GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 09:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Light Wind Inland Kites - Best Option Comparison?  (Read 4788 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 12:25 PM »

I concur with others - the Shadow is one heck of a sweet low wind trick kite in my opinion.   It likes to fly and flat spin much better than many of the others that you are considering that I've flown.

Many kites have come and gone through my bag, but that one is still there.  In fact, it is now the oldest kite that I own.

BTW - I like how the kite feels currently, but can someone post the mods that they made in order to reduce the oversteer?  I'd be interested to see how I like it.

6 kite tom
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 01:04 PM »

All I did to mine was to tie a knot halfway up the loop on the upper outhaul that goes around the the pigtail knots. This shortens the uphaul by about 3cm, lifting the tow point. Pull the knot at the end of the end of the loop up as far as it will go and tie a knot halfway along. This seems to have taken a lot of the oversteer out of the kite and also gives a bit more drive as it increases the AOA. Try it and see what you think, it's easy to change back if you don't like it.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 06:45 PM »

I have a Shadow and a 4D (Thanks devin!). The shadow I managed to find new with the original rainbow design last year from a Ma'N'Pa shop somewhere on the west coast (isnt the internet great!). It was stashed in the back store for some years the clerk said, the last one they had.

Even gave me a "liquidation" price since it was so old Wink Guess he didnt know how rare they are now.

The only problem... the rubber that holds the upper spar in the middle is all cracks and ready to break. The weight is rusted and not shiney clean. I guess thats what happens when its been stored for a bit too long.

My first impressions where "WTF!". I could not get this guy to fly in less than 4mph winds. And it was hyper twitchy. Shortening down the briddle helps greatly with low wind as per recommendations here on GWTW, and removing the weight helps too (doh!). So remember to do that if you are planing some really low wind flying.

The 4D is also quite fun to fly, easy to stall and flip. But do not dart on the ground with it Wink

BTW, anyone know where I can get a replacement rubber for the upper spine (Assuming I actually need it...) for the Shadow? Just because I know its going to break soon...

Crunchie
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:46 PM by crunchie » Logged
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 11:30 PM »

they are plumbing fixture o-rings so any hardware or plumbing supply will stock them  personally i dont use it

have fun kurt
Hadge

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 12:07 AM »

You should be able to buy them at your local kite store - at least you can here in the UK.  Does anyone know if the information for the Shadow is still available from the 'old' forum as I would be interested to read it?

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
mcocola

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 05:00 AM »

Just purchased a lightly used Shadow from a forum member.  I hope it's as versatile as everyone says  Smiley
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 11:49 AM »

You'll like it I'm sure...........Just remember the word 'soft' and you'll be fine Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 11:53 AM »

Shadow:

1 Make sure the bridle has been adjusted to a much lighter position (higher tow point).

2 Use small hand motions as the kite has lots of oversteer.

If the bridle is set correctly, the kite should fly in 2 mph winds with just minor foot motion.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 09:23 PM »

worked for me

have fun kurt
mcocola

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 05:12 PM »

Took the kite out for a spin today.  Its pretty nice but I now see what you all meant about needing a bridle adjustment.  When it got gusty it had a lot of pull and went skyward in a huge hurry and when the wind was light I seemed like I was walking backward unnecessarily. 

Can someone show me what the adjusted bridle looks like (a zoomed out photo) or some description?  Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change