GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 02:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyshark/ Dynamic ferrules  (Read 1623 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 17, 2010, 10:22 AM »

Does anyone know if Skyshark ferrules - the solid internal type will also fit Dynamic tapered spars?  I thought I'd broken a ferrule on my FW Soul yesterday- luckily it had just come loose and needed  re-gluing - but I realised I don't have any spares. Dynamic stuff is hard to get hold of in the UK but I can buy Skyshark easily.

Thanks.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:03 AM »

The Skyshark rods use a .240 internal ferule.  Dynamics use a .250 internal ferule.

The Skyshark Black Diamond Nitro's are a little different.  IIRC, you need to insert a short segment of P100 into the large end of the tapered rod, then insert the .240 ferule.  Have to double check that as I haven't had to replace many of the Nitro rods.

You could use the Skyshark ferules for the Dynamics but it would have a little gap in the Dynamic rods that would need to be filled.  Better to use the larger ferule for the Dynamics.  The .250 will not fit into the Skysharks without some serious sanding.

Hope that helps.

Hadge

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:14 AM »

Thanks for that. Looks like I'll have to track down some Dynamics.  Smiley

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:16 AM »

ID on the Nitros is .285 same as GForce Rods so you should be able to find those locally.  If not sleeving the .240 with P100 will work

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Jeepster

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:19 AM »

You could look around for 0.250 inch diameter solid carbon rods and cut your own ferrules.  They are reasonably easy to purchase stateside.  A little expensive 'cuz you're paying for a lot of carbon fiber, but not too bad.

Cut them carefully with a fine toothed saw, chuck them in a drill, sand the ends smooth, and add a little radius along the edge.  Then sand the part that is glued into the tube.

Cheers,
Tom

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:07 PM »

I just double checked the ID on the Dynamic rods and they came to .246 so good luck on getting .250 to fit (also on finding .250 solid carbon).
Best bet is to use the .240.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:03 PM by Steve » Logged

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:59 PM »

You could just reduce the OD of a .240 ferrule until it fits snug.

I usually do this OD-reduction by putting the piece in the chuck of a power drill, some curved-over sandpaper around the piece, then let-rip!

It's a little like turning wood or metal on a lathe. Very quick and effective technique.

Mark

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
MB
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:21 PM »

Yeah, just don't breath the dust.

Matt
kitelover

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 10:40 PM »

The sandpaper heats up pretty quickly also.
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:55 PM »

Yeah, just don't breath the dust.

Indeed. Breathe in, hold it, then slowly blow the piece to keep dust away (or wear a mask).

As for the sandpaper heating up quickly, true; but I guess my kitemaking thick finger-skin doesn't notice it much.  Cheesy

Mark

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography