GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 12:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed for simple question  (Read 1147 times)
try1897
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 14, 2010, 09:57 AM »

Hello to all , I got this huge tank of a kite and as a newbe I've found it to be the most exciting thing I've done in awile. The kite is a K-44 Stealth cheap-o kite but at 8' 6" it Thunders across the window and pulls like a parafoil . For me I'ts a blast because for one I can fly it all day and I've only had it for three or four days. Cool to be able to keep it in the sky and carve and learn with . Ok now for the question. How do I land this thing.Huh? So far the first time in the air it flew for 1/2 hour and one line broke . So I had some 200lb.black line and I made up a long set 135 ft.and flew the second time for 45 min. and the kite had some nylon rings on the bridle to conect the lines to and my line burned through the ring and cabluie I thought it broke another line but it was the rings so I replaced them with small steal rings and the third time I flew for almost an hour and was flying low to the ground and in a lapse of con. pulled the wrong line and crashed in a nice cartwheel . Today was a bust in wind so far . So How do I stop/land without crashing ? A controled crash is all I know.....Poor Old Tom
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:59 AM by try1897 » Logged

TRY Mayfly
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:25 AM »

Wow! sounds like a real beast!!  Huh  Probably the best and safest way would be to try and persuade the thing over to the very edge of the wind window where it should power down to enable a more or less controlled landing by stalling the kite and walking forwards.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:32 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:29 AM »

Fly to the edge of the wind, stall the kite, and walk towards the kite keeping the lines even.  This should given you a controlled two point (both wing tips touch down at the same time) landing.

Diagrams to accompany instructions can be found here: http://www.gwtwforum.com/pdf/dualbook.pdf (page 35).

ATB,
Sam

P.S.  If you go to YouTube, and search for "stunt kite landing", one of the first couple of videos should be very helpful.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:37 AM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:05 PM »

Sam:

Where is this book located?  Seems like I have missed a reference section and want to see what else is there.

Tom
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 01:02 PM »

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=pages;sa=2
Little navigation bar at the top of every page.  This one is labeled "extras".  Once there click on "pdf downloads".

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 01:11 PM »

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=pages;sa=2
Little navigation bar at the top of every page.  This one is labeled "extras".  Once there click on "pdf downloads".

Here over a year and never noticed.   Thanks Steve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change