GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 01:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocius Std with Q Flaps  (Read 2370 times)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« on: July 20, 2010, 08:39 AM »

Ocius Q Flaps

Just a video of the new Ocius Std with some Q flaps. We figured to try a small kite with some flaps, and we were pleasantly surprised!

TIP- if you're tricking with Q flaps, take the rod in them out. It doesn't get in the way of roll ups as much! I actually did a commete with them and the rod went thru the fitting for it, so we took them out, and yet again, another surprise.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:54 AM »

Thanks Devin,

That really looks interesting. I have a set of QFlaps which I experimented briefly on my Widow Makers but didn't made too much sense of it. Currently trying to fit them on my Tricktail and see if I am able to do some precise looking reverse flight.

The reverse flight and in place rolls do look pretty nice and controlled at certain points in the video. So do you think the QFlaps are easily portable onto other dual line kites? Problem is my Tricktail doesn't have leader lines like the WM so most probably I need to make my own leaders with adjustable knots and try to match their length with the quad pair extensions.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
adx1592

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:01 AM »

The Q flaps, in my opinoin, are best for a lighter pulling kite, in  BIGGGGG wind. Thats how you can really nail down backwards flight. When I got my WM, mine didn't come with leaders, so I would use a kite that doens't have leaders and hook up the quad handles. You really need to pound on the lower lines to get the kite to stop flying forward too, which is why I use a lighter pulling kite (plus its easier to trick in higher wind, in my opinion). If you have an Ocius, try it on that, or something like the WM ul in standard winds. We've only used Qflaps for when the wind is big to the point where normal dualies  just aren't fun to fly.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:38 AM »

Pic'd up my Ocius UL at Kites and Fun Things yesterday  Grin.  This kid Devin is one fine Pilot... Ya' gotta love em'.  And other's I've seen.  First time I've seen a kite flying backwards... Kid you can fly wind... Good job.  Sad part is he can do better... Roll Eyes

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:31 AM »

Why would I want my perfectly decent duallie to fly like it's got a persistent line wrap problem ?  Embarrassed

Currently trying to fit them on my Tricktail ......
There will shortly be a knock on the door. Don't try to run, you'll just be tired when The Kite Police kill you for crimes against decency.

Mike,
former TC Ultra owner and occasional flyer. Emphasis on former.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:38 PM »

Thanks for that Devin,

Nothing personal, I like watching you fly generally Wink But this... well... I think I know what I don't need to put in my kite bag.

Looks like lots of work for no gain  Cool

WinterDaze AoF
lasapcheong

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 07:45 PM »

Why would I want my perfectly decent duallie to fly like it's got a persistent line wrap problem ?  Embarrassed

Currently trying to fit them on my Tricktail ......
There will shortly be a knock on the door. Don't try to run, you'll just be tired when The Kite Police kill you for crimes against decency.

Mike,
former TC Ultra owner and occasional flyer. Emphasis on former.

Ahh Mr All Seeing Eye,

You gotta make sure you're getting your money's worth right? I'll stick a tail on my Tricktail along the way too. More reason for my treason.  Cool

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 07:57 PM »

"tail on Tricktail"....been done, but I had a good reason.

As far as the Q-flaps.....
If you don't own a quad-line kite, sure get them. But if you own ANY four-line kite, I'd suggest flying that instead of the excellent Ocius burdened with 2 extra lines.

I'm with Mr. Emery on the flaps.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 08:01 PM »

I don't own a quad. Not really to fond of them.

I don't own these either, their jons hahaha.

I just enjoy a bit of different flying with them. It's fun on a stinkin' high wind day.

That vid was my 2nd time with the flaps, which is why most of the quad stuff is jon and most of the tricks are me lol, I just kinda like a change every now and then. It's nice to know when the wind is almost 'to high' that there's a quirky alternative, yaknow?

Just in it for the fun Wink

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
lasapcheong

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 08:03 PM »

Thats a cool picture John. I was really seriously contemplating putting a tail on the TT but not too sure if I should stick it on the curved tail as it'll look quite weird. The Center Tee looks like a good alternative.

-Darryl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change