GWTW Forum
May 23, 2018, 07:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somewhere, Anywhere: A Dual-Line for Gusty Winds?  (Read 2273 times)
cinichol
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 24, 2010, 11:28 AM »

I probably already know the answer to this, and it's probably "none," "zip," "zero."

I live in a place where the wind is nuts, no matter what exact location I'm using. Occasionally get that light, smooth day, but it's very rare. What, if any, is the BEST dual-line kite out there that can handle very irregular winds?

I'm talking wind that is slow and nice, then big gust. Or steady and medium-strong, then suddenly nothing. That kind of thing.

Like I said, I probably already know the answer. But what kite can handle this stuff BEST?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 12:06 PM »

Welcome to the Forum.  Smiley

There are many vented kites that have screen panels which may be covered. This type of kite can be thought of as a slightly heavy standard to full vented.

There are also UL kites that have leech lines which can be loosened to absorb gusts of wind by converting the energy into sound (loud kites) by letting the trailing edge vibrate.

There is no one kite that will handle all "normal" winds well (3-20 mph), although there are many that will survive those conditions.

There has been one kite that had "inherent dynamic" variable venting: The Speed Limit which has 4 flaps that open and close automatically with the wind. It is an "old-school" heavy standard kite.

Other tricks to play with a kite when the wind picks up:
Use very heavy line
Add speed brakes
Loosen leech lines

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 12:12 PM »

If you want tricky try to stay away from pitchy kites with oversteer. They just get super sloppy when the wind shifts about. You are correct, no kite is ideal in those conditions but some are deffinately better than others. Because I fly in very turbulant winds most of the time too, the kites I fly on a regular basis tend to be better in those conditions.

I like:
Mohawk XS
Transformer TL has been impressing me
Widow Maker
Sea Devil
Fearless

But whatever you fly the wind is key to tricking well, so don't get frustrated and make the best use of the good days.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 03:12 PM »

I got a set of wind breaks on my Widow Maker and it has really changed how I fly in gusty crap conditions.  They smooth out the gusts very nicely and also slow the kite down and make it easier to trick with in the stronger wind conditions.

Although probably not as good as a variable vent system, it does work wonders for conditions that use to really frustrate me.

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 03:42 PM »

i am a long time fan of the Speed limits.....awesome awesome kites.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Gardner

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 04:51 PM »

There was also the THP Platinum with variable vents which opened and closed when wind speed increased or decreased.  This also was an old school precision kite.  And it was LOUD.

Gardner
tcope

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 05:35 PM »

I'd go with wind breaks as Gamelord mentioned... I find that they are the best to offset gusty wind. The wind slows down and they provide less influence on the flight of the kite. It picks up and they react more.

The ones I prefer connect between two stand offs. I find that these affect the characteristics of the kite very little. But not all kite have two stand offs. The other kind are the ones that go between the kite bridle and the kite line. I find that these tend to pull the kite a little and change the way it flies... but it's not too bad. If you have the time and resources you can also rig up a set that go from the lower spreader and connect to the upper spreader. I made a set of these for my STX.

These can be made from screen for sale at most home improvement centers. You also need a sewing machine but that is about it. I usually make up several sets and hand them out at kite festivals when its windy.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 08:42 PM »

Gardner,

IIRC, the THP Platinum did have a variable venting zipper system, but it had to be landed and changed manually, not automatic. Now, after looking at a few of my pictures, I am no longer sure about them. Here are a couple of pictures of different Falhawks.

Platinum
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/2006Kites#5431592876704113330

AVS on smaller Falhawk
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/2006Kites#5431590606250461298
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:50 PM by chilese » Logged

adx1592
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 09:13 PM »

Kens new Mongoose is GREAT in gusty winds. (Blue moon)

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 02:57 AM »

the THP Platinum did have a variable venting zipper system, but it had to be landed and changed manually, not automatic.
The zippers were used to set the maximum opening and the bungees applied the automatic adjustments up to that limit.

In practice on the few occasions I used mine I set it wide open and adjusted the bungee to open more or less quickly. You'd really have to be a hardcore Team/Precision flyer to take this sort of thing seriously though.

Meanwhile back at the original topic.... the best kite in the world in bumpy conditions is still worse than a mediocre kite in smooth winds.

Mike,
in the middle of Finland FFS.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 10:24 AM »

If you read the wind conditions from the OP, a vented is probably a very poor choice. He's talking winds that change suddenly. Vents do take the edge off gust but they also run out of wind quickly instead of tapering down like a standard or UL. So when the wind drops, a vented drops fast. An exception would be the Fearless Vented Light or something similar. That kite quite literally has the broadest wind range of any kite I've ever flown. They are $550 though so many will never consider it without giving it a good try out.

So a standard that handles shifty wind well would probably be the way to go. Also an UL that handles similar shifty winds when there are low wind days with some higher periods. I agree with the wind brakes for when the wind is higher. But again, if the winds are say 4-5 mph and gust up to the teens or so, the brakes will only help with the higher gusts and will render the kite unflyable at the lower end where most of the flying would be. I (sometimes) add screens when the wind is steadily over about 12mph or say, 8+ with lots of higher gusts. I mostly add them when the wind is pretty high though.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
tcope

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 11:12 AM »

He's talking winds that change suddenly. Vents do take the edge off gust but they also run out of wind quickly instead of tapering down like a standard or UL. So when the wind drops, a vented drops fast.
Agreed... this is why'd I'd recommend wind breaks more then a vented kite. Also, it saves having to buy another kite.... and we all know where that leads.

As far as a vented kite that handles gusts and lower winds, I've always _loved_ my Level One vented (I wish I could remember which one it is... its one with like a hundred holds in it). It's good for gusts as there is still a lot of sail to keep it up in 5mph winds but it dumps just enough to tame 15mph winds as well.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
https://www.youtube.com/user/UtahKiteFlier
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom