GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 01:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping Fields Clean  (Read 1723 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: July 23, 2010, 09:11 PM »

Today I went out to a local flying field. It's junior high school with a _huge_ field. It's basically 5-6 soccer fields with a lot of extra room. It draws in a lot of soccer players and their families with only one location to park. After I got done flying I broke out a garbage bag and spent about 20 minutes picking up garbage from field around the parking area. It _really_ made a difference. Many people were around and I hope I put the idea into a few peoples heads. Or perhaps they just thought I was crazy.  Smiley

I propose next time you are out flying that you take a moment to walk around and pick up garbage from your flying field. No, it's not your garbage but that does not matter. It's all about doing your part and taking care of _your_ field. If you fly with other people, every gets a bag and you can cover even more area.

Thanks for your consideration!

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:12 AM »

Sounds like you care - I think that's great

unfortunately now everyone at your local field thinks they hired a janitor
I have been surprised for years how many people could care less about the appearance of their public areas

Too many times I have walked passed a empty garbage can that has a pile of stuff surrounding it, like its OK to toss the garbage at the can and leave it if you miss

another is in the parking lot where someone opened the car door and emptied the ashtray onto the ground

I used to have a retail store(Egghead) and was confused to find sunflower seed shells on the floor, it made me wonder if that person spit them on their floor at home (I think not)

Hell, the local garbage collection company spills stuff during pickup, but I have yet to see them get out of their truck, I call the office to advise them and their response is "all garbage is to be bagged and tied" so they only come back out if their are bags laying on the ground, I get to pick the grocery bags out of the cactus

enough ranting from me, I agree a small contribution makes a big difference, if we all practice this the world will be a better place (at least the flying field)

Maybe you could organize a cleanup with the school and get more people involved

Just my thoughts on the subject

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

tcope

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:14 AM »

unfortunately now everyone at your local field thinks they hired a janitor
I have been surprised for years how many people could care less about the appearance of their public areas
I hear you... but think about this... it all starts with one person. If everyone thought it was someone else's garbage then nothing it going to change. If 50 people see me picking up trash and only _one_ does the same, then I have just doubled the effort.

Also, it only took me about 20 minutes to pick up almost all of the trash. So even if it's just me... that is fine. What I get out of the flying area is far more then 20 minutes of my time.

So it's not about what other people do or think... its about you (any reader of this post) taking a moment and making their field clean. Don't wait for someone else to start the process... start it yourself. I think you will be surprised.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
kiteking

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 03:42 PM »

I hope you got that I think your actions were positive.

If you can get more people involved then the fields will benefit.

Good luck with your effort

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 09:49 AM »

People who throw trash on the ground are the descendents of the cavemen who use to defecate up stream from the water hole.

I always see plastic water bottles on the field after an event at our parks.  Lots of trash and recycle barrels around too.

John
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 01:25 PM »

We have a gentleman, Danny, who spends much of his day at our flying field, unofficially watching over the park, picking up a bit of trash. It's just his way of giving back a little. Great guy, always brings Steve over the daily paper when he's finished and shares a story.

Most people know right from wrong, but something changed in our society a while back, wrong became cute, not just for a rebellious teenager but for adults too. We laugh at things like bumper stickers that say "My Kid Beat Up Your Honor Roll Student". We've all become critics, but offer no solution or effort to make things right.

tcope, Bravo, the simple act of getting out there visibly and picking up some trash is going to make people think the next time they have a bottle in their hand they don't want to hold onto anymore. They may throw it down still, but they are going to feel a bit of shame for it. That's a powerful weapon, it just became not quite so "Cute" to trash somebody else.

Whatever happened to the bumper stickers that said "Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way"?

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tcope

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 02:21 PM »

I guess I look at it a lot like kite flying... getting people to fly is a little like hurding cats. But it only takes one person... even it's only one person... to fill up the sky. Don't wait for a bunch of people to be first... YOU be first. Same way with leaving the kite field a little better then when you got there. Don't wait for someone else to start... just do it.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Nitrobex

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 08:19 PM »

Could do this while you are waiting for the wind to pick back up if you live inland.  Cool

"No it is not out of control, I am making it do those flips and turns."
rxburner
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 10:49 AM »

I was walking down the street the other day, and 2 teenage girls were unwraping and eating some fast food. They were just droping their trash on the sidewalk as they talked. I said "Hey pick up your trash!" they looked at me like I was a lunatic and just walked away.
Rx
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 08:51 PM »

same sorta thing happened to me yesterday. guy on a bicycle finishes a bottle of water and drops it in the street. i asked him to pic it up and he flipped me off . lucky i was in a good mood for both of us i just dont get it sometimes pretty sad really

have fun kurt
Moonfog

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 08:57 AM »

same sorta thing happened to me yesterday. guy on a bicycle finishes a bottle of water and drops it in the street. i asked him to pic it up and he flipped me off . lucky i was in a good mood for both of us i just dont get it sometimes pretty sad really

What a coincidence. I was riding my bike the other day, finished off my water and dropped the bottle on the ground. Some guy tells me to pick it up so I flip him the bird.....nah, I'm just kidding!  Cheesy

My pet hate is smokers who flick their cigarette butts out of their car windows. I'm sure most cars still have ashtrays....don't they??  Cool Angry
kiteking

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 09:51 AM »

I'm sure most cars still have ashtrays....don't they?? 

Hey, why get the ashtray dirty when you have that huge trashcan called "earth" all around you.

I was following a car on my motorcycle one day and a coke can came flying out of the passengers side, glad I was wearing a helmet

But cigarettes being tossed out can get caught in your clothing (while riding behind them) and will destroy your shirt before you get burned to discover its there

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

kiteman
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 05:08 PM »

Most humans are pigs, and that is why mother earth is getting choked to death with trash, world wide!!

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change