GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 10:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bandsaw in an apartment? I think so.  (Read 1200 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: July 15, 2010, 06:56 PM »

Hello all... this is my first post here on GWTW Kite forum, but I've been reading for a while.  I'm a relatively new kite builder here in Seattle, and only building for my own enjoyment at the moment.  So far I've had a blast constructing the handful of kites I've completed, and hope that my flying skills will improve as fast as I've picked up the craft of sewing.  (been flying for a while, but have no freestyle ability at all... slack lines? only when I dump the kite!)

So far, I've completed several of Christian Derefat's designs and an 85% version of Ian Newham's Thornback (with my own sail pattern). 

Today has been eventful, as I met Paul of Focus Kite Design (a nice guy that I hope to run into again... perhaps to acquire one of his fine kites or to learn some flying skills from), and I bought a bandsaw so I can be cutting more permanent sail templates (as I have gotten tired of tearing/burning my poster-board templates used to this point).  Hopefully the people who live in the apartment next to me will forgive the use of power tools.

Anyway, I am pleased to be part of the community and look forward to posting some pics of my creations at some point in the future.  'til later.

Stephen
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:47 PM »

Just curious - what are you planning on using for template materials? Thinking of re-making my hardboard templates as they're not quite hard enough to cut against, so I have to trace and then cut.
Good luck!
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:30 PM »

Stephen,
Finally...........thinkin' it's about time.......looking forward to an example of your handiwork Smiley

I know it will be great.........I've heard rumours, already Cool

Jim
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:33 PM by Kantaxel » Logged

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:47 PM »

It isn't really a bandsaw if it isn't at least a 36" Tannewitz, 10HP, 440V, 3 phase. That's what you have in your apartment, right?
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 05:15 AM »

Welcome Stephen!

a trick to keeping the posterboard templates working well is to go to the hardware store and pick up a roll of REAL DUCT TAPE....that silver (not grey) aluminumized tape....slice the tape so that it is 1" wide and then cover the edges of the template with that - wrap top to bottom....the tape will help to reinforce and stiffen the edge of the template as well as it handles the heat better too....

and then..oh yes..PICTURES!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:49 PM »

It isn't really a bandsaw if it isn't at least a 36" Tannewitz, 10HP, 440V, 3 phase. That's what you have in your apartment, right?

oh yes, absolutely.  I mean, how else will I cut down the 4x8' sheets of whiteboard material I'm using for templates.  actually, it's a 10" Rikon... but with a little imagination, I see the 36" Tannewitz!

Thanks everyone for the welcoming words.  Now I need to go put this new tool to use.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change