GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 04:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite to teach kids basic stunt kite tricks, Jazz, Jewel or Wolf?  (Read 3481 times)
crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 23, 2010, 09:43 AM »

When I go kiting, I always seem to catch the attention of one or two kids and I've been wondering which of these kites I should take with me to teach them the basics of stunt kiting.

I need a kite that does not have a big pull, it should have an attractive sail color and be able to do some basic tricks and not be too expensive since it will take a few beatings.

I have 3 choices :

Prism Jazz, pro: Nice color, Folds in nice carry along bag. con: Needs more wind, trick??
Premier Jewel or Wolf, pro: Light, can do many tricks, con: more expensive and not as nice sail colors

Anyone tried to trick on the Prism Jazz?
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:29 AM »

Are you flying at the beach or inland?

What "basic" tricks do you require from the kite?

Even pultruded, the graphite/fiberglass frame and dimished sail area takes a toll on the Jazz's wind requirements.

Probably fine as a beach kite, but inland, on less windy days, you might be disappointed.

Kind of surprised that you have don't have the Premier Addiction or New Tech Cherry Bomb, or any of the Skydog kites on your list of candidates.  Some of the 2010 HQ kites are also worth a look.

Even though it takes a bit more research, some of the kites that essentially use one spar type/diameter throughout the kite are easier to maintain by just buying a few rods and cutting to size what typically breaks.

ATB,
Sam

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:30 AM »

I saw a guy named Mark Reed do some real nice stuff with a Jazz.

Excelent kid kite.

Allen, AKA kitehead
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:12 PM »

I know its not on there, but how about a Nexus? Nice colors, a bit bigger, it'll do the basic tricks (just my two cents), multi lazies and commetes. I haven't tried a backspin on them. Only flew one for about 10 mins.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:14 PM »

Can't compare it with the Jazz or the Jewel since I've never flown either one but many find a larger, slower kite to be easier for a beginner, so if you can justify the extra cost for the Wolf it's worth consideration, you might even find you enjoy it yourself. It's a surprisingly accurate flier for a smaller very tricky kite, that will cut some sweet corners with straight exits. It's also forgiving and pretty sturdy. It'll find its way out of some pretty amazing messes too, half the fun of it is when you totally blow a trick or just slap it hard and give it some slack it'll often reward you with a "How the heck did it do that?" moment when it recovers itself to fly off. I'll grab it on high wind days when a full sized standard kite would be a hand full and stressed to the limits, it's just fun to play with and handles high winds fine.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
indigo_wolf

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:17 PM »

I saw a guy named Mark Reed do some real nice stuff with a Jazz.

Excelent kid kite.

Mark could probably wow crowds flying a brick on uneven linesets.... not sure that is a valid barometer for a teaching kite in iffy winds.

ATB,
Sam
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 12:24 PM »

The kite should be at least 7ft. Small kite flies too fast for a beginner. Longer flying line helps too.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 12:36 PM »

I fly 99% of the time inland, so light wind is a must. Cost is also an issue, so as soon as I hit something like the wolf, I'm up at 100$ and with a kite thats probably going to see some damage.

I've checked the HQ kites, I'm checking out the Tango II (still a small kite). Skydog I don't have a clue what could work in their line.

Something under 80$ thats not too fast, not sure if that combo exists Wink

I think the Jazz is too heavy for me after looking at it.
indigo_wolf

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 02:43 PM »

Depending on your trick requirements....

Flying Wings Alpha  Huh
Wing Span: . 7 foot 4 inchs.... Price nicks in at around $70-$75.

Fair warning though, if the wind is up it will develop healthy amounts of pull.

I believe most spars are 6mm pultruded so repairs are fairly painless.

Caveat: I have a sentimental bias towards the kite, so take that for what it's worth.

I am partial to the Sahara color scheme:

Any chance you are on the East Coast?

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:50 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 03:03 PM »

Do yourself and them a favor ... forget about teaching them tricks as it will confuse them and draw their focus away from learning basic control of the kite.  IMO speed is part of the thrill for new fliers, particularly young ones.  Not talking Micron fast but you do not want some lumbering kite to start them off with.  Also be aware that on most kites most new flyers will struggle maintaining control in winds under 6 mph or so.
If you are just looking to expose youngsters to the thrill of tethered flight a nexus or beetle would be fine.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
indigo_wolf

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 03:07 PM »

If you are just talking about bombing around at speed, I wouldn't rule out a two line foil in the 1.5-1.7M range.    Added benefit of no broken spars and small pack down size.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:38 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 03:14 PM »

That would be great Sam, but what size "kids" is Shane talking about?

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 03:44 PM »

Speaking about getting pulled around:  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
indigo_wolf

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 03:51 PM »

That would be great Sam, but what size "kids" is Shane talking about?

No clue.... I was basing it on the Jazz being included in the original candidates and the "I need a kite that does not have a big pull" requirement.  (Note: the "would" was meant to be "wouldn't" in my last post...corrected now).

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I guess I was picturing "kids" at the age where sticking their tongue out was used as a technique to augment kite control.

ATB,
Sam

[in order to save space on the server attachment deleted by admin]
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 04:15 PM »

I am  42  years  old  Sam  and  my tounge  still goes  out  to augemnt   kite control Grin Tongue

Good air always Bobby
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography