GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 03:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camcorder suggestions?  (Read 2900 times)
kenmcneill
Trade Count: (0)
« on: July 23, 2010, 01:00 PM »

I find myself in need of a camcorder, and would appreciate the advice of a knowledgeable soul. 

It will be used mostly for shooting kite videos, which will be posted online.  It will also occasionally be used for videos to be shown on a smaller TV.  Do I really need HD?  I prefer flash storage.  What other specs are important?

My budget is up to $400.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:35 PM »

If you want super simple without any fuss, Go Pro HD, you can get one for about $299.00 and it comes with all kinds of mounts for either a helmet or other and will stick just about anywhere.  Small, durable, even comes with a water proof case.  The video's on it are awesome for a very inexpensive 1080 HD camera.  You get about 2 hours of video on one charge - comes with battery.  It fits in the palm of your hand. Smiley

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 05:03 PM »

I'm still slugging along with an old (and cheap) Sony cam that records to DV tape so I have no recommendations but I do have a question ... what are the minimum computer requirements for processing (in a reasonable amount of time) HD video's?

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Mrhide

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 05:25 PM »

received 2 of these this week (10 days to reach canada)

amazing little things!  Huh

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320564400967

Seriously, at that price, it's amazing what comes out of it!

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 05:40 PM »

mounts for either a helmet

You got me thinking ...

[in order to save space on the server attachment deleted by admin]

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:56 PM »

i have one of those little cameras, bought it to put on my r/c heli wih intentions of putting it on a kite spreaders, may have to do that tomorrow

I also have an atc1000 camera that has been mounted on my kart, more of a toy but it seems to handle the abuse. One of its mounts is for a helmet.

but more on topic, i have looked at a sony on tiger direct for 350, but reviews are mixed on amazon. I would giveup on size to get quality. good luck with your search
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:03 PM by DD » Logged

Sine Metu!
Gamelord

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 03:25 PM »

Here's a Youtube Video of some Kite Buggying using the Go Pro HD.  It is not my video, just one that shows what the video quality looks like.  Be sure to watch it in HD and full screen, very impressive for a tiny little camera:

Crescent Beach - Kite Buggy

Here's the specs on this tiny thing:
    * Dimensions (H x W x D): 1.6 x 2.4 x 1.2 (42mm x 60mm x 30mm)
    * Weight: 3.3oz (94g) incl. battery, 5.9oz (167g) incl. housing

5.9 oz overall with the hard plastic water proof housing.....kewl huh.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 08:19 PM »

not sure, but i do not believe the go pro has a screen to check what you are shooting. if not it might be a bit of a drawback to carry a laptop around with it??  just wondering

have fun kurt
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 04:58 AM »

The JVC Everio series are nice little camcorders with flash drive. You can get them @ Best Buy. They're super easy to use. Make good video. And have a direst to Youtube download feature. Oh, and they're in your price range.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 03:33 PM »

I'm very happy with my Sanyo CG-10. It shoots HD on a flash card, and costs ~$200 + the cost of the card. It blows the lens off my JVC hard drive camera. It will fit 1 1/2 hours on a 16gig card, but you need a battery for every 1/2 hour. 1 comes with it, an extra costs ~$20 from Radio Shack. It's not the best camera, I'm sure, but on a budget, it's a great camera...

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:35 PM »

No suggestion, I have not researched them personally since I am not in the market at this time. But I will say at your price point it's going to be hard if not impossible to find one with a viewfinder, just like with digital camera's. So whatever you are looking at make sure you take it outside into bright sunlight before purchasing or that they have a good return policy so you can bring it back when you discover you can't use it outdoors. The one we got takes great video's, a 3x optical zoom, flash memory, pocketable, everything we wanted, but we can't see if we are getting the shot we intend because the screen is completely washed out by the sun.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RobB

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 04:10 AM »

Hey Ken,
The Sanyo doesn't have a viewfinder, but the LCD screen isn't too hard to see in the bright sun. It also has a feature that allows 60fps that might be useful for capturing smooth motion. I've never had to use it, I think the 30fps does just fine. Here's a sample from my cheapie camera...

Flying the Prism 4D in little to no Wind...

I'll bet they've even improved the camera in the 6 months since I got mine... I haven't looked.
~Rob.

kenmcneill
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 05:36 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions folks.  There are just far too many choices for the uninitiated!

Ken
Gamelord

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 11:22 AM »

The Go Pro does NOT have a view screen on it.  You need to plug the camera or the flash card into a computer to see / edit.

ko

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 03:51 PM »

good luck to you ken on your purchase and damn rob. you look like your having way to much fun. guess ill have to try the 4d again

[in order to save space on the server attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:53 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography