GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 09:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comp Flyers  (Read 2599 times)
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: July 24, 2010, 02:53 PM »

Not VF, but real, kite festival Comp flyers, individual, team. dual or quad.

I know there are alot of teams that put on demos and such, but comp flyers?

Are there any left?

Besides VF, I have not heard about comps in a long while

"Do what you like"
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:03 PM »

Yes    there  is  a  few  of    us  left    but  we  are  a dieing breed  Cry

Good air always Bobby
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:44 AM »

Check out the NW.  Lot of comp fliers there.  Lot of young uns too.  I think there are 7 outdoor comps and about 5 indoor comps.  Indoor is rediculous and will get bigger with our boy Connor bringing in a few.

John
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 08:20 PM »

I fly competitively on the east coast.  While the Eastern League may not see the turnout that it once did, it's still going strong.

I'm looking forward to coming out to Oregon this fall to go head-to-head against some of the NW flyers.
Nitrobex

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:22 PM »

Not to hijack the thread but Jared, where do you fly?  I am an eastcoaster  Cool

"No it is not out of control, I am making it do those flips and turns."
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 09:26 PM »

not many of us in the Midwest.
It's a dying event.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 10:25 PM »

Not VF, but real....
Are you suggesting VF isn't real ?  Embarrassed

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RonG
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 02:38 AM »

I fly competitively on the east coast.  While the Eastern League may not see the turnout that it once did, it's still going strong.
Too many veterans leaving permanently, not nearly enough new people coming in to replace them.

My wife observed just this past weekend that when we first got involved, we got to know a lot of "former competitors" who still demoed, staffed events, and acted as both mentors and cheerleaders to the new crop of fliers.  That is what seems to be lacking these days - people stop competing and simply disappear (we are guilty of this as much as anyone).  There are a lot of reasons why, I suppose.  For one thing, it's a little painful to see what little is left of the events we knew and loved when we started.  Most are gone, and the rest are mere shadows of their former selves.  There's also the vicious circle of staying away because you know few of your "pod" will be there.  Most of us feel the strongest bond to our peers in competition, those who joined around the same time as us and we battled with (and against) as we made our way up the ranks.  In my case, I know I'm much more likely to see those people outside of a kite event than at one.

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 03:33 AM »

Not VF, but real....
Are you suggesting VF isn't real ?  Embarrassed

Mike.

I think what he's suggesting is that you can't put a ballet in a can and then bring it out on comp day....................In 'REAL', when it's done..........It's done........no second or third chances........that's all,  IMHO, of course...... Kiss

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
RobB

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 04:35 AM »

I fly kites to relaxand have fun. I understand the idea of a demonstration, where everyone gets a chance to go on the field and show off what they've got, but you lose me when you start comparing who's bettter than who. I watched some of the competition at Wildwood, just not for me. I think the field would've been better used if more people got to fly on it, not just one person at a time. Out of 4 fields at Wildwood, one was designated as a dual-line field, and that was the competition. If you weren't competing, there was no where to fly.
~Rob.

RonG
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 06:32 AM »

If you weren't competing, there was no where to fly.
I don't know about that, Rob.

I didn't compete this year at Wildwood, but I had no trouble flying on any of the festival fields.  In fact, I'd venture to say I did more actual flying at Wildwood this year than in all previous years when I did compete. 

Yes, you have jockey for space with a lot of other people, but if I could manage it with 125' lines it was certainly doable.
RobB

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 06:38 AM »

I was using only 75' lines, flying in the spot that I was assigned, and by 11am I was only able to practice flapjacks, the rest of the quad fliers got so close. This was on Saturday, there was no problem on Friday. The only option on Saturday was to either watch, or hike far south of the festival itself.
The upshot is that I spent more time with my family, and got more time to admire the excellent single line display.

RonG
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 06:47 AM »

I was using only 75' lines, flying in the spot that I was assigned, and by 11am I was only able to practice flapjacks, the rest of the quad fliers got so close. This was on Saturday, there was no problem on Friday. The only option on Saturday was to either watch, or hike far south of the festival itself.
The upshot is that I spent more time with my family, and got more time to admire the excellent single line display.

Where were you trying to fly?  I didn't hear anything about "assigned" places.  I tended to stay relatively close to the competition field so I could be ready to go out and judge when they needed me, but other than that I just plopped my kite down wherever I saw a space on the field, unrolled my lines, and flew.  The quad guys made room accordingly.  I didn't really think too much about it.

RobB

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 07:25 AM »

Hey Ron...
The organizers asked me to check in at the main tent to get a place to fly each day. One field was dedicated to single line and show kites, on field was for the competition, one was for manufacturer's demos and instruction, and the other field was for quads. No space for someone who just wanted to fly a dualie for fun.
Like I said, no problem on Friday, plenty of space, and flew all day. Luckily, I got there early on Saturday and got a couple of hours before getting crowded out.
Just kind of disappointing to drive 6 hours to find that there's no place to fly for someone who just flies for fun. Sad to say, next year I'll save the hundreds of $$$ and fly more, and only drive 5 minutes.
~Rob.

RonG
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 07:32 AM »

The organizers asked me to check in at the main tent to get a place to fly each day. One field was dedicated to single line and show kites, on field was for the competition, one was for manufacturer's demos and instruction, and the other field was for quads. No space for someone who just wanted to fly a dualie for fun.

Ah, that's the difference then.  I don't bother to ask, just go out and fly and they can (try to...) kick me off if they have a problem with it  Grin

Easier to get forgiveness than permission, as the saying goes...

Sorry to hear it was a bad experience for you.  The last thing events like that can afford to do is drive more people away  Sad
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document