

you will find more of ul kites that will excel at normal flying/precision flying....the makers can get away with having a bigger sale area to catch more of those light winds....but then it is harder to do tricks with a kite with a big sail....a good number of the tricks out that need that wind to help push the kite into its positions for the tricks....

what is a price range that you are shooting for?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mcocola

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:44 AM »

The point I was trying to get across is that I will be the limiting factor for the kite so I don't need a kite that does everything super well.

Price range is 150-200 probably including fly lines.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 06:53 AM »

you will find more of ul kites that will excel at normal flying/precision flying....the makers can get away with having a bigger sale [sic] area to catch more of those light winds....but then it is harder to do tricks with a kite with a big sail....

4D vs E3, E3 is a much bigger sail and is more precise and trick capable. But won't fly in zero wind like the 4D.
Kitehouse Sissy vs Cosmic TC, Cosmic TC has much more sail area, is more precise and does way more tricks. But again, won't fly in zero wind like the Sissy.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:40 AM »

Where inland are you? It might be worth trying to find someone else to fly with and try their kites.
Of the ones you have chosen i would say the shadow, although the 4d is getting good reviews
just my 2 cents

Sine Metu!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:32 AM »

My votes for the Freestylist and the Shadow. The shadow is going to take some getting used to, though...
The Ocius ul is also a veryVERY nice UL, that doesn't need weight to trick. I've flown mine in 0 wind on 50lbs doing 360's. It's a bit more money but in my opinion its one of the best UL's from Skyburner.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:11 AM »

The HQ Shadow IS curently in production, it was reintroduced for 2010 - I bought one earlier this year. It's an excellent UL/almost SUL kite. It will fly and trick down to 2mph easily, maybe a little less. It will do all the tricks you would expect from a UL up to and including Jacobs Ladders - it's great at backspins! The only downside is that it does oversteer a lot straight from the bag but this is easily cured to a great extent by a simple 2 minute bridle mod. Well worth considering for the money.

HQ SHADOW

VIDEO

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 09:46 AM »

You might consider an STX SUL if there is one available. I have been flying inland for 25 years and own a lot of low wind kites- M2s, Aerostar, Amazing, Pizazz, Mantis UL, Ultra SUL, and French Connection and they are all good kites down to 4 mph. But when I'm looking at something like 2 or 3 mph, the STX is my "go to" kite.

Stoney 
mcocola

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 09:49 AM »

The Shadow does seem like it would be a very good mix of very-low wind performance and tricking ability for when I progress.  When you say that it will take time to get used to, are you refering to the smaller control inputs necessary? 

Also, where did you find one for sale?

Lastly, what is considered the upper wind limit on a Shadow?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:59 AM by mcocola » Logged
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 09:59 AM »

Email or PM me.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
mcocola

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:34 AM »

PM'd
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 10:48 AM »

Email or PM me.
when in doubt ask Steve, cuz he's da man! Cheesy

Stoney,
Stx ul, I'm guessing you mean a stx 1.8? I have one and it is great in next to no wind the only kite i have that does better is my aerostar sano ssz. Occasionally the 1.8 comes up in the swaps, I have a black one but would love another color.

Sine Metu!
Hadge

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 11:34 AM »

The Shadow does seem like it would be a very good mix of very-low wind performance and tricking ability for when I progress.  When you say that it will take time to get used to, are you refering to the smaller control inputs necessary? 

Also, where did you find one for sale?

Lastly, what is considered the upper wind limit on a Shadow?

Yes you do need to use smaller inputs, the Shadow works best with a smooooth easy style. Upper limit is quoted at 12mph but to be honest there isn't much point in using it over about 8/9 mph as you'd be better off using a standard. Taking out the internal spine weight helps a lot in really low winds but at the expense of some of the tricks.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
mcocola

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 12:00 PM »

Sounds good.  Learn the hard way to give smooth inputs Wink

I put a WTB ad out there but if anyone knows someone who is selling one... send em my way!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography