GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 10:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you want wind, try this.  (Read 1513 times)
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: July 21, 2010, 02:45 PM »

I imagine that I will get a lot of flack but I have tried this on numerous occasions and it works for me. Imagine that the air is similar to water in that water has different strata - that is - different layers of temperature  at different levels and that there are currents, layers of still water, and deeper currents. These currents move in different directions at different speeds. The first time I tried this was on New Years Day 2010 and I have tried this numerous times since. I launched an SUL on 200 foot lines and hammered the kite up to a point where I found pretty decent wind at about 150 feet. I flew the kite while for maybe 15 minutes while about 20 (not flying kite) fliers looked on. I brought the kite down and waited about 10 minutes. Suddenly I looked up and saw the non fliers flying happily. I since I am an inland flier, I have a true need for wind so I began giving this a try whenever the occasion arose. The most recent effort took place at Old Dominion Stunt Kite Competition. Winds were clocked at one mile below zero and the competition ground to a halt. I described what I was going to try to a couple of competitors (Gary Engvall for one) and then I flew an SUL up to 200 feet where I found some decent wind. Within 15 minutes, we had flyable wind at ground level. So I can't prove that what I did had anything to do with "ripping the sky open" but I will continue to do this as long as it works. So, with all of the complaints about low wind that have been posted, I invite "whoever" to give this a try. I would like to get some feedback from fliers across the country (or the world for that matter).
After all- when you are standing in an open field looking longingly at the sky - what have you got to lose? Also I have observed that cloudless skies have a tendency to be windless but, if there are clouds and they are moving, you have a good chance to stir up the wind at ground level.   
Stoney

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:59 PM »

OK so what are you saying? That you forced the wind down to a lower level with the kite or caused turbulence which mixed the layers or that the kite just pleased the wind faeries so they moved some down for the other kites that didn't have long strings? How long does this work for?

edit: cut video, hey this should be popular

Crackpot Idea.wmv

OK flack mode off, really if it works for you keep doing it.  Smiley

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:06 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:02 PM »

Had to check the date ... was thinking that my birthday was only 4 days away.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:17 PM »

Blowing up a paper bag, walking into the middle of the field and popping it also works. 

However, it is entirely dependent on one's own personal hot air quotient.  Cheesy 

The DPW has placed restrictions on me employing this method due to damage to park trees.  Roll Eyes

ATB,
Sam
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:40 PM »

OK so what are you saying? That you forced the wind down to a lower level with the kite or caused turbulence which mixed the layers or that the kite just pleased the wind faeries so they moved some down for the other kites that didn't have long strings? How long does this work for?

OK flack mode off, really if it works for you keep doing it.  Smiley

Just makes me wonder how Dennis cold have kept directing the movie after that scene...........or how Jack could have been able to act so uninitiated................I guess that's why they were actors and we...................?

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:35 AM »

Vortex shedding from a circular cylinder

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:00 AM »

Great visual on vortices's, we need one of a fluid running over a flat plane with a vertical obstruction like a tree or building. Definitely helps visualize why your SSUL sometimes ends up coming directly at you and toward the ground faster then it would fall by itself.

Off subject: looking for the example above I found this, is it real? Can dolphins make these bubble rings and then cut them into smaller rings? Swim through them? I gotta go play in the pool now  Wink

Dolphin play bubble rings

too cool

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 08:14 AM »

Dolphin Bubble Rings --- Ding, Ding, Ding     Huh TRUE  Huh

Snopes

Article: Bubble Ring Play of Bottlenose Dolphins: Implications for Cognition (Journal of Comparative Psychology, 2000)

ATB,
Sam
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 10:27 AM »

Prove me wrong.

In the mean time, while some of you will be laughing at the Fool and waiting for the wind to blow at ground level, I will be flying.

Stoney
ghfisanotti

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 09:34 AM »

This is a matter that I have empirically proved myself over and over:

a) if you want a stronger wind, start assembling your SUL kites.
b) if you want a lighter wind, start assembling your vented kites.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 10:42 AM »

Agreed, when I started kite flying I would take my kites to the lake with me so I could fly during the windy afternoons when the lake would be too choppy to ski comfortably. It always guaranteed a glass smooth lake for the whole day.

Sketch

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 10:18 AM »

Over the years....being "ADDICTED TO THE WIND" like many of you, I too have been in that same "need for my daily SK Fix" and FEEL YOUR PAIN..WHEN THE WIND DOESN'T "CO-OP!"

Seeking out locations on those virtually windless days..when even a tattered old Vapor on my shortest  50ft. #12 lb. kevlar (borrowed from my Boeing Wind Tunnel Phantom Works Wind flight box) had a difficult time staying aloft often resorted to all kinds of strange behavioral problems.

Here are a few of my own successful wind seeking locations in my area.
I would often take my SUL's out to a field that was located next to the I-5 Northbound traffic lanes.
A constant flow of commuter traffic consistantly assure enough air flow that would give me enough to fly. 
Another location I found near my home...was a very busy cross country railroad track location.
 I used to have neighbor who worked as a RR train dispatcher who gave me the train schedules for those long long line of passing rail car traffic.
 I would time my flying time to the RR's time schedule.
During and after those trains pass...they too will leave a long vortex of consistant and constant moving air mass that will often trigger a mass of moving air with enough momentum and time to fly
(at least for a few minutes or even longer)
 depending on the air temp. and provailing wind condititon.

I found that often these locations will usually provide enough flyable wind...when dead days of both summer and winter are not available.

During my serving my "work life sentence behind the chain link  3 strand wire fences of the Boeing Company.during noon day breaks and after work....
especially in the  summer days I could find enough air to fly with just the heated or cooling air that was flowing either in or out of those large oversized Delivery Center Airplane hanger doors that would always left open.
After gaining permission (baited with smooozin)  for both the Flight Test Director management team as well as the Security Team manager was a definate aid assurance-insurance to allow my daily sport-kite flyin FIX...as long as I flew on short lines and set out those "saftey cones and wore my neon safety vest."

During one Boeing Phantom Works assignment...My studio was located in a building just North of Sea-Tac. I noticed that often just the votex generated by a constant stream of landing commercial aircraft...would also set up a flowing stream of air that  I would take advantage for flying time. (HOWEVER! That air was often EXTREMELY TORN UP AND BUMPY....TALK ABOUT RADICAL NEW AEROBATICAL' TRICKS N TREATS!!!)

Years ago...(when my daughter lived downtown in a Seattle High rise) you could often see folks like myself, Mark Reed and other equally addicted kite freaks...flying our kites in the dark alley ways between those high buildings.
Simply the cool air night...combined with those hot tall building surfaces, always assured a consistant amount of moving air mass to allow flight.
(BEWARE AND FORE-WARNED!)
DOWNTOWN IN THE ALLEY WAYS OF SEATTLE OR ANY OTHE MAJOR CITY...ARE NOT THE SAFEST PLACE TO FLY AFTER DARK! SO NEVER FLY THERE ALONE....OR MAKE CERTAIN YOU HAVE A CELL PHONE SET ON RE-DIAL TO 911.!!!! Shocked
I remember being warned AND ASKED OR TOLD to roll up my lines and EXIT STAGE LEFT OR RIGHT more than just a few times by the Seattle Police dept....who seemed more concerned about my sanity than my safety.

Besides...THOSE ALLEY RATS ARE THE SIZE OF LARGE DUMPSTER RACOONS AND TRAVEL IN PACKS!

AMAZING WHAT LENGTHS AVID WIND SEEKERS WILL GO THROUGH TO FIND THEIR ADDICTED SEARCH FOR WIND. Tongue Tongue Lips sealed Lips sealed Cry Cry

[in order to save space on the server attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:21 AM by Sketch » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography